Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 11:57 AM

6 posts, read 3,398 times

Advertisements

I have this theory that people are very similar to their parents in some way shape or form. My boyfriends parents have never been in stable relationships and it's always bothered me because I feel like people take after their parents in some kind of way both his mom and dad are cheaters, can't seem to commit and get bored with relationships. I try my best not to judge him by his parents but truth is I can't stand his mother she's just someone I don't click with she's just a negative person who's extremely judgmental and acts like her Mod cut: language doesnt stink I see so many similarities between my boyfriend and his mom and it makes me not want to be with him. We have our problems like any other couple but it seems to be under a microscope now they are to much alike they think a like talk alike it's just sickening only difference is I love my boyfriend.

Recently my boyfriends, moms, husband has been talking to me about their relationship. YES YOU HEARD CORRECTLY my boyfriends stepfather has been talking to me about their relationship. I've only known the guy 2 years because they just got married I've been around 5 years. Long story short he's telling me all these things about the relationship and it's hitting close to home. Kinda reminds me of how me and my boyfriend are. This lady tells him she doesn't want to be with him anymore, she thinks about other men, he tells me how he doesn't find her sexually attractive just all this crazy stuff. My boyfriends mom is very controlling towards him. She's only happy with him when he's giving her money, if he isn't giving her money then all hell breaks loose. She's just a horrible person in my opinion even her own daughters feel like that about her so my biggest issue is I feel like I won't be able to adjust to it with my boyfriend he's to much like her and I tell him constantly how similar they are and truthfully as much as I love him the way his mom and family are I don't see myself around that to much longer... any advice ?

Last edited by Mikala43; 06-27-2017 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 01:06 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Yes.

Break up.

Why haven't you done that already?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-27-2017, 01:32 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Why didn't you two move away years ago? Oh yeah. Your boyfriend is a spineless jerk who has no idea how to set boundaries. I suppose he has other redeeming qualities?

Old 06-27-2017, 01:36 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzz_Hill909 View Post
any advice ?
Dump him

Old 06-27-2017, 02:52 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes.

Break up.

He's either got 'good' hair or 'swagger'.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:23 PM

209 posts, read 168,977 times
Thanks. This makes a lot of sense.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:49 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
Quote:
I have this theory that people are very similar to their parents in some way shape or form. My boyfriends parents have never been in stable relationships and it's always bothered me because I feel like people take after their parents in some kind of way both his mom and dad are cheaters, can't seem to commit and get bored with relationships. I try my best not to judge him by his parents but truth is I can't stand his mother she's just someone I don't click with she's just a negative person who's extremely judgmental and acts like her Mod cut: language doesnt stink I see so many similarities between my boyfriend and his mom and it makes me not want to be with him. We have our problems like any other couple but it seems to be under a microscope now they are to much alike they think a like talk alike it's just sickening only difference is I love my boyfriend.

Recently my boyfriends, moms, husband has been talking to me about their relationship. YES YOU HEARD CORRECTLY my boyfriends stepfather has been talking to me about their relationship. I've only known the guy 2 years because they just got married I've been around 5 years. Long story short he's telling me all these things about the relationship and it's hitting close to home. Kinda reminds me of how me and my boyfriend are. This lady tells him she doesn't want to be with him anymore, she thinks about other men, he tells me how he doesn't find her sexually attractive just all this crazy stuff. My boyfriends mom is very controlling towards him. She's only happy with him when he's giving her money, if he isn't giving her money then all hell breaks loose. She's just a horrible person in my opinion even her own daughters feel like that about her so my biggest issue is I feel like I won't be able to adjust to it with my boyfriend he's to much like her and I tell him constantly how similar they are and truthfully as much as I love him the way his mom and family are I don't see myself around that to much longer... any advice ?
Has your boyfriend cheated on you? Is marriage in the future? Do you live with him, under his moms home?

If he has cheated on you, walk. If you live in with him, you gotta move or walk.

If marriage is in the future, you have to make it clear, now , while you are dating, Husband and wife, is 1 and 2, and mom, sisters, dad have no say or should not know everything that is going on. the less you share, the less they can talk. Son has to man up, walk away, get your back 100 0/0! even over his mommy.

When these older folks start talking about relationship details, stop him in their tracks, " none of my business, I don't want to know, I don't talk behind peoples back" you are not a therapist, nor should offer a couch for confessions.

when they start getting in your business, do not share what you are not comfortable with. you do not have to share nothing. the less you share, the less they talk. When she comes with the "i am mom" crap, ask her if her Mother In Law got in her business, and how did it feel. turn it around on her. I am sure mom has had a fair share of people talking behind her back, being a cheater and all. I am sure she does not like it.

when you get married to some one , you are not married to his family, and his family does not get to treat you bad, like one of them. you aint blood, you aint a sibling. When you get married, you are the new family unit, and no one gets to put a finger in your business venture. stand firm, and make sure he gets it. if not, move on, do not settle for less.

SO family does not realize the negative effects they have on their family, especially when its a new couple trying to form a life together. Siblings should be respectful, no more kiddy crap. and Parents should know their place, and be lucky if their kids will include them in their lives.

whatever you choose, never live with other people if you get married or involved. too much conflict just waiting to happen.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:47 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes.

Break up.

Perfect response.
Mae

Old 08-02-2017, 05:40 PM

11 posts, read 5,216 times
Quote:

When I met my ex-husbands mother I could not believe a person could be so mean spirited, nosey, etc. She was a nightmare and i was like i am not marrying you. That woman made my life Hell and I left after two years. He has been through three wives and his mom is steal living raising hell.
ll.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:59 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Break up!

A guy is linked to his family. They're a package deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships