Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:15 AM

522 posts, read 343,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
That's a bit strange. I would think it was the other way around.

Define spark, OP?

With me, the "spark" usually occur with conversation.
Spark = chemistry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 10:17 AM

522 posts, read 343,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
You'd be surprised how many people are out there who love to string online "girlfriends" along just for fun when they already are in a relationship.
I didn't realize that. My responses are usually late at night as I have a weird schedule so perhaps that thought has crossed her mind.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I greatly preferred talking on the phone before meeting in-person, and I honestly can't think of a situation or date where we didn't talk on the phone first.

I was able to really assess their conversational skills and various other things that can be read in tone, intonation, diction, banter, ease of conversation, etc. I also have a thing for voices, so I was especially curious and wanted to know what their voices were like.

My best matches and dates (several that led to relationships) started with hours-long phone conversations.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:42 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
That's a bit strange. I would think it was the other way around.

Define spark, OP?

With me, the "spark" usually occur with conversation.
Ditto.

And all of the men I spent a lot of time talking to, I ended up dating, or went on some dates and remained friends. In my experience, the phone conversations occurred soon after exchanging messages or IMs, and the date was within a matter of a few days, distance and schedules permitting.

Talking on the phone bypasses that whole job interview first date awkwardness. I actually never dealt with the first date weirdness or stilted, forced and boring conversations. I made sure to build a rapport before the date, so that often led to better, easier conversation and feeling relaxed and comfortable.

Of the many dates I went on during that period of time, only two were awkward, because the men were, well, socially awkward. (one had never dated or had a girlfriend and had just moved from another country and the other on the autism spectrum)

Old 04-24-2017, 10:55 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I greatly preferred talking on the phone before meeting in-person, and I honestly can't think of a situation or date where we didn't talk on the phone first.

I was able to really assess their conversational skills and various other things that can be read in tone, intonation, diction, banter, ease of conversation, etc. I also have a thing for voices, so I was especially curious and wanted to know what their voices were like.

My best matches and dates (several that led to relationships) started with hours-long phone conversations.
I'm the same way. Every time I met someone new (i.e. at the grocery store) we exchange phone conversations for at least a few days. There's just certain/specific things I want to know before I waste any of my time to go on an actual date. There's only so much that I can personally ask in a face-to-face brief encounter in a public setting.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:01 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Phone 1st, and then maybe somewhere like a Starbucks. Ive met some women in my dating days who seemed nice in the initial 5 minute conversation where I met them, only to call them up and ask....what are you doing, only to hear...nothing, about to roll be a blunt and chill.

I dont advise 1st dates to be at fancy restaurants any more, since there are many serial daters out there now just looking for a free meal. Why spend $50+ to find out the nice girl you met that seemed sweet is borderline illiterate, has 3-4 kids, or might still be technically married. Basic 1st dates lead to nice 2nd dates.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
Phone then meet. I've been able to weed out people just by talking to them over the phone.

Their personality was different online and it would of been a waste of time to meet in person.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:10 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Assuming "comfort" is the number one thing:

Text
Phone
Meet

Would be the order of things that would usually proceed.

If you're both comfortable jumping passed one or going right to meeting one another, that's up to you guys and how you feel.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Funny guestion, if you're on a dating site and not a chat room. What are you expecting?

Old 04-24-2017, 12:24 PM

216 posts, read 214,247 times
I would insist on a phone call. Deal-breakers are not just content-based for me...

In January, I agreed to go out with a guy I met online. He set up the date through text. We had a quick call before the date to confirm the details (and because I just felt like I needed to hear his voice first). He was a total hick! His accent was terrible! His grammar was worse. For example... "... if me and you hit if off..."

"Me and him" did not hit it off... for many reasons... including his attempt to force a handy to happen over appetizers.

Last edited by JJ09990; 04-24-2017 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships