Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:35 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,443 times

Advertisements

I'm probably the lightest sleeper ever on the planet. So when my boyfriend and i moved in together we smushed our two beds together so we could each have our own bed yet sleep in the same room lol. and our bedroom was big enough for it. i know it's odd but honestly, I CANNOT share a bed.

We also normally get two beds when we travel and stay in a hotel. This weekend we went away and forgot to ask for two beds and by the time we checked in they were sold out. i think i had the worst night's sleep of my whole entire life. every single time he moved the slightest bit i would wake up. I was left wondering how on earth people share beds with each other? especially a QUEEN bed!

Anyone else have a "non-conventional" sleeping situation with their significant other? for those of you who don't, do you wake up multiple times per night because of your significant other? I guess i'm curious if most people hate sharing a bed but because it's "normal" and expected you just grin and bear it lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:47 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
My boyfriend doesn't sleep very well when we share a bed. We don't live together yet, but we're planning to later this year. We both agree that we need our own rooms and our own beds. Part of that too is that we work different schedules, so he'll be coming home when I am fast asleep on days that we both work sometimes. We do have some weekend nights we share, so I'll probably sleep in his bed some nights, like we do now when I visit him. But not if he's got to work the next day.

I am an easier sleeper, but there were nights early on, that I was too aware of him, whether he was sleeping ok, like semi-worried, vigilant...and that prevented me from getting a decent night's sleep. I'm pretty much past that now though. I sleep through it even if he gets up out of bed and comes back.

The other benefit of separate rooms is that he is an introvert and sometimes needs his own time and space, and I am an artist and occasionally have a project all over my floor. So, this arrangement is good for us both.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:55 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
I don't mind waking up several times when he moves around. I value having someone close to me so much, that the price of waking up is not that high for me. After a few weeks/months, I get used to it and don't wake up as much anymore. I find physical touch very important.

I had a snoring spouse and he slept in a different room and I still heard him through the wall. I hated it. It took away a huge part of intimacy to sleep alone and I suffered. I need my man next to me. The smaller the bed, the better.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:58 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
My late husband was a loud snorer so I started making him sleep in the spare bedroom if I had to work the next morning since he was already retired the last few years of our marriage. Then I started wearing earplugs at night so we could sleep together. Now, even though he's been gone almost 7 years I can't sleep without them. At first it was hard sleeping alone without feeling him next to me but like everything else in life you adjust. Now I love having my queen sized bed all to myself. One of many reasons I don't want to get remarried.....

Old 07-17-2017, 10:58 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
Sleep is important. I don't find it odd, and am betting it isn't odd at all. A king bed can work nicely though. Ever see the commercial for the bed that one spouse could jump up and down, and on the other side, there was a glass of wine that didn't spill? That was always my "dream" bed, but never got one.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't mind waking up several times when he moves around. I value having someone close to me so much, that the price of waking up is not that high for me. After a few weeks/months, I get used to it and don't wake up as much anymore. I find physical touch very important.

I had a snoring spouse and he slept in a different room and I still heard him through the wall. I hated it. It took away a huge part of intimacy to sleep alone and I suffered. I need my man next to me. The smaller the bed, the better.
Touch is very important for us, too. And I might daydream about being snuggled up next to my sweetie, but when we've gone to conventions together and tried to share a bed for a few nights in a row, by the end of it were are EXHAUSTED. Well at least then, in that state, we were able to snuggle up like pretzels and still soundly nap for several hours together. That was really nice. But his primary love language is touch, it's my close second, so we can't keep our hands off each other anyways. Sleeping apart (sometimes) won't leave us feeling disconnected, I don't think.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:16 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Sleep is important. I don't find it odd, and am betting it isn't odd at all. A king bed can work nicely though. Ever see the commercial for the bed that one spouse could jump up and down, and on the other side, there was a glass of wine that didn't spill? That was always my "dream" bed, but never got one.
Thank you for saying that because the amount of comments i get from friends and family about how weird it is is pretty ridiculous. and it always makes me doubt the situation.

i think when we buy a house we will get one of those beds! there is also one where it's a king but it's split down the middle so it's kind of like two twins together? lol. also i think separate sheets would prob work. because then there would be no tugging on the sheets lol.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:23 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times
Judging from people I know IRL, it doesn't seem uncommon to sleep in separate beds. Depends on different individual needs.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 AM

358 posts, read 208,054 times
sometimes a compromise is needed, if you value intimacy and your relationship. People are selfish and act in self interest all the time. Don't let your life partner inconvenience you because you might wake up one time, in the middle of the night. the horror. When youre in a relationship, you can at least try to sleep together. Dislike!

Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Thank you for saying that because the amount of comments i get from friends and family about how weird it is is pretty ridiculous. and it always makes me doubt the situation.

i think when we buy a house we will get one of those beds! there is also one where it's a king but it's split down the middle so it's kind of like two twins together? lol. also i think separate sheets would prob work. because then there would be no tugging on the sheets lol.
My ex husband had a habit with bed linens that I still use to this day. He picked it up in the military. He would have the bed "made" at all times, and just use a throw blanket to cover himself up. So a quick fold of that blanket, and the bed is presentable. We each had our own throw blankets.

My current BF has a sleep number bed, each side adjusts separately. That is nice. He's had this bed for over 15 years and it's still a great bed.

I don't like the Tempurpedic beds. You sink down into them, and they don't "recover" very fast from the shape you create with your body, so if you adjust position it can then be uncomfortable. I heard this once referred to as the "wet sand effect."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships