Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 09:53 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,004,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
I'm talking information like your last name, where you work, Facebook (if one has one), introduce to family/friends, etc.

Let's say you begin dating a total stranger that you met online.

I have a friend who dated someone that he met on a dating site. He broke it off and she started calling him at work and harassing him. She even called his boss!

Another friend went out with someone for awhile. He broke up with her because she wouldn't give him any space. She became friends with his brother's wife and she made him look like the bad guy as if he is at fault for the relationship ending. She also bashed him on facebook. They only dated a few months.

What's your rule on this?
I would say that within 6 months if you're still dating that person...they would know all that info.Being introduced to family would probably be a little after 6 months..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,371,259 times
Timeline for meeting family is going to vary a lot, anyway, based on location and distance people live from family, etc. Obviously.

My husband didn't meet my family until we'd been dating about five months, because I live 600+ miles from even the closest of them.

He did meet my sister, because she came to visit me for my birthday, and he and my work friends had planned a gathering at a bar. We'd been dating about a month. But it wasn't a "sit down and meet the family" situation. It was, "Hey, the guy I'm seeing is going to be out at the piano bar." "Cool."

I met my husband's mom pretty early on, a few weeks into dating, because she lived in the neighborhood. I met his dad a month or so in, because he lives a little further away. His sister lives in another country, so it was quite a while before I met her and her husband.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:05 AM

522 posts, read 338,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Geez, I get a first and last name from people I meet for a job interview. I'd expect no less of a date, which is essentially an interview.
You are comparing an employer to a random stranger you meet on some dating site?

Old 06-06-2017, 10:07 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,420,299 times
It's not a matter of personal information, it's a matter of what's appropriate information.

This is based in a few component

How well you know the person
How well you would like to know the person
How long you have known the person
How much you trust the person

It's a judgement call.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:13 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,805,613 times
Quote:
You are comparing an employer to a random stranger you meet on some dating site?

They're not a random stranger is I'm making plans to meet them.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:00 PM

473 posts, read 305,775 times
My last name will be same as his in the end so he does not need to know it at all

Old 06-10-2017, 06:19 AM

15,049 posts, read 10,024,557 times
I would go with the flow.... Ladies are often more guarded, with good reason, about what they share. So i will share personal info when she volunteers it.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:34 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,510,089 times
Quote:
Why would you NOT share that info with someone you're interested in potentially socializing with on a more than passerby level?
Um...if you met them online, there are obvious reasons, especially if you're a female. I was talking to this guy online for a long time, that seemed otherwise nice and everything. But, he kept asking my last name. I asked why, and he said he wanted to look me up. He asked why I didn't want to tell him, and I said because...he could be a stalker. He said, "I don't do that." But, how would I know? You can google someone's address! I said I don't have facebook or anything, so it's not like you're going to find anything...then he would mention how he was googling me or something, but gave up because he couldn't find anything. Then when I mentioned FB one day, he looked again and I guess he found my old one that I thought I deleted...

Quote:
Yet, I'm supposed to be comfortable even meeting a person so paranoid that they are not giving out names? Nah.
And I'm supposed to want to potentially date someone that doesn't understand why I wouldn't want to give out such personal information to a stranger on the internet?

Old 06-10-2017, 08:09 AM

10,498 posts, read 6,967,754 times
Quote:
I'm talking information like your last name, where you work, Facebook (if one has one), introduce to family/friends, etc.

Let's say you begin dating a total stranger that you met online.

I have a friend who dated someone that he met on a dating site. He broke it off and she started calling him at work and harassing him. She even called his boss!

Another friend went out with someone for awhile. He broke up with her because she wouldn't give him any space. She became friends with his brother's wife and she made him look like the bad guy as if he is at fault for the relationship ending. She also bashed him on facebook. They only dated a few months.

What's your rule on this?
Well, normal people have a flake detector. During the course of the normal small talk, you find out if something is amiss in the person in question. And of course, look for the crazy eyes. The eyes give it away every time.

But dating someone without revealing your last name or what you do for a living? That would be well-nigh impossible, for all relationships are built on some semblance of trust.

So I guess what I'm saying is you should do your screening before you meet, not after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships