Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine tried to date a single mom. Her kids were invasive, disrespectful, and the dad was a jerk who tried to fight him at the gym. He broke up with her because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 02:46 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
They are no longer kids Just out of curiosity, are they both boys?
No, both girls

Old 07-17-2017, 04:26 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
A friend of mine tried to date a single mom. Her kids were invasive, disrespectful, and the dad was a jerk who tried to fight him at the gym. He broke up with her because of this.
That's nice. If your point is that this must be universally true, you can relax; it isn't.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
I am about to do something that was once a deal breaker....date a single mom. As I have matured, I have concluded that it is silly to rule out an otherwise good match just because she is divorced or has kids. We have been chatting and have decided to setup a date.

She is 41, only a few years older than me and has 2 kids (12 and 16). She has a good job so it is not like she needs someone to take care if her. She shares custody and has then half the time which should work out great for dating and we have quite a few common interests. I have not dated a single mom before so any tips you can share would be appreciated.
What sort of tips are you looking for?

Date her when she is available; give her space when she is not. Don't meet the kids at all unless things are going well and you think the relationship might possibly become permanent. Minor children really don't need to meet everyone mom or dad dates.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:43 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Maybe just make this somewhat fun and list some from personal experience.

When the single PARENT cancels at the last moment because kid is sick, don't give her a hard time. I dropped off some take out at her front steps with a rose next to it.... I called her to answer the door from a phone a little ways down the street.

When the (older this time) kid comes at you (in my case a baseball bat), walk away immediately. Don't try to be the bigger man. He has been his mom's protector for most of his life.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:47 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
You dont really need advice, they are humans just like any other. My Dh didnt need special advice to date me, then marry me. You either want ALL of me or get none. Simple as that.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:54 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
That's nice. If your point is that this must be universally true, you can relax; it isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Maybe just make this somewhat fun and list some from personal experience.

When the single PARENT cancels at the last moment because kid is sick, don't give her a hard time. I dropped off some take out at her front steps with a rose next to it.... I called her to answer the door from a phone a little ways down the street.

When the (older this time) kid comes at you (in my case a baseball bat), walk away immediately. Don't try to be the bigger man. He has been his mom's protector for most of his life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
You dont really need advice, they are humans just like any other. My Dh didnt need special advice to date me, then marry me. You either want ALL of me or get none. Simple as that.
Nicely said.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:25 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I never said it was don't put words in my mouth thanks.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:50 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
So, whats your tip/s on dating single moms? other than going out of your way (again) making statements that single moms have a bunch of undisciplined rug rats that will drain men of their time, money, and sanity?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I never said it was don't put words in my mouth thanks.
Dude, when you blurt out a fact apropos of nothing, you shouldn't get miffed if people don't know what you mean. What are the "tips on dating a single mom" contained in your vignette?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships