Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:10 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
The reason I'm going is because he's a friend and not really that much more excited than I am I don't think. I do believe he's hoping to get lucky, tho he won't, and Friday is my birthday and he said he wanted to take me out for that, despite me showing little interest. I do like him as a friend and my other Friday night plans fell thru. Also, I keep hoping this one will surprise me. He's handsome, wealthy, has a great personality, and has tiny grandchildren (I'm a sucker) and mentally stable. The problem is A. little chemistry and B. We've never had a truly meaningful conversation yet. Also, he's made a couple of racist comments. sigh. . . so, in other words, I'd be settling.

The racist comments would be enough for me to say thanks, but no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:19 PM

48,514 posts, read 34,800,001 times
I can't imagine that situation occurring, but I would much rather be single than with the wrong person.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-03-2017, 08:40 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,341,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Lookalike? Nah, it's not the same; I'd be "settling" for less Lol

I've found life isn't always as plan (so unpredictable) and nobody is perfect, especially when it comes to relationships. There's times when I would think I'm settling; which turned out to be the best relationships I've been in. There were women that I thought were near perfect (which ended up being terrible).

I try to make the best choice possible when dating. If I'm settling, so be it, nothing is set in stone. I can always leave at anytime if I'm not happy.
Yeah, tell me about it. Ain't that the truth.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:30 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,025 times
No, that would never be an option for me, much rather be single. Ever since OLD became available, this hasn't been a concern as it is much easier to find someone with specific things I am interested in. Similar to other posters here, I always did a lengthy profile which made things even easier.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Thank you. Being alone ain't so bad. Being with the wrong person or people can be very harmful.
Absolutely.

The years I was single by choice were very formative.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:50 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
No, that would never be an option for me, much rather be single. Ever since OLD became available, this hasn't been a concern as it is much easier to find someone with specific things I am interested in. Similar to other posters here, I always did a lengthy profile which made things even easier.
So are you with someone now? I got lots of dates OL but few relationships and none that lasted over a year. I'm just sick of dating.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:55 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
The racist comments would be enough for me to say thanks, but no thanks.
Yes I agree and that's a big reason I decided not to date him, but sadly I live in a pretty racist area (temporarily I hope) and it's in the air and getting worse--seemingly so, since I know now it was there all the time. I do talk back though--if someone says something inappropriate, I call them on it.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:31 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,869,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
With that said, since I cant get with Jessica Alba, I would be settling my entire life
That's not settling. That's being realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
I couldn't imagine settling for someone I had no desire to be with at all.
I can't, either. Well, now. But tell that to my 18-year-old self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I'm curious. Why go on the date on Friday night if you're not even that excited about it? I ask, because I've done the same thing, and more times than not, the date was doomed from the beginning. If I wasn't at least a little excited to meet them, I probably shouldn't had of gone on the date. However, my selfish @ss decided to go on the date anyways. It just wasn't worth it and I felt the same way when I could sense the woman wasn't as excited to be out on a date with me.
i kind of felt the same way about my first girlfriend, at least after the first date. I was thrilled to finally start seeing someone (or "going out", as people still said back then in 2001), but I was disappointed in every other way. Namely, her looks not being what I'm attracted to, and her being far less interested in exploring the city than I was. Why did I keep seeing her? I didn't feel like I had any other choices. Why did she keep seeing me for as long as she did? Hard to say; I had virtually no insight into how women think.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I got lots of dates OL but few relationships and none that lasted over a year.
I'm just sick of dating.
Rampant unrealistic expectations aside...
it seems that few active OLD users are looking for more than dating.

Serial dating? You betcha.
Some maybe rising to serial shallow monogamy? Sure; a fair bit.
Really looking to settle in with a singular someone for the duration? Not so much.

The more that anyone has going on in their lives otherwise...
the less inclined they seem to be to look for or to expect more than some sort of seasonal arrangement.
eg: Summers coming up! Time to find someone good for beach weekends and road trips.
eg: Falls coming up! Time to find someone good for the parties and TG dinner at Mom's.

Last edited by MrRational; 05-04-2017 at 08:00 AM..

Old 05-04-2017, 07:54 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,869,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The more that anyone has going on in their lives otherwise...
the less inclined they seem to be to look for expect more than some sort of seasonal arrangement.
eg: Summers coming up! Time to find someone good for beach weekends and road trips.
eg: Falls coming up! Time to find someone good for the parties and TG dinner at Mom's.
Haha! So true.

It's why the breakup season generally falls between New Year and Valentine's Day. People want someone to kiss at midnight, but don't want to invest into a pricey Hallmark holiday. That goes for both men and women.

I, too, have a lot going on in my life hobby-wise. So a "seasonal arrangement" is looking pretty good. But most women my age are looking for a serious long-term relationship, so the least I can do is be honest and hope for the best. Otherwise it's just bad juju. Perhaps I'll have better luck finding "seasonal arrangements" without selling out morally once I pass the big four-zero.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 05-04-2017 at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships