Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:58 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,513,748 times

Advertisements

what would you think, or how would you feel? I thought it was really sweet, and probably the greatest thing any guy I dated had ever said to me, because unlike telling you how pretty or great you are, it actually implies some feeling, about how you make them feel...like they actually like you and want you around (hopefully...lol). But I also know that you're not supposed to think someone else can make you happy, or want to find someone to "make you happy", because no one else can make you happy, and thinking like that will only lead to unhappiness, because you'll always be looking for someone else that's going to make you happy, and after the initial excitement, realize you're still the same person and still unhappy, so you look for someone else...which is why I didn't really say anything, because I don't really think like that and don't think I felt the same. I liked him and thought he was great in a lot of ways, but thinking about it, I don't know if I was any happier overall...maybe some, but idk. Maybe because I've always been so introverted and independent...idk.

So what do you think? Am I just dense, and that's how you're supposed to feel? Or was I right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 11:03 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,118 times
I'd be very wary of someone who couldn't make themselves happy and relied on me to do it for them. Self-esteem is a wonderful thing.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I'd be very wary of someone who couldn't make themselves happy and relied on me to do it for them. Self-esteem is a wonderful thing.
It is possible that their self esteem is just fine and the person they are speaking to makes them happier.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:37 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,513,748 times
Quote:
That's kind of what I thought...whether it's someone or something, thinking that's going to make you happy is detrimental. Which is something I learned myself. I would say it's more a self-reliance thing, than self-esteem, at least for me, since I'm independent and need my time and space.

He also made a couple other comments about how he didn't smoke as much when I was around, because I made his anxiety or whatever go away...lol. Which I also thought was sweet and was flattered by, but also sort of wary. Like, you're going to replace smoking with me? um ok...let's see how that works out...lol.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Someone can cause you to feel happiness, which is usually what people mean by "You make me happy."

That's a decidedly different animal than someone counting on you for all their happiness in life, however. Healthy people derive happiness from a multitude of things, and don't look exclusively to a partner to provide it.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:06 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times
No one can "make" another person happy. Relationships are merely icing on the cake of life that each person should already have mixed snd baked for themselves.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:34 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,860,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
... But I also know that you're not supposed to think someone else can make you happy, or want to find someone to "make you happy", because no one else can make you happy, and thinking like that will only lead to unhappiness, because you'll always be looking for someone else

...Maybe because I've always been so introverted and independent...idk.

So what do you think? Am I just dense, and that's how you're supposed to feel? Or was I right?
I know I'm not dense, and I know someone who makes me feel happy when I think of them, or they just text me because they're thinking of me. I see their message and feel happy. If they were out of my life, yeah I probably would look elsewhere, not because I'm 'addicted' or dense, but because it's really nice when it happens.

I've never questioned that feeling, and I don't worry about how I'm supposed to feel.

I think you should be flattered that you make him feel this way.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:19 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Someone can cause you to feel happiness, which is usually what people mean by "You make me happy."

That's a decidedly different animal than someone counting on you for all their happiness in life, however. Healthy people derive happiness from a multitude of things, and don't look exclusively to a partner to provide it.
This. Very few are just happy w/o cause or reason. We all have things in life we enjoy, and thus it brings us happiness to engage.

Now, if they said "I have been unhappy for a long time, and you're the only thing that brings me joy" THEN you may need to worry a bit.

Far as anxiety, that's something many suffer from. And like stated above, there's things that can make it better. Being with a partner, or friends + family. A certain activity. Some do arts and crafts. Some exercise, etc.

And sometimes things and life are in fact better with the right company. Like sex. You could pleasure yourself, but I don't think many would deny having another person is better. lol

So, again if you hear someone say "You make me happy", take it as a compliment. Don't automatically think that they're saying you are their whole world and they are dependent on you. Comes off a tad presumptuous.

Last edited by HappyRain; 04-25-2017 at 01:36 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 01:41 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
Quote:
Has it ever occurred to you stout-hearted that a good relationship can make a person happier than they were alone?

Old 04-25-2017, 01:45 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Has it ever occurred to you stout-hearted that a good relationship can make a person happier than they were alone?
No. Read their other thread.
'I can't give up. If I do, I'll just be alone forever.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships