Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 07:24 AM

40 posts, read 41,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Also the purpose of the ring is more to symbolize unity of the couple and a symbol of their love. It's not to show the world that the person isn't available. Give me a break.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Jimmy Fallon's almost lost his finger when his wedding ring got caught on something. Years ago I worked with a guy whose left ring finger was missing. Same thing, ring got caught on something. That being said I did usually look at a guy's hand to see if he was wearing a ring if I thought he was attractive.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:32 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Because their decision to wear or not wear a ring has nothing to do with you.
This^^^

OP, maybe she wasn't married but just said that to get rid of you.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:41 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
How do you ever get to know a woman if you never "strike up a conversation" with one? Do you just not know any and never will?
We get to know each other through activities or friends. I believe that is a better way to get to know a woman because I don't do the cold approach at all anymore.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:42 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I have to admit that I was intrigued by this too, I'm probably wrong, but the scenario I envisioned is that 49ers fan is with a friend, or friends, they run into a group of women known to the friend(s), 49ers will just talk with his friend(s), until one says, "49ers, this is Carole, Carole, meet 49ers."
Suddenly Carole is someone that 49ers now knows, so he can safely 'strike up a conversation.'
Nailed it!

Old 05-17-2017, 11:45 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, it's true that you weren't wearing it because you were in a relationship - but you were wearing it to indicate you weren't interested in being approached. So it's kind of the same thing, for the purpose of the guys who might be interested in you.

For whatever the reason, you aren't open to someone hitting on you.
If you would read what I wrote I stated that *some of my girlfriends* did this, not me. I have never worn a ring on my left ring finger unless I was engaged or married. When I was single my ring finger was also single.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:43 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,985 times
Because I know I'm married & my husband knows he's married & that's all that's important to us We don't do or not do things to satisfy a complete stranger. Sometimes I wear mine, sometimes I don't. I never wear them at home, so often I forget, when I'm just running out for a quick errand. Lots of people gain or lose weight & their rings don't fit them anymore. My husband never wears his b/c it doesn't fit him right now. I have one set of friends who never wears theirs b/c it's just not important to them. They know they're married, so it's not important to them to broadcast it to anyone else.

I think many married people wear the rings for themselves, not for anyone else. So, if it's inconvenient for you...oh well. Take the time to talk to someone new that you meet & you'll learn whether or not they're married. Without any rudeness implied, I don't care about making a single guy's life more convenient. I care about what's comfortable for me. I don't owe the world knowledge about my marital status. It's too bad that you're missing out on meeting some cool people b/c you won't talk to anyone wearing a wedding ring. Personally, I've never noticed rings, even back when I was single, if someone seems interesting, I talk to them.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:29 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why do some people not wear a ring although they are married / engaged / in a permanent relationship? I really don't like it when I like someone, want to get to know her, only to find out later she already has a husband, boyfriend or whatever. So I waste my time and energy on trying to get to know someone - in vain When I see someone wearing a ring, I basically ignore that person, I don't waste my time and energy on that person, and everyone is happy...

After all, the purpose of the ring is to indicate to society that the person is not available, right? So, why deliberately cause confusion and misunderstanding?
My profession did not allow me to wear a ring most of the time [Electronic Technician on FBM subs]. I carried my ring in my wallet for the first 10 years of marriage.

My Dw went through various health issues where bloating caused issues with her wearing a ring.

By our tenth anniversary, niether of us were wearing our rings.

This year will be our 36th anniversary.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:31 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My profession did not allow me to wear a ring most of the time [Electronic Technician on FBM subs]. I carried my ring in my wallet for the first 10 years of marriage.

My Dw went through various health issues where bloating caused issues with her wearing a ring.

By our tenth anniversary, niether of us were wearing our rings.

This year will be our 36th anniversary.
I hope she is well now mate

Thank you for sharing congratulations on your 36th year

Old 05-17-2017, 05:57 PM

142 posts, read 97,361 times
I will just repost my post from another thread:

I am only married for 5 years and I don't usually wear my ring. I just am not used to jewelry really. While my husband when he takes off I get mad and nag him to wear it, which he always say - why? You never wear yours.

My parents were married literally till death do they part when my mom passed. But I honestly don't see them wearing wedding rings. My bros, I never seen them wear rings, both divorced now. My sisters, all of whom married more than 2 decades, when they lost their ring or got too small, they did not wear it anymore.

I actually ask one of my sis where her wedding ring is she said, no idea, don't care.

I guess we're a family that don't care about rings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships