Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 01:54 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I have a "friend" with special interests that did something quite....unusual, in my opinion.

There's certain websites that carries sensitive information for the world to see. My friend decided to go on said website and do some researching on people who are close to her. (her mom, best friends, etc...) How this came about is that she told me this website and she was able to tell me my address, phone number, my parents name's (even though that information was off) and other personal things. I was really creeped out about this. But the creepy part about it is that she admitted that she looked me up three weeks prior and found my address, saw my house and viewed my neighborhood. (of course without my knowledge or consent) But to be fair, she told me about the website and "allowed me" research her as well and know where she lives.

I told her the which part of town i lived in but I didn't tell her my address. But i felt really uncomfortable knowing that she did that behind my back for three weeks prior. Also, I'm having a 4th of july party and she was invited so she would have knew where i lived eventually, but I wasn't ready yet.

I'm not trying to brag but i do live in a very nice part of town and own a very nice home. I've been a "victim" of certain females having ulterior motives once they find out I have my own home, so I wanted to delay telling my new "friend" as long as I can. (again, she would have found out in a month in a half)

The reason why I feel violated because even if i thought about using those websites, there's no way I would have done that to her. I feel like that's an invasion on someone's privacy. And when she felt comfortable, she would have shown me where she lived, in due time.

When I told her that I was creeped out, she said, "well i viewed my mom, dad, and my best friends, so in total of five people. The fact that I viewed you as well means that I think of you highly"

Do you think I'm over reacting?
No that is creepy. Someone looking up information about you without your consent. I've had something like that happen to me, and it was a guy that did that to me.

But guy or girl, that is creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 01:57 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
No that is creepy. Someone looking up information about you without your consent. I've had something like that happen to me, and it was a guy that did that to me.

But guy or girl, that is creepy.

Some people are split on this thread. I think it's creepy because we are both extremely private people and we expressed that to each other. I can understand if she looked at my criminal history to make sure im not a goon but just to see where i lived and check out my neighborhood is not information that she needed to know IMO. I mean, she would find out eventually during my party but I wasn't ready for it now.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Is this:

Quote:
...I wasn't ready for it now.
... what bothers you most?

Old 05-26-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, she's not very tactful, is she???

The ONLY thing that would bother me, besides her questionable decision-making, is if she were using access that she has through a job, like if she is a police dispatcher, etc, and she takes advantage of her access to certain info to look up friends and acquaintances.

That is wrong.

I look up everyone I am going to meet with so I know a little bit about them for conversation.

I don't look up personal financial info or anything other than maybe a Facebook page etc. But a little recon is standard for a lot of people these days.

And that's my other concern. If her and I move forward with this relationship, how would i know she's not going to snoop around and check out my credit score or other personal information.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:02 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
That's my point. I would have never done that to anyone. Again, i would understand if I had kids and i wanted to make sure she didn't have a criminal history, but just to snoop is really awkward to me.

We are both extremely private people and we both expressed that to each other. And even if today's technology where things are public, I felt like she violated my privacy.
Well, chances that you get raped and killed by a woman are pretty slim. Hers are much higher.

I google all guys I date as soon as I have a full name. It is called being careful.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Is this:

... what bothers you most?

It does. I keep my home life private because, again not to brag, but i live in a very nice area of town and in a big house. I seen people's attitudes change when they see my living situation. If they're a guy, they'll ask for more money or for handouts. If they're female, i had some of them "flip the script" and go from a female friend to try to "run game on me."

Old 05-26-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Well, chances that you get raped and killed by a woman are pretty slim. Hers are much higher.

I google all guys I date as soon as I have a full name. It is called being careful.

Do you snoop of where they live? And im not worried about getting raped or killed, but it's the matter of privacy.

How would you like it if someone you're dating found out where you lived without you telling them; they done some snooping and were able to view your home and know your address?

Old 05-26-2017, 02:05 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
It does. I keep my home life private because, again not to brag, but i live in a very nice area of town and in a big house. I seen people's attitudes change when they see my living situation. If they're a guy, they'll ask for more money or for handouts. If they're female, i had some of them "flip the script" and go from a female friend to try to "run game on me."
Good grief. Where are you meeting these people????

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Some people are split on this thread. I think it's creepy because we are both extremely private people and we expressed that to each other. I can understand if she looked at my criminal history to make sure im not a goon but just to see where i lived and check out my neighborhood is not information that she needed to know IMO. I mean, she would find out eventually during my party but I wasn't ready for it now.
MAYBE she's just sooooooooo super excited about seeing you and THAT insatiable she can't contain herself and wait to your party so it's her way of being close to ya?

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

No offense Eve, but if you have to do all that when just meeting a guy then trust your instinct and don't go out with him. Your gut feeling is always right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships