Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:15 AM

354 posts, read 2,076,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Alliedrefuseworker - What do you do for work? Are you finding it difficult to get a girlfriend? What inspired this post?
I am married and work for Allied Waste as Residential Driver collecting recycle materials. At a pay scale similar to my h.s. friend work in the field of Electrical Engineer. One thing I notice talking to him is he dont know if he going to be in the company for long to previously being fired from his last job for not producing or improving on new technology. A degree dont guarantee success. I know first hand I do better than most of my friends who have went to college with B.S. and M.S in Bussiness and Enginering. I feel its the person behind the degree and his ambition to be successful.

I'm not making six figures a year but I feel successful. I own a home and a rental property. Before then I work at a factory as a working foreman possibly could have been a department manarger if I chosen to, but couldn't stand the thought of sitting behind a desk reading email and planning all day. Its fair to say management come and go if things aren't right productively with any company. My goal out of h.s. was to become and Electrical Engineer. The day I had orientation with the counsellor at Devry he ask me why are you here. At the time I was working my factory job 19 at the time making 36k. He showed me this chart of different pay scales for the field of Electrical/Eletrican work and said you already there. Most grads after 4 years are making your salary today so is it worth spending time and money to make the same pay. Needlessly I didn't go. So I work my factory job until the doors closeup 7 years later to have an average earning of 68k a year. I went to go work for an similar job pay slightly lower than previous but right away. Management couldn't get jobs that soon many went on to work on the production floor at factory jobs.

Actually I had a 30 year old women tell me before in 2004 I was beneath her because she have a degree and I dont. I laugh because here she is a 4 year grad working in a lab making 36k living at home with mom and dad, car brokedown because she need money for repairs so she driving her pops car. Which I later after work gave her a jump to get it going because I didn't take it personal what she said, besides look at what I was up against. She complaining about her baby father not giving into child support, him feeding her baby cheetos for breakfast. Either have no common sense in the world. She asking me how do I do it. How is it, that I'm mortgaging my own home, driving a 40k truck, my wife 27k car, a restoration 72 Monte Carlo I spent close to what I paid for my wife car and only be 27 of age. I told her I start setting my goals early after h.S. instead of partying like most teenager do. I start building my finacial goals at 20 when I mortgage my first house. Common sense my parent instored in me growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
It doesn't matter to me either way, although it would be weird for me to be with someone who made a lot less money than me - say, half my salary. However, I'm at a different stage of my life now, too. I'm not raising kids, so I want to be able to travel and have some fun before I retire (I'll be living on a lot less money once that happens!).

I don't care about education level. I do care very much about common sense! Some people are all about "book learning", and have a string of degrees after their name - and they have a hard time boiling water. I couldn't deal with that. Give me someone practical and down to earth!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
My honey has a Ph.D. in Renaissance Studies. His mind is mercurial and adroit. Conversations with him are stimulating and he forces me to use my brain. His education has made him extremely supportive of my current graduate studies. Because of his experience as both a student and professor, I feel as if I have a certain edge in my own educational pursuits.

Besides, I find his brilliance absolutely dead sexy!

Old 03-08-2008, 10:46 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Alliedrefuseworker - Well I did say that not all blue collar workers are equal... and I am happy to see that you are smart with your money and basically in control of your life. With both blue collar and white collar jobs, there will always be many worker bees and only a few lucky ones that make it to management, or even to strike out on their own to start their own business.

And no, having commonsense has nothing to do with how well educated a person is. It seems like a person has it, or they don't. And I've know both blue collar and white collar people that lacked in the commonsense department. And we all have different strengths. There are something like 32 different types of intelligence. Hopefully, we all have a chance to maximize our full potentials.

And money isn't everything. I feel that personal happiness is a more important marker of success than how high ones salary is or how much stuff one has. Actually, I feel that in our current culture, those who make more money, also tend to have more debt.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. And sometimes, it just happens that our life paths don't cross with a person that is more than the stereotype in our minds. Consider that the young woman you mentioned who lives with her parents and has a white collar job. Well sure, your life is better than hers and you don't have a college degree. However, it's her parents that put the fear of being only a blue collar worker in her mind so that she would work hard at her academics. That's what my parents did and I do like the person I turned out to be. I truly wish that higher education wasn't so expensive. I wish that all young people would be made to have a college degree before entering their adult life. It's not about having to learn things you may not need later on in life, for me, it's about giving young people more time to develop and learn about the world, meeting new people their age, exchanging ideas, and finding themselves before entering the adult workforce and having to work a 40 hour week. It's about expanding ones horizons and many people seem to stop making the effort to learn new things once they leave school.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:56 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

some of you I swear...........are just.........

err,a degree doesn't always make you smarter.So your defenition of a intelligent woman is a degree?

I really need to stop on this thread.

I want to talk about good music, flim, art, travel, politics, etc. Blue collar people are ok to enjoy low-culture (such as celebrity gossip or sports), but they cannot fullfill some intellectual issues. No offense, though, just reality.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:58 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
Of course, a degreed person would be preferred, in probably all walks of life, marriage among them.
A degreed person will have many more options and opportunities, which means a man with a degree is probably going to be able to provide much more for his family.
Someone with just a HS diploma is defeated, right out of the gate, because they have very few options.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:41 AM

354 posts, read 2,076,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Someone with just a HS diploma is defeated, right out of the gate, because they have very few options.
I disagree with that. All white collar job doesn't pay well there only selective few Excutives, scientists, engineers, doctors, etc.,as someone put it earlier most white collars are just like working bees blue collar jobs. There are trade jobs that pays as well as engineers, scientist you get the drift, so we are not defeated just yet. A lot of these executive/managment job are stressfull from what I hear. Also the expense that come with that success. I found this to be ironic why is that few college grads feel they have to own that highend car to have the feeling of success? My first thought will to be to own a home first then settle for whatever car you can afford. I think thats more productive in my views.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:58 AM

206 posts, read 529,041 times
Default Interesting!

My cousin and her husband both have degrees. They have been together since high school. They decided to get a degree after marriage and children, however the husband got his degree first. My cousin was still struggling to get hers due to the fact she had all the responsibilities of taking care of the house and kids because he was so self-centered and felt as if people were beneath him.....even his wife. My husband and i are both planning to get our degrees in order to make more money. I would say it doesn't make a difference whether a person has a degree or not if you really love them........see that's the problem now everybody think their jobs, pay,employers and education provide for them when really it doesn't matter........ if you know Jesus, because he's our provider. I'm in no way bashing education.....i just think some people put way to much emphasis on the material aspect of things. As a lot of the posters here has stated.....it does not matter one way or the other if you have common sense and get up and go about yourself.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:05 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Hmm... I work in a drs office. I am a female. I have a High School Diploma, and have graduated from business school.

Sometimes I wonder, I know I work in an office, but do people consider me 'blue collar' or 'white collar'

I wonder this, because I do not have a degree, and I work around physicians. Of course, I am not up there with them. I am down below... one of the plain folks.

I am intelligent. I can hold a fine conversation, speaking of the arts, film, travel.. any of it.

I do not prefer to speak about politics. I don't like that subject, at all. Good music, nature, so many things.

My mind is a sponge. Once it is in there, it doesn't leave, not unless I will it to leave.

What am I? Who am I? Am I less of a person because I do not have a college degree? Because I have only gone to business school?

Am I a bit more of a person because I have done more than just high school?

I don't think so. Do I have a lot of money? No. I do not. Am I less of a person? No. I am not. Sometimes, I think because I have less, I can do more. I have to strive.

It is my time to live, and I do it well, now. Maybe I am just no collar. Why can't we all be no collar? Why can't we all just be people in this world?

Just people. People that are no better than the next. I know, that would not be exciting.

There have to be people that think they are better than us. It makes us strive. Strive to do and be our very best. Overcoming such obstacles in life.

I have no collar. I am just me. I am just Robyn.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:06 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebecressy1 View Post
My cousin and her husband both have degrees. They have been together since high school. They decided to get a degree after marriage and children, however the husband got his degree first. My cousin was still struggling to get hers due to the fact she had all the responsibilities of taking care of the house and kids because he was so self-centered and felt as if people were beneath him.....even his wife. My husband and i are both planning to get our degrees in order to make more money. I would say it doesn't make a difference whether a person has a degree or not if you really love them........see that's the problem now everybody think their jobs, pay,employers and education provide for them when really it doesn't matter........ if you know Jesus, because he's our provider. I'm in no way bashing education.....i just think some people put way to much emphasis on the material aspect of things. As a lot of the posters here has stated.....it does not matter one way or the other if you have common sense and get up and go about yourself.
He is our provider, if you believe that. Whatever we may need, is always provided for, by Him. I have come to know this in my 'no collar' life.

Thank you for your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships