Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:16 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I usually don't chat on the phone before meeting in person, but if that's what she wants to do and you actually want to meet her, I think you should do what she wants.
I like your way of doing things, but it seems like a lot of people wanna talk a bunch before meeting.

I think it's okay to talk a little bit before meeting, but you don't want it to turn into a phoneship or a pen pal situation.

In my experience, I've talked more girls out of liking me by chatting on the phone for hours and hours and hours and hours, while I probably could have been seeing them in person. I also had girls that wanted to talk all the time, yet never made plans to see me or accepted my plans to meet and always made up excuses. And when I got a little bit older, I put the kibosh to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 11:46 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
That's a bit strange. I would think it was the other way around.

Define spark, OP?

With me, the "spark" usually occur with conversation.
People tend to get stuck at the "online" part and start mentally masturbating to no end, I bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Funny guestion, if you're on a dating site and not a chat room. What are you expecting?
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09990 View Post
I would insist on a phone call. Deal-breakers are not just content-based for me...

In January, I agreed to go out with a guy I met online. He set up the date through text. We had a quick call before the date to confirm the details (and because I just felt like I needed to hear his voice first). He was a total hick! His accent was terrible! His grammar was worse. For example... "... if me and you hit if off..."

"Me and him" did not hit it off... for many reasons... including his attempt to force a handy to happen over appetizers.
Yet, you still went through with the meetup? Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Honestly dude, I don't know how you don't see hearing the voice as key. What if its super squeaky, or just irritating in general, or her diction is terrible. Recently I met someone who although had great pics, speaks super fast, is heavily accented, and speaks with a lisp. Not deal breakers, but not someone I wanna hear speak forever. I just personally think its weird to not wanna hear a voice. A woman might find a hot. guy and he ends up sounding like Mike Tyson.

In this day and age of being able to block your number its not that big a deal for someone to have it like back in the days
No kidding on call blocker. I also dated a gal half a lifetime ago who had a horribly high pitched voice. Kinda cute, but mom hated her, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Although I'd prefer a quick meeting first, I'll go ahead and go through with the phone call.

What if she asks me for information that I prefer not to give out yet (i.e. where do you work)? Just say I'd rather not answer yet? Before anyone makes a snarky comment, I know a girl who broke up with a guy and he tried calling her at work and even sent flowers to her.
How about be a man and draw lines you don't want crossed? Anyway, that had to be one really likeable gal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I like your way of doing things, but it seems like a lot of people wanna talk a bunch before meeting.

I think it's okay to talk a little bit before meeting, but you don't want it to turn into a phoneship or a pen pal situation.

In my experience, I've talked more girls out of liking me by chatting on the phone for hours and hours and hours and hours, while I probably could have been seeing them in person. I also had girls that wanted to talk all the time, yet never made plans to see me or accepted my plans to meet and always made up excuses. And when I got a little bit older, I put the kibosh to that.
Funny thing about that jibber-jabber stuff, but if you ever browse a sugardaddy site, the women are oddly quite averse to non-stop messaging in their quest to find a guy whose circles they'd otherwise never get the chance to dart into...wonder why that is? Oh, the demo ratios kinda favor the guys. Most of the women on those sites fit in better on POF and know they have to strike while the iron is hot. Just saying, because Ivanka Trump clones aren't hanging out there.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 3,015 times
Meet up or use Skype.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:18 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
I've been exchanging messages with a woman I met on the site for the last couple of weeks. We seemed to have hit it off.

She mentioned exchanging phone numbers and chatting on the phone. I'm not really a big fan of talking on the phone in general especially to someone I've never met.

I figured the next step would be to meet in a public place, determine if there's a spark, and if so, then we exchange numbers and the talk on the phone if there's mutual interest.

You can chat with someone online all you want and talk on the phone but you can't really determine if you're really compatible unless you meet. Even if we were to chat first, I would likely be giving her a Google voice # anyway because I don't really know her.

What do you all prefer?
You'll get a good idea if there's a spark or not over the phone and use that experience to decide whether you want to meet them

This would only occur from OLD which I don't use but if I did I personally would insist on a phone call or 2 before a meet, if they wasn't willing to do so for whatever reason then they won't be meeting me simple

Old 05-29-2017, 10:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
You'll get a good idea if there's a spark or not over the phone and use that experience to decide whether you want to meet them

This would only occur from OLD which I don't use but if I did I personally would insist on a phone call or 2 before a meet, if they wasn't willing to do so for whatever reason then they won't be meeting me simple
I agree.

I personally can't stand talking on the phone either, OP, except with someone I care about. But you can tell a LOT about how the date(s) will go by how the phone calls go.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:35 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times
Was following along on this thread, and noticed its been about a month. Any update OP? Hopefully you'll be back soon to report everything went well!

Last Activity: 04-28-2017 11:43 AM

Old 05-30-2017, 05:00 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
I fully believe OP is a good guy, but this can be a dangerous situation, particularly for women.

I hope any women who meet up with a stranger makes sure it happens in a very public place and tell some friends where they will be, and when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships