Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 12:13 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,550,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
It really depends on what "settling" means.

For men: settling typically means not being able to land the hot girl you've always wanted. You end up with an "average" looking/chubby etc. woman instead of the Instagram model.

For women: settling typically means a man with baggage (kids, ex-wife etc.) who is pretty good looking or a man with no baggage that you never would have given the time of day in your 20's. Women don't typically settle for the ugly guy with baggage...it's one or the other.
I disagree with this. Maybe not ugly with baggage, but I wouldn't say that most women end up with someone pretty good looking either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 12:27 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,329,313 times
So I would think settling is a conscious surrender of sorts. Ignoring some important criteria so that you can be with "someone". Reassessing priorities is often a good idea. Abandoning an important need or deal breaker isn't, and would be more like settling.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:00 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,838,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
For men: settling typically means not being able to land the hot girl you've always wanted. You end up with an "average" looking/chubby etc. woman instead of the Instagram model.

For women: settling typically means a man with baggage (kids, ex-wife etc.) who is pretty good looking or a man with no baggage that you never would have given the time of day in your 20's. Women don't typically settle for the ugly guy with baggage...it's one or the other.
For the first one (men), I would add "dating the first person who shows interest, just to have a date/partner". Other than that, this post is right on. A thousand times so if it's your first romantic experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
So I would think settling is a conscious surrender of sorts. Ignoring some important criteria so that you can be with "someone". Reassessing priorities is often a good idea. Abandoning an important need or deal breaker isn't, and would be more like settling.
Been there, done that, cheaped out on the T-shirt.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:32 PM

599 posts, read 691,058 times
It's a proven fact options dry up as you get older. Today is my birthday, No date, less and less messages from.online, I need to dial back my age, since I look young

Old 05-13-2017, 03:34 PM

48,401 posts, read 34,538,432 times
I disagree. There may be less single people out there in certain age groups, but there still are people to date. If I found out someone lied about their age I probably would stop seeing them.

If you look young, that shows in your pic. Guys I talk say they look at pics first, if they find them attractive the age doesn't matter.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-01-2017, 08:41 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,253 posts, read 4,288,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
It's a proven fact options dry up as you get older. Today is my birthday, No date, less and less messages from.online, I need to dial back my age, since I look young
So you're going to lie on your online profile in hopes of finding a relationship? Bad move and would have been a deal breaker as soon as I found out. I don't put up with people that are dishonest or not who they say they are.
BTW, most people on online dating sites think they look younger than they are which is utterly hilarious.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:32 PM

860 posts, read 965,012 times
If I went to a bbq and all the filet mignon was gone, and all that was left was hamburger and I was hungry I would eat the hamburger, you take what's available even if it's not your first choice.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:48 PM

424 posts, read 235,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
If I went to a bbq and all the filet mignon was gone, and all that was left was hamburger and I was hungry I would eat the hamburger, you take what's available even if it's not your first choice.
Agreed. I'm in the process of doing this now. Hamburgers can taste good too.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:17 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,390,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
Comparing food to a potential life partner, lol.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:02 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,100,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Comparing food to a potential life partner, lol.
Food is much more important. You can't live without food. Life partners are an option, not a necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships