Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:41 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
Well, what if you didn't have to pay for the person or support them. What if them not having a job didn't effect you?
Then where is the money for dating coming from? do they have a trust fund? I know everyone always says how dating can be free! Just take a walk in the park! There's only so many walks in the park you take. Sometimes you want to eat food, go to a concert, take a road trip--can the unemployed person chip in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 12:53 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
In that case that person is me.

McDonalds was my first ever job and I kept it for a good while. Unfortunately because of issues, I was let go. Since then I have had several jobs, none of them have worked out for various reasons :/ Its not like I'm not trying or putting in work, its just that I have had bad luck, not a way to get there, and I don't do the job right even though I try. This last job I was told that I had thirty days to get better at it. My bf (now my ex) told me that if I lost my job he would break up with me. that month I really tried but I was let go. Then he broke up with me & told me he could never be with someone for the long run who couldn't keep a job. One of his reasons was that he has a special needs half sister that works in a cafeteria & has had her job for six yrs... Anyway we broke up for good.

Would you date someone that didn't have a job/couldn't keep a job if it really wasn't their fault? I could see if the person was lazy or refused to work & such but what about someone who was a good person cared about you but was just down on their luck? Wondering what others opinions are!
OP I obviously don't know you, however, there are a couple things I recommend prior to seeking new work or seeking a relationship.

First, do a deep self evaluation. Everything. No holds barred. Pluses, Minuses, Strengths, Weaknesses.

Second, if you can swing it, and hopefully there are free or cheap ways to get this done, a formal, professional evaluation along the same lines. Your local labor department may have something like this.

Doing these two things may help you determine where to apply your energy.

One final thought ... (TMI) and I have had my share of relationships with "work challenged" women(/ TMI).

In some cases, a hidden disability may be a factor in both work issues and relationship issues. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:54 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,136,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Then where is the money for dating coming from? do they have a trust fund? I know everyone always says how dating can be free! Just take a walk in the park! There's only so many walks in the park you take. Sometimes you want to eat food, go to a concert, take a road trip--can the unemployed person chip in?
Dating can totally be free! Even when I have dated someone with a job we haven't gone many places. I can cook at home, watch a movie together at the house, walks, just spending time together. For me its about spending time with the person, not what we do. But different people have different interests and different wants for me its not a big deal that we dont spend money.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:56 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,513,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
First, do a deep self evaluation. Everything. No holds barred. Pluses, Minuses, Strengths, Weaknesses.

Second, if you can swing it, and hopefully there are free or cheap ways to get this done, a formal, professional evaluation along the same lines. Your local labor department may have something like this.
yes, it's called vocational rehabilitation.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Dating can totally be free! Even when I have dated someone with a job we haven't gone many places. I can cook at home, watch a movie together at the house, walks, just spending time together. For me its about spending time with the person, not what we do. But different people have different interests and different wants for me its not a big deal that we dont spend money.
Not to sound too demanding, but everything costs money-- getting food to cook at home costs money. Internet costs money. Netflix costs money. If you have no money coming in, then how can you even afford that?

I sound like my republican dad, but you're just making excuses. Keeping a job isn't a matter of luck, especially when your employer gives you a chance to get on the right track.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
I am just wondering, if you can't keep a job, do you expect to find a guy who will support you? Because if I was a guy, that would send me running for the hills. I mean, why should someone else support you in life? Whether it be parents, a boyfriend, whatever....

It's true sometimes jobs aren't a good fit. However, I have worked some totally crap jobs in my day, jobs I dreaded going to every single day, but I did it, because you just do, you suck it up and support yourself, even if you don't like the job.
No I don't expect that. I have worked too, since high school. I have always bought my own stuff. If I don't have the money I go without. I don't blame anybody for that or expect anyone to take care of me.

I have worked its just this last year and a half or so where I have been down on my luck, unlucky with jobs. It happens and I'm just trying to work through it

Old 06-20-2017, 01:02 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Would you date someone that didn't have a job/couldn't keep a job if it really wasn't their fault? I could see if the person was lazy or refused to work & such but what about someone who was a good person cared about you but was just down on their luck?
I wouldn't date anyone that blames their not having a job on bad luck in the first place. Just a bunch of lame excuses. Actions speak louder than words, and those who truly want a job find a way to get one, and keep one.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I guess it would depend on the reason, but for the most part... if a person has circumstances that are the cause of chronic unemployment, should dating really be a priority right now?
Its not... but just because I dont have a job that doesn't mean I stop being interested in love and the possibility. I used to have a stable job. I did have a bf until I lost my job. But in the end of he couldn't stick with me thru this rough patch, I guess it wasn't meant to be anyway.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:04 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty_charge View Post
What if you gained 20 lbs, struggled to lose it and your SO dumpes you after x amount of months saying he lost his attraction for you? He's reasonable so understand.
That has no bearing on my getting, and keeping a job. It's just another lame excuse.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I wouldn't date anyone that blames their not having a job on bad luck in the first place. Just a bunch of lame excuses. Actions speak louder than words, and those who truly want a job find a way to get one, and keep one.
That's what everyone keeps saying. I really am trying though. I do my best to show up and do a good job. I'll keep trying. Its all I can do. I just keep positive and pray & hopefully something will come my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships