Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 06:52 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was part of an expat family, and while the part about working hard may be true, even in his off time he completely ignores her.

So this post is irrelevant.

Being the expat spouse doesn't mean you put up with being ignored and taken for granted.
BS. She's not taken for granted, but lonely. No different than any other expat wife in a third world country. It's not up to her husband to fill the void. Impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 06:54 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
She's ' not a member " so probably won't see it mate.

But thanks for sharing
Darn. Fell for it.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:00 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Darn. Fell for it.
No hardships mate it may well help someone else you never know

Old 05-26-2017, 07:24 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,207 times
OP so your husband is a pilot? Does it ever occur to you that when he is "sleeping over" somewhere else that he could actually have another entire family (spouse) over there? Your husband does not consider you priority, whether he is cheating or not, and you already have your answer in his actions.

I hope you will consider all the advice you have seen here (except a few unnecessary hateful comments from one person) and get out of this situation now while you're young and have not yet had children.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:01 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
And spending every day off surfing. Please.
Well, if you have the choice to be around your wife who nags and complains all day or you can go surfing, which one do you choose?

Not saying she IS a nag or bad person but maybe she is so unhappy that she became an overall unpleasant person to be around. Just a guess.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:02 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
OP so your husband is a pilot? Does it ever occur to you that when he is "sleeping over" somewhere else that he could actually have another entire family (spouse) over there? Your husband does not consider you priority, whether he is cheating or not, and you already have your answer in his actions.

I hope you will consider all the advice you have seen here (except a few unnecessary hateful comments from one person) and get out of this situation now while you're young and have not yet had children.
Hear, hear. Well and truly spoken.

It is a sad situation, or will be for a time, but you will live many lives in this lifetime, and most of them happy, I pray.

But I'd counsel you to rip off the Band-Aid.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post

Aha, so my realistic, while admittedly harsh comment is "hateful", your comment regarding some conspiracy theory about a separate family is what exactly? Helpful advice?

I'd say, you watched one too many Lifetime movies.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-26-2017 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:24 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
You're expecting someone to feel sorry for you over the actions you made all by yourself.
Not sure what to tell you really.

You have to help yourself and not focus on how others feel if you want to make positive changes in your life.

Your post comes off as someone incapable of being independent and all the problems that come from wanting things but not being able to obtain them by self.

How did you get to this point as a international couple without ever discussing logistics and plans for living arrangements and the future together?

Where expectations EVER discussed or is it all just now happening with the rise of your unhappiness?

Way harsh. OP agreed to an uncertain situation (several times) in good faith...and the husband's job ended up changing drastically from what it had been. Hubs doesn't see the wife as a priority - his many hobbies get more time than she does.

OP - this doesn't seem to be the life for you and people rarely seem to change, especially if they aren't open to at least hearing you out and considering your issues. People do need to make their own happiness - you'll need to find things you enjoy doing if your husband won't spend more time with you. I'd not advise having kids thinking this will help things. You can try planning other ways to connect with your husband - new things that you can actually talk while doing them!..unlike surfing.

Good luck OP!

Old 05-26-2017, 08:33 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
BS. She's not taken for granted, but lonely. No different than any other expat wife in a third world country. It's not up to her husband to fill the void. Impossible.
No, you can not look to any other person to "fill the void."

But one of the points of having a significant other is that there will be less of a void.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:33 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
OP,

With all due respect, you're whining, and listening to people who have zero idea what it's like to be an expat spouse. Let me give you my perspective.

My wife was a darn rock star when she followed me to the end of the earth (literally). You know what, she did what she had to do in order to get through the day. You think you have it tough? Try adding three little kids to the mix. By the end of it, she liked our little world travels a lot more than me. You know why? I was gone for 12 hours a day working in countries that have almost zero labor laws. You know darn well that your husband isn't frolicking around, but working his butt off.

You have two choices: Make the best out of a crappy situation or get on the plane and leave. But, stop whining. You know he's limited about what he can do. You aren't living in some US or Western European suburbia. Get a grip.
"With all due respect"...OP is whining (and that is YOUR interpretation - I see it as something thinking through and discussing and trying to figure out her situation) for very good reason. In your eyes she shouldn't say a word about why she does anything but at the first sign of unhappiness just jump ship. Because at least she would not commit the cardinal female sin of WHINING!

Well, if hubs would rather look up and see his wife not there with no explanation rather than try to listen to the issues, cool... Otherwise, THIS is how discussions begin - someone expresses how they are feeling. If that constitutes whining then I'd say you're a typical man who only wants to do his own thing with no consideration or compromise for another human being. If your wife wants to put up with you fine - but I'd not want to be tied down to you - I'd rather run my own life - you couldn't make enough money for me to put up with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships