Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:33 AM

7 posts, read 4,787 times

Advertisements

I just ended a relationship with a woman I found quite attractive who was a COMPLETE opposite of me in nearly every way. They say opposites attract but I have found the hard way that if you are true opposites there will be lots of conflict. We could not agree on anything. We saw the world and most issues completely differently. If she thought red, I thought black.

Have you ever been really attracted to someone who was basically a complete opposite of you? If so, did it work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 07:18 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,495,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young love View Post
I just ended a relationship with a woman I found quite attractive who was a COMPLETE opposite of me in nearly every way. They say opposites attract but I have found the hard way that if you are true opposites there will be lots of conflict. We could not agree on anything. We saw the world and most issues completely differently. If she thought red, I thought black.

Have you ever been really attracted to someone who was basically a complete opposite of you? If so, did it work?
Sorry to hear of your break up

Yes I've dated plenty that were either the opposite or better than myself and we had many differences but despite this I've had insane chemistry with most that come to mind.

We had plenty of fun so it can work however with many differences it depends on what you're both willing to adapt and compromise on

Old 05-29-2017, 07:19 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,697,701 times
Quote:

That may be because you two were well matched in terms of your rigidity and unwillingness to learn new stuff. Something has to give for this to work, especially if people are unwilling to try things they have never experienced before, or had a bad result with another person.

But to answer your question: Yes my wife and I are total opposites and we have learned a lot from each other.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:18 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,212,967 times
I think the "opposites attract" phenomenon is our subconscious attraction to people who possess the qualities that we lack. For some it creates too much conflict, but for others it creates a feeling of being complete.

Mr.Mathlete and I are opposites in most areas (personality, interests, apptitudes, religious beliefs, etc) but we share the same goals and values. While neither of us tries to change the other, our opposite natures have had a positive influence on each other.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:26 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,354,802 times
Nope.

Opposites do not attract for me. Never has. Like likes like. That has always been the case for me, and the way I like it.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:50 AM

473 posts, read 306,411 times
Yes, we had much of common but in the end we were like a night and day.. Way too different! Some people like it and some don't and I learnt that I don't.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,442,250 times
Nope. Commonalities and shared values have always been the basis of attraction for me. Don't need identical interests and goals, but do need compatible ones. A polar opposite wouldn't work.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:28 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,409,692 times
Quote:
She was pretty much my opposite although over time we did discover some commonalities but still retained a number of differences. I was intrigued and always did love a challenge and she seemed up to one.

I guess it worked. We were married for going-on 21 years before she passed away two weeks ago.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 AM

7 posts, read 4,787 times
I have learned my lesson about being attracted to opposites in a love relationship. We should not try to change each other or be attracted to each other's opposite nature. Find someone who is much like us and whose only differences are enhancements of our traits. Agree?

Old 05-30-2017, 07:55 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,301,164 times
Quote:

Quite true that there will be more conflict over things that seem "basic" and "easy" in a relationship where you share a more similar background with each other. You have to be flexible but also know the things that are truly important to you and not give too much on those things that you lose yourself.

A friend told me that "the thing that brought you together will be the thing that breaks you apart". I think that can be true - you are attracted to someone for some characteristic very different from you that perhaps you lack, but that thing is also somewhat "foreign" perhaps and you may not be able to handle too big a dose of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships