Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 01:45 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,708,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Get a job where you can learn new skills and use as a stepping stone to an even better job... keep doing that if school isn't an option.
Get off food stamps.
You are clearly so much smarter and articulate than you give yourself credit for.
Don't live your entire existence around "getting a guy"... work on improving yourself.
(I don't mean that as critical-most people I know are always trying to improve themselves.)
Everything else will fall into place.

I was typing my response as you posted yours. Great tips!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 01:53 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,136,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Get a job where you can learn new skills and use as a stepping stone to an even better job... keep doing that if school isn't an option.
Get off food stamps.
You are clearly so much smarter and articulate than you give yourself credit for.
Don't live your entire existence around "getting a guy"... work on improving yourself.
(I don't mean that as critical-most people I know are always trying to improve themselves.)
Everything else will fall into place.
Thanks for the nice words I have tried to get a better job but I would need more skills to do that. There arent a lot of opportunities in my town. Maybe in a bigger city but I cant move. No money and I have the kids and responsibilities here. My mom actually might be going to jail soon so things will get bad before they will get better probably but hopefully it will all pass. I'm gonna look for work again.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:56 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
Thanks for the nice words I have tried to get a better job but I would need more skills to do that. There arent a lot of opportunities in my town. Maybe in a bigger city but I cant move. No money and I have the kids and responsibilities here. My mom actually might be going to jail soon so things will get bad before they will get better probably but hopefully it will all pass. I'm gonna look for work again.
You are welcome and I meant what I said.
Sometimes it takes someone from the outside looking in to help us see something that was there all along.

Other than McDonalds what type of jobs have you worked?
Did you finish high school? What were your favorite classes?
If you could get a job answering the phones for a business...that would be a great start.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:59 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
That would be a major concern and red flag, but I would be more interested in whether they can keep relationship.

For instance, how many times have they been married, etc.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:05 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Check to see if whatever county you live in has any job training resources. You should probably also think of what kind of job you'd like to have, ideally: work in an office? work with your hands? Work outdoors? On a team or by yourself? Like good relationship, it's not just going to fall into your lap--you've gotta hustle a little.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:06 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Actually, working at McDonalds is a tough job and requires skills and a fast pace.

Your spelling/grammar is excellent so why not go for an office job? Better hours, better pay, better environment, less stressful.

I would suggest an office assistant job, then move up to administrative assistant. My first job in the US was an office assistant job at a church, haha. It was a great learning experience.

I would put job/family issues first and not worry about the dating right now. You are young, you do not need to rush in finding a guy.

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Well that's true. Some people just don't want to take the gamble & I don't blame them!
Actually, I was referring to you.

926 posts, read 673,222 times
Quote:
Have you tried applying at Temp Agencies? That's how I started out whilst getting my degree. They give you a battery of tests and then determine which jobs you are most qualified for. There is a specific type of job for every skill set; you just have to find out what yours is.

Also, have you gone to college? If not, that's something you might want to consider doing so you can get a degree and actually have a career instead of just a job. They have Pell Grants (and other types of grants) you'd be qualified for and you can take most classes online.

Sorry to hear about your mom but you can't let her life screw up yours. You've got children to provide for, so I think that should be your absolute first priority other than acquiring gainful employment. I know you're probably lonely and want to be in a relationship to have someone to share your life with; most people do want that. And, you ARE worthy of being loved and having someone to be with! But for now, you should really focus on taking care of your kids and landing a decent steady job so you can pay your bills, put food on the table and maybe even save whatever $ you have left in your checking/savings account.

It seems you have the proper motivation and desire to work, and that's a good thing. Use that driving force to find a good job and put dating and relationship-seeking on the back burner for a while.

Good luck, OP. I wish you the best!

Old 06-20-2017, 02:55 PM

164 posts, read 138,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I have a little problem with the "not my fault" statement.
Once or twice it could be a bad luck or really not their fault, but a permanent issue being always someone's else fault? I have a hard time believing it. Just look into the reasons why someone gets constantly fired from the jobs, and reevaluate the behaviour leading to it.
Who would want to date a person who is always blaming others, and never acknowledge their own mistakes? Not me!
Not always, I know a guy who is always unemployed because the last 5 jobs he's had have all closed down and moved out of the country. How is it his fault if the whole factory is gone?

Old 06-20-2017, 03:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Its not... but just because I dont have a job that doesn't mean I stop being interested in love and the possibility. I used to have a stable job. I did have a bf until I lost my job. But in the end of he couldn't stick with me thru this rough patch, I guess it wasn't meant to be anyway.
Of course it sucks to be lonely, especially when things have taken a downward turn. If I remember correctly, you were also working on getting out of your living situation, too, correct? The thing is, a relationship can either provide a support system while you bounce back, or completely derail you. Right now you are more vulnerable to the caliber of man who will drag you down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships