Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:51 PM

424 posts, read 236,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I've said this before many times but I guess I'll say it again: everybody settles whether you're a 1 or a 10. To suggest you don't have to settle implies an inherent cognitive dissonance and a touch-and-go relationship with reality.
Of course everyone settles on something....because no person (and no situation) is absolutely perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 11:04 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Options do dry up.

In my teens and 20's, men would literally line up to date me. My early 30's brought on a new challenge of me having to actually look for men. Now in my late 30's, I can look and look and not find anyone to date for a year.

Did you reject a lot of men when you were in your early 20s? Did you think some were too "homely" or "lame" and that there was someone "better"? Perhaps you are getting a taste of your own medicine years later in middle age.

Or perhaps not? I just have to ask. I know one woman who was a serial dater in the early 2000s. She was in her prime in the mid 20s and had many dating options. We hit it off but she quickly dumped me for another guy. She clearly thought that other guy was "better". Today, she is a divorced single mom in her 40s with two children. What goes around comes around.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:28 PM

424 posts, read 236,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Options do dry up for women.

In my teens and 20's, men would literally line up to date me. My early 30's brought on a new challenge of me having to actually look for men. Now in my late 30's, I can look and look and not find anyone to date for a year.
Fixed that for you. I'm a 30 year old man and I've never had more dating options than I do now.

I had a ton of success dating in college too, but I was looking for something different back then and I didn't really understand what was necessary to get the women that I wanted.

These days, I know exactly what I want and how to get it. From what I've seen, this is common for 30-something men that have their acts together.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:15 AM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
Fixed that for you. I'm a 30 year old man and I've never had more dating options than I do now.

I had a ton of success dating in college too, but I was looking for something different back then and I didn't really understand what was necessary to get the women that I wanted.

These days, I know exactly what I want and how to get it. From what I've seen, this is common for 30-something men that have their acts together.

Meh. If that makes you feel better. I was widowed at 40 and started dating at 42. No shortage of men thought most were younger and older, with the least being my age. But certainly more than enough to date (I was only interested in dating a small percentage), and found my husband!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-06-2017, 11:18 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
That's because you're only 30! lol You haven't lived long enough for the tide to turn. Same goes for women who enjoy popularity in their 20's; still going strong at 30. No surprise there.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:20 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Did you reject a lot of men when you were in your early 20s? Did you think some were too "homely" or "lame" and that there was someone "better"? Perhaps you are getting a taste of your own medicine years later in middle age.

Or perhaps not? I just have to ask. I know one woman who was a serial dater in the early 2000s. She was in her prime in the mid 20s and had many dating options. We hit it off but she quickly dumped me for another guy. She clearly thought that other guy was "better". Today, she is a divorced single mom in her 40s with two children. What goes around comes around.
Bitter, much?

Old 05-06-2017, 12:18 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
Options dry up, it's a reality.
It makes more sense, I think, to accept that reality changes, and your idea of your options are ought to change as well.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:28 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:

This is a belief that comes from the habit of turning around and staring down after you flush instead of closing the lid, flushing and walking away.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:43 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:

That is very unfair. Of course if someone has a lot of options they're going to have to turn people down, male or female. You can't date everyone--you just need one and there are many factors that go into making a decision and then we don't always make the right one, but maybe it was the right one at the time.

Sorry you got your heart broken, but I'd guess that everyone on here has been thru that.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:42 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:

So I guess you dated EVERY woman who ever wanted you and lived happily ever after with all of them? You never dumped anyone, stopped calling anyone, ghosted anyone, or decided not to pursue someone because you liked another woman more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships