Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 03:03 PM

4,242 posts, read 946,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

It'd even be nice to find some people to play in a band with again. That used to be a big part of my life, but due to physical issues I don't think I could hold my own to bring the rock much these days.
Griffis, please forgive me if I'm misjudging your age, but if you're one of us old(er) farts (60+), I hope you'll follow up on this and find other musicians to jam with. Last year, I started acoustic guitar lessons after abandoning it as a teenager and have discovered that I still have a bit of musicality, and I'm enjoying it more than I ever imagined. Have also made some new friends - we only sound good to ourselves, but we don't care

Best wishes to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 03:22 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
Griffis, please forgive me if I'm misjudging your age, but if you're one of us old(er) farts (60+), I hope you'll follow up on this and find other musicians to jam with. Last year, I started acoustic guitar lessons after abandoning it as a teenager and have discovered that I still have a bit of musicality, and I'm enjoying it more than I ever imagined. Have also made some new friends - we only sound good to ourselves, but we don't care

Best wishes to you!
Oh, that is sweet of you...thank you! I'm 48. I can still play a little guitar and ukulele. If my hands get shaky or arthritic enough, I'll take up harmonica or ocarina or something. I will always make music. Would be cool to find others to jam with...who knows...

Old 06-25-2017, 03:36 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
I do this with most big decisions. I have never done it with a relationship. Like someone said just doing a quick temperature check such as am I better with the person or not.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:38 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
I pointed out in my post, my ex. Back THEN one did not live together before, FOR SURE. We went from parents' home to marriage home and did not KNOW the person hardly...maybe got together for the same religion and security etc.

There are many reasons, then there are relationships that make it for a while and then end, etc etc etc.

It's great that SOME of you have great long lasting partners, so far.

Can anyone truly KNOW another person inside and out...unless the other tells them their innermost thoughts. I don't think so. And so many "put up" with their other half. For their reasons.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:38 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
I'd rather be alone then have to make a pro and con list to see if I should be with my husband. I'm sure we both looked at the pros and cons BEFORE marriage.

Your husband left you for another woman, I would think that would weigh heavily in the con list. Not trying to be mean, but that's a big con. (unintentional pun)
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-25-2017, 09:28 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
No, I haven't literally made a list, but I basically made a mental one when sort of involved with somebody and getting fed up. I essentially told that person to work on some major negatives, which was met with a "You're not worth it" type of response. That person I strongly suspect hasn't had much relationship success since and probably remains highly dysfunctional in other aspects of life. Some bad things can cancel out major positives - it's a shame.

This leads into a thread idea I'd thought of weeks ago. Comparing the positives of exes, to determine what qualities you really like and need to be happy with someone, especially in the long run. It's worth considering that they might overlap greatly with things about yourself that you like. More self-knowledge is always a good thing, in my book. It also can help you get over some failed relationships.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:35 PM

728 posts, read 471,812 times
I made a pros and cons with the last woman, and the cons far outweighed the pro. So, it was good it was over.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:36 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
How my husband ever decided that my pros outweigh my cons I will never know.

I owe him a lot of pros.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-25-2017, 09:52 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Sometimes they don't become apparent until you get together with them.
That goes for most (if not all) relationships. It takes a long time to really get to know someone, and when you think you know someone well, you'll never truly never get to them as well as you think. Unless, of course, you can read their mind.

As for making a list after breaking up.....sounds like crying over spilled milk, imo. You could very well have a lot "pros" and have just one "con" thats a dealbreaker. i.e infidelity, drug/physical abuse, etc.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:21 PM

61,633 posts, read 86,981,866 times
I make such mental list BEFORE I get involved. Spares lots of drama....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships