Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 12:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post
Anyone can get a date. It's just a matter of how low u will go. High standards is what mostly stops people dating, which obviously is what leads to a relationship.
What many fail to consider is their *high standard* romantic interest could easily place them on their own
*substandard* list and not be remotely close to romantically interested...

Old 07-13-2017, 12:14 PM

880 posts, read 1,250,981 times
I'd think that if you actually tried to learn something from this forum the only thing you'd learn is that "you need therapy (c)". From breakup to dealing with in-laws, no matter how minor or major, "you need therapy (c)". So, read at your own risk, for entertainment purposes only.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:48 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Interesting.

The implication that only single moms can date single dads , and/or that only single parents should date one another. Although I'm resisting accepting this, in my heart I think I have to agree because single people like me don't really understand why giving up time for the relationship due to financial or other problems from some brat should get in the way . Always, always does .

Age is just a number, until your date who is 12 years younger announces that your music is old fuddy-duddy rock and doesn't get some of the cultural references that you use from the previous generation . At that point, one of you sure sounds stupid . Comments about Bill Clinton and blue dresses that I found downright hilarious not quite 20 years ago would completely fall on deaf ears with anybody under about 25 these days for example .

People of similar education and intelligence do flock together, yes . Otherwise there's nothing really to talk about after a short amount of time .

If you are a seven on the hotness scale , and seem to know it, at least you understand who you should be trying to date. This seems to be some sort of "out of my league " thing going on but I don't really understand . If a man scours Eastern Europe or Russia he can date women who are model quality even if he's a bridge ogre (waves hand). Everything in life is about arbitrage ; if I have an asset the prospective dates want they will tolerate me even if they're far more attractive than I am . That applies to just about everything in life that actually matters come to think of it.
In the real world people date who they want.My ex was very hot yet I dated him.
Single parents should date who they want.
Children raised right aren't brats.
Age isn't just a number when you deal with aging-death.
Yes poor women will date ugly rich men (didn't say you) many to get ahead in life or get a green card.
People can be all over the map of intelligence. A degree doesn't make you smart. I have talked to many teachers with degrees that lack common sense and the normal socialation skills.
Therefore the assumption conclude you need to get out more.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:13 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
I'd think that if you actually tried to learn something from this forum the only thing you'd learn is that "you need therapy (c)". From breakup to dealing with in-laws, no matter how minor or major, "you need therapy (c)". So, read at your own risk, for entertainment purposes only.

That, and "WALK AWAY!" "They didn't flush the toilet?? Get a lawyer!" "He came home from bowling 1/2 an hour late?? He's cheating on you! Leave him!"

The "leave the marriage" advice kind of alarms me. LOL

Old 07-13-2017, 01:29 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I guess I've learned over the years (before/after I left and came back here) is that I don't really do that well with advice from people on the internet, and should probably not ask for it. Odds are I already kind of know what I'm going to do in life anyways. If I need to process or I need support, this probably isn't the place for that...I should journal, blog, or go talk to friends. Especially if the issue is emotionally charged for me, if I am upset. That just makes you an inviting target, to some folks anyways.

Also in all fairness, I don't lead a very normal life, never have and probably never will, so the advice given by normal people is often not very applicable to my reality.

Now if I had a non-upsetting, light sort of question, I might bring it here. Something like, "Boyfriend is a collector, what B-Day gift do I buy for the nerd who has everything?"

You guys might see that one, come next February...

EDIT: ...But I did not really learn much of anything about dating from this forum.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:34 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I've been on here a long time, and it has actually made me more empathetic. Sure, there are a few weirdos playing games from time to time, but for the most part when people come here to lay out their problems, it usually means they don't have anywhere else trustworthy to go with it. That's a pretty lonely feeling.

In terms of "dating," I've learned that solving most romantic problems boils down to courage and communication.

As a bonus ... I have met a couple of very cool people I would definitely hang out with IRL.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:40 PM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I have learned that common sense is not spread widely
I have learned there are more older virgins than I would have ever imagined.
I have learned that others made the same weird experiences with OLD which makes me feel better
I have got to see the point of view from people who don't use birth control (I always wanted to know what they are thinking, if they are even thinking)
I have learned why the divorce rate here in the US is so high (dump instead of resolve the issue)

Old 07-14-2017, 06:53 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Other things I've learned:

A lot of people really care about how many people their partners slept with, incredible that sloot shaming is still a thing with some people
People really seem to care if someone has a same sex encounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have learned that common sense is not spread widely

I have learned why the divorce rate here in the US is so high (dump instead of resolve the issue)

Its not that high. It's nothing like Eastern Europe which has sky high divorce rates.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:30 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
I have learned quite a bit, both good and bad.

I've learned that I am pretty lucky to have the relationship I have with my wife. I didn't marry early, which I believe has helped quite a bit. Turns out I had a good deal of growing up to do before I was ready for a life-long partner.

I've learned there are quite a few seriously damaged individuals. Some of them are here for therapeutic reasons, others want to vent and still others are here to validate their own beliefs, whether they are generally right or wrong.

I've learned there are quite a few compassionate souls here, ready to help if help is requested. I don't blame some of them when they get frustrated when their sage advice is cast aside for another bad decision.

There are some humorous ones on here, as well, who absolutely make my day.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:58 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
I haven't learned much myself. Some people can be real rude if you don't follow their advice and date their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships