Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 04:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Always do!

Old 04-29-2017, 04:28 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not to be confused with your butthurt posts about why American women are somehow inferior, of course.

Yeah, me, too. As noted, we're a Navy family. Extremely high numbers of foreign born spouses in our communities.

My FIL married a nurse practitioner from Taiwan after he and my MIL split, and their daughter, my SIL, is half Taiwanese, half French-German.

Nope.

Nope.

Weird, U.S., too!

And Canada, Europe, Australia, and Africa. Who knew?

My point? That my husband didn't enjoy dating as a single sailor stationed in South Korea and Japan, and was glad to start dating again when he got back on his home turf.

But, you know, feel free to read into it whatever fictional point suits your agenda.

LOL. Points for trying to make an issue where none exists, when YOU are clearly the one with the agenda.

Also, not for nothing, it's kind of presumptuous of you to lecture happily married people about what does and doesn't work to find a partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
How did people get off on the overseas things so much.

But here's my take. OLD is about meeting someone that in many cases is 200 miles away in a small town that has no possibilities where they are at?
Yeah, 'cause Atlanta, San Diego and the Bay Area are classified as "small towns." Lol.

Quote:
So what's any difference about meeting someone that is 2000 miles away, if you already travel and meeting them 2-3 months down the road is not an issue. There is no difference. Do you think the girl/boy that lives in small town USA really fell in love with you just because of you? Uh, it was also his/her ticket out of small town USA.
Do you even know what you're saying here? All of the men I dated lived in these areas, and many of them had good experiences with some dating sites. I'm talking men here, not boys looking for a way out of their rural town.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:11 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
How did people get off on the overseas things so much.

But here's my take. OLD is about meeting someone that in many cases is 200 miles away in a small town that has no possibilities where they are at? So what's any difference about meeting someone that is 2000 miles away, if you already travel and meeting them 2-3 months down the road is not an issue. There is no difference. Do you think the girl/boy that lives in small town USA really fell in love with you just because of you? Uh, it was also his/her ticket out of small town USA.
I totally agree, we're usually on the same page. Or you could look at this way the small town / country girl had very limited options and that's why they ended up with who they did. It's never the guy was just taking advantage of a poor little country girl from the sticks. Yet when it's a man marrying a woman from another country, the man is doing something wrong some how..or evil. Even if it's a legit love story.

I can look at someone's wife and say something really shallow like ..she could have done way better than this loser, if she was only born in NYC instead of podunk. Quite often, it's true...but no one ever looks at it that way.

We see how the game works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
LOL.

I met my husband, who lived three miles away in our metro of 2.5 million.

Just another take.

Also, I grew up in small town U.S.A. my "ticket out," was my education...if I'd even SOUGHT a ticket out, which I didn't, because I don't mind small towns (and in fact did undergrad - by choice - in a town just as small, albeit 500 miles away). Then I came BACK to a small town to work in newspaper publishing as a young adult, and moved on after about a half-dozen years.

Here's the thing, educated, motivated, curious, skilled people don't NEED "tickets out" of situations. They live their own lives. And, typically, put themselves in situations they enjoy.

I don't really get why dating online would be equated with "wanting someone to come rescue you from an unhappy situation." But, if that's your experience, it's your experience. It just wasn't mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

Yeah, 'cause Atlanta, San Diego and the Bay Area are classified as "small towns." Lol.

Do you even know what you're saying here? All of the men I dated lived in these areas, and many of them had good experiences with some dating sites. I'm talking men here, not boys looking for a way out of their rural town.
You both completely missed his point and are oblivious..but that's ok, it's just par for the course. He wasn't referencing your specific personal stories he was making an analogy in regards to men that talk to women in other countries online like on EHarmony or something. What is it with women that are OLD shills that are so quick to do that? Women on the west coast, of which there seems to be a lot of on here, seem to live in a bubble or something. It's like they never "get" it. It's so wierd.

People in the US in many parts of it have to branch out to a very large radius to give themselves a lot of options. Especially men around 35+. but women don't have a lot of options in some areas either. Everyone wants the best odds to find someone they like...

for me on EHarmony I let myself be matched with women from the U.S. and about 14 different countries and I'm still going to talk to my friend from Costa Rica.. If people like Chowhound and a few others on here have a problem with that just because they have outdated beliefs and issues with men talking to different types of women, I really don't care.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 04-29-2017 at 05:54 PM..

Old 04-29-2017, 06:46 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post

You both completely missed his point and are oblivious..but that's ok, it's just par for the course.
Lol for days at me being oblivious when you fail to comprehend anything that falls outside your paradigm of thought while simultaneously claiming everyone else doesn't get it. Your knack for logical fallacies is proof enough. Check back when you've figured out what the thing you're missing is in virtually all of these discussions.

Quote:
He wasn't referencing your specific personal stories he was making an analogy in regards to men that talk to women in other countries online like on EHarmony or something.
Oh, you're right, that's what he was saying. Something, something, something... Eharmony, something, something... small town. Yep. That's it. Right in that post. Glad you cleared that up for the class.

Quote:
What is it with women that are OLD shills that are so quick to do that?
Wait. What is it we're accused of doing other than speaking of our own successful experiences, and that of others we may know? Oh, I think I know, us successful OLD wimmenz were all about gaming the system, right? Using the not-so fair ratios in our favor. It was raining men and we just had to partake of the plethora in hot maleness that is OLD.

Your gospel is right and true, oh wise one.

Quote:
Women on the west coast, of which there seems to be a lot of on here, seem to live in a bubble or something. It's like they never "get" it. It's so wierd.
The bubble of hot maleness? All of those available men hittin' up our DMs? Yep. That's it. You're so right.

Quote:
People in the US in many parts of it have to branch out to a very large radius to give themselves a lot of options.
Oh, really? Do tell us more. Maybe something we don't already know. I mean, my husband had to expand his search by hundreds of miles to see actual matches, but what do I know? It's not like I know anyone, especially men, that used dating sites, and understands there are many factors that determine success and/or struggle.

Quote:
Especially men around 35+. but women don't have a lot of options in some areas either. Everyone wants the best odds to find someone they like...
Oh, like that time my husband transferred to Modesto, CA for work and was beyond frustrated with the, well, lack of compatible matches? Virtually all of the attention and messages came from women he wasn't into for a host of reasons. His heathen/atheist self didn't exactly fare well in a very conservative and religious town. Good thing he fared much better in the capitol.

Quote:
for me on EHarmony I let myself be matched with women from the U.S. and about 14 different countries and I'm still going to talk to my friend from Costa Rica.. If people like Chowhound and a few others on here have a problem with that just because they have outdated beliefs and issues with men talking to different types of women, I really don't care.
Dude, nobody cares who you date, or where they're from. You should try reading some time. My initial response to the issue of women from other countries has nothing, nothing to do with whatever you're going on about here, and everything to do with what *some* men *here* stated on several occasions, when the topic of Western/American women/dating was brought up in the past. Said posters gave their reasons for why they exclusively date women from X countries. Some of us who were around when these posters were active probably remember what they were referring to, but let's just say their whole spiel was rooted in bogus stereotypes.

Now, just so you know, some of my good friends are from overseas, as they are or were military spouses who met their husbands when they were stationed in Japan or other overseas countries. Spare me the "you uncultured simpletons who don't like women from other countries. You guys are so jealous."

Thinking we care about who a random internet person dates is a figment of your imagination. Let me reiterate again, after having broken it down a second time, this is not the dating version of xenophobia. This is about the basis for why *some* men have expressed why *they* prefer overseas women to Western women. Those reasons are based on their perceptions of these cultures, and those perceptions and assumptions are based on various stereotypes. I didn't make reference to you or your friends and kin, or your barber's friend's half sister. This exchange only deals with what I can know and observe by what people share, and in the context of *this* matter, I'm referring to posters in CD-R.

You have me using asterisks in hopes you'll get it.

We done now?

Old 04-30-2017, 01:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'll break it down for American men if they aren't quite getting it.

Boys, you're a meal ticket for someone in a third world nation. They don't want you, they want that security and safety that an American citizenship gives.

I actually don't blame them, You come from a ****hole country, you do what you have to do have to do. We don't have the unpleasantness of raw survival here that a lot of other places have. Of course we do in that that we need a job and all, but we have many many many more opportunities than other places have.

Women are even in less of a position to bargain, of course they're going to jump on some fat ugly American dude because even if he's making 30k a year he's rich.

LOL... this stuff is common sense 101 here and every time some stupid nitwit here starts on wih the women from the Philippines or some other place I just get embarrassed for them.

Get ready buddy to have 18 families members here in a few years and buckle up when she leaves you..... LOL Cause she must certainly probably for sure will.
Ahem! It may have escaped your notice, but it has not escaped mine. Since... oh around 1999 America has been in a socio-economic free fall, and can now fairly be characterized AS a Third World Country given its GINI coeficient of 42, and a host of other (poor) health and wellness metrics, and dismal happiness and global competitiveness indices. Get off the high horse. Fat, ugly, American men are NOT sweeping Thai or Filipina women off their feet in large numbers anymore (or ever, really). They are OD'ing on Fentanyl or 9mm rounds in their cars. The majority of women that come to America from Third World hellholes keep to their own kind. They have little attraction for, or interest in American men of any stripe, and vice versa for the most part. The ethnic women who do attract attention from American men are NOT usually desperate. They are not all just out for a Green Card and then vanish on the hapless sucker who sponsors them. I know of long lasting relationships between Americans and elsewhere. These relationships will likely never be a significant majority. You don't need to preach about something that is a total non-issue. In my limited experience with what you are going on about it was a German woman who blindsided an American co-worker of mine, and Russian mail order brides do a brisk trade in broken American hearts and bank accounts. I wasn't going to go there but someone has to. You're laying it on a bit too thick.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:55 AM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Ahem! It may have escaped your notice, but it has not escaped mine. Since... oh around 1999 America has been in a socio-economic free fall, and can now fairly be characterized AS a Third World Country given its GINI coeficient of 42, and a host of other (poor) health and wellness metrics, and dismal happiness and global competitiveness indices. Get off the high horse. Fat, ugly, American men are NOT sweeping Thai or Filipina women off their feet in large numbers anymore (or ever, really). They are OD'ing on Fentanyl or 9mm rounds in their cars. The majority of women that come to America from Third World hellholes keep to their own kind. They have little attraction for, or interest in American men of any stripe, and vice versa for the most part. The ethnic women who do attract attention from American men are NOT usually desperate. They are not all just out for a Green Card and then vanish on the hapless sucker who sponsors them. I know of long lasting relationships between Americans and elsewhere. These relationships will likely never be a significant majority. You don't need to preach about something that is a total non-issue. In my limited experience with what you are going on about it was a German woman who blindsided an American co-worker of mine, and Russian mail order brides do a brisk trade in broken American hearts and bank accounts. I wasn't going to go there but someone has to. You're laying it on a bit too thick.
I keep searching the internet for a perfect stroking it icon and damn, I wish I could find one for this post.......

Here.. a couple more for ya...

Old 04-30-2017, 05:11 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
Wth happened to this thread?

People still go to happy hour? I thought that died a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I did pretty well when I was in Miami also.
Apparently your Miami experience was oddly different than mine. I don't remember having enough down time to even consider going online to look for a date. Women are everywhere in Miami, more neck breakers per capita than just about anywhere else I've been in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Some of the "alternative-looking" women I know never struggled for dates and quality matches, nor did I. I don't know if "friendlier" is the reason some men look to other countries for a bride. The reasons given by some here have nothing to do with friendly, and everything to do with their perception of the women in that country, and their (U.S. men and "foreign" women) seemingly exotic qualities.
I'm just saying the more traditional look is currently what's in style.

Maybe friendlier isn't the right word, perhaps more approachable or more open to conversation would be a better way to put it?

Also have a friend who did the find an Asian bride overseas while in the military thing. Not from a 3rd world country either. But yeah, the meal ticket and mail order scam thing is probably fairly common.

Although I will say one of the reasons I've known a few guys to prefer going overseas is for thinner women. Surprised nobody mentioned that elephant in the room yet.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:50 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
All of the guys I know, and know of, that married women from other countries have all been married for years..some many. They either met online on EHarmony and a couple other sites or the military. and that's why this subject is somewhat relevant to OLD. The mail order "theory" is a sham just tossed around by butthurt people that don't agree with men dating/marrying different types of women so they're trying to invalidate the success stories.

These pairings are becoming way more common than you think I was in 2 large, different metros in the past weeks that I haven't been to in a while and I saw more interracial pairings than I have ever seen in my life. It was everywhere. It's here to stay and no one's going to stop it. I find it very refreshing. Anytime someone has to start whipping out sad tired stereotypes about these happy people are showing their butthurt, plain and simple.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:33 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Interracial doesn't mean they are dating someone from another country... I see round 60% interracial pairings between here and SF and not many of them are with people from different countries.

You are off base if you think anyone is hurt at the thought of guys going out of the country to find women. I know a lot of those which have blown up, and a few which succeeded. No of the guys went to look for women in another country, they just happened to be there and fall in love.

There is a huge difference between that and a guy that targets certain areas for whatever reason.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-03-2017, 11:03 AM

365 posts, read 258,020 times
FWIW, when it comes to physical attractiveness I go for women who are similar to me. That is they are HWP but certainly don't have the body of a super model (at least not what we see in the magazines and on TV). After that their attractiveness is usually based upon how they dress, being neat and clean, and taking care of their health. Not movie star good looks, just doing the best with what they have. Like me.

I try to do the same, since women notice things like how the clothes fit, are the shoes shabby or nice, and in my case, how I deal with being baldish.

Of course none of this matters if the person is a jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships