Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 658 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I have been dating someone for a little over 3 months. I know its been kind of short, but we both get along real well and we both see a future here. Here's the problem....She's got a lot going on in her life: work stress/busyness plus helping out her mom when needed plus stuff that (As she put it) I don't even know about.

The thing is I like her a lot and of course want to hang out with her a few times a week and I ask her about it. She has had to cancel on me a few times and I always respond along the lines of " I understand". Trying to show that I was looking forward to it but am not upset about this.

The thing is, apparently its been stressing her out as she doesn't feel like she can give me as much time as I "Need" even though I don't really "need" as much as I am asking for. We had a talk about it and how she hates letting me down, and though it was productive she came over a few days later to hang out but ended up having a "Talk" with me and left, basically saying she's got too much going on right now. She never said she wanted to break things off but the tone was there. She did mention that I was perfect for her, but she also needed a little space. After processing the whole thing after she left I texted her and asked a few questions. Her response was along the lines of "I don't want to answer any questions, please not today, not right now, not this week. We both need time to think".

Later on that day she did let me know that her heart was broken over this.

After giving it a few days, I texted her back and said that I had been thinking and wanted to talk. I told her that I will respect her wishes to not talk this week, and asked if at some point we could talk about us. She said yes, maybe we can reconnect next week.

Here's my question. I understand if she's got a lot going on and if she's just too stressed out she may not want to be in a relationship, even if she has feelings for me, and there's nothing I can do about it. I don't want to persuade her in any direction, but I do want to let her know that I am willing to work this out and do what I need to to support her needs and need for space/personal time. How should I approach this? I like her a lot and would like to continue this if she wants too, and am willing to work with her. Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 03:03 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonym1213 View Post
I like her a lot and would like to continue this if she wants too, and am willing to work with her.
It seems like you've already expressed that.

Don't contact her anymore. Have the courage to let her miss you.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
anonym, I think I'd put a deadline on this. Say, first of July or so. Keep in contact every other day or so, with just a text with an interesting pic, or "thinking about you hope you're having a good day". If things don't markedly improve, it's probably time to move on.

I'm curious about the "stuff you don't even know about", and it doesn't seem she can put a timeline on when she'll have time for you. There are some people who have a very clear and obvious stressful schedule - they're finishing up a master's degree, working part time and have an ailing parent and no other siblings to help out. In that kind of situation, you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm kind of not sensing this here.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:11 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times
Quote:
Hey everyone. I have been dating someone for a little over 3 months. I know its been kind of short, but we both get along real well and we both see a future here. Here's the problem....She's got a lot going on in her life: work stress/busyness plus helping out her mom when needed plus stuff that (As she put it) I don't even know about.

The thing is I like her a lot and of course want to hang out with her a few times a week and I ask her about it. She has had to cancel on me a few times and I always respond along the lines of " I understand". Trying to show that I was looking forward to it but am not upset about this.

The thing is, apparently its been stressing her out as she doesn't feel like she can give me as much time as I "Need" even though I don't really "need" as much as I am asking for. We had a talk about it and how she hates letting me down, and though it was productive she came over a few days later to hang out but ended up having a "Talk" with me and left, basically saying she's got too much going on right now. She never said she wanted to break things off but the tone was there. She did mention that I was perfect for her, but she also needed a little space. After processing the whole thing after she left I texted her and asked a few questions. Her response was along the lines of "I don't want to answer any questions, please not today, not right now, not this week. We both need time to think".

After giving it a few days, I texted her back and said that I had been thinking and wanted to talk. I told her that I will respect her wishes to not talk this week, and asked if at some point we could talk about us. She said yes, maybe we can reconnect next week.

Here's my question. I understand if she's got a lot going on and if she's just too stressed out she may not want to be in a relationship, even if she has feelings for me, and there's nothing I can do about it. I don't want to persuade her in any direction, but I do want to let her know that I am willing to work this out and do what I need to to support her needs and need for space/personal time. How should I approach this? I like her a lot and would like to continue this if she wants too, and am willing to work with her. Thanks for the advice!
So next week comes and the same thing will happen. She will say it is not the right time.

People are busy. I'm busy. You are busy. She is busy. Guess what. If she cared about you, she would make the time. My advice: talk, not text her, and tell this girl (not woman) that you are moving on. There are other women.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:13 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
It seems she doesn't have time for a relationship.

I would not contact her, indefinitely.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:23 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Leave her be and make it known that you can't wait forever if she doesn't want to get back to you.

She doesn't sound interested.
there is no point putting back in to something that doesn't give back.
It's wasted potential.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:35 PM

11,784 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It seems like you've already expressed that.

Don't contact her anymore. Have the courage to let her miss you.
This.

To me this is a break-up talk using vague words to soften the blow. You don't end a relationship you want to be in.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:39 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

Broken over what? What's there to have a broken heart over? There was no breakup, according to what you told us, so what's she talking about?

What I got from the story is that she said she was really into you. She said you're perfect for her, but she has too much going on right now. I don't see a problem here. Even you, yourself, said you've been asking for more time from her than you really need, so just dial it back a bit. Give her two weeks, for starters. Maybe don't even contact her for 2 weeks, not even to text, "Hi, thinking of you! I hope you're ok", because even that might lead her to feel pushed. Give her a real breather, and then, in week 3, ask her if she's up for getting together to talk and discuss.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:41 PM

11,394 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Leave her alone completely.

There's a good chance she has another guy who is also in contention. If that's the case, he's the priority, because you are not.

Very few women will ask a guy to give them space if they're truly interested. The rest is just an easy let down.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:02 PM

142 posts, read 97,226 times
Jeez, what is it with - we have to be in contact everyday or at very least once a week so I can stalk err know you are into me.

OP, you are not gonna die if you don't talk to her for a week or God forbid, 2 weeks , are you? I don't know I mean what is she busy with anyway? Work? School? What? If you know it is really legit she is a busy woman and she has the decency to 'talk' to you that she will be, at least, that week, then, what's your problem?

Actually what's the problem with all of you wanting to have constant contact with people? Jeez watch TV or something. You ever think of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships