U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2008, 07:38 AM

19,749 posts, read 16,397,115 times
Heck I dont know, there was an article just last week where a 13 year old did a home invasion out in Moreno Valley and raped the woman who owned the house. 13 years old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,079,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
What about stores like Abercrombie and Target selling thongs and padded bras for pre teens?! I was shocked!!! My mom would not let me shop in vicky secrets till college! And she never bought me a thong or any kind of sexy underwear!

Yeah I remember having this discussion with my now 15 year old daugther when she was only 12 and in middle school. She wore those cute little hipster/bikini type undies and regular sports bras and would come home crying at times because in the gym she'd have to change and other 11 and 12 year olds would laugh at her for wearing granny panties and little girl bra's. She would tell me that a majority of them wore padded bra's and thongs and wanted me to get her some. I said no way of course but it hurt me to see her going through this. Teasing over undies and bras... crazy. I also wondered what some of these other parents were thinking buying thongs for 11 year olds.

Anyway, she is now 15 and while that has gotten worse as far as numbers of girls wearing them to those that don't, I thank God for the fact they came out with those little cute, fashionable and popular boy pant undies. Thats all she wears and I have no problem with those.

I did find it interesting though that as much as we disagreed and she got angry at me back in middle school, just a couple days ago I was at walmart buying some stuff for my fiancee's little girls (3 & 4) and I was getting them undies, socks and undershirts and my daughter found these little padded bra's in the little girl section and she about flipped and said, no way my little sisters are wearing this kinda stuff. Not until they are in high school. LOL. I had to giggle.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:11 AM

1,887 posts, read 2,939,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
Can it be? lol
my 2nd first time (the one I tell my friends about lol)
I love this idea. I should have thought of that!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:38 PM

7,471 posts, read 7,810,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
I read an article yesterday that said the average age of first intercourse is now 15. Please tell me this isnt true!!!! Im no prude, but good grief, most people at 15 are children in every sense of the word!!
That doesn't sound too far from reality. However, where I'm from I'm going to guess it'd be closer to 16 or 17.

13 years was probably the minimum, except for those who were abused or raped by parents, older relatives, other men, etc. (I didn't know any myself, but I'm sure they were out there).

Last edited by tvdxer; 03-16-2008 at 09:58 PM..

Old 03-16-2008, 08:49 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,129,183 times
I am staggered that they make thongs for little kids.

My daughter wears the kind of bras that look like a jog bra, no padding. She is 11 and I am NOT looking forward to the next couple years.

You will read about it if I find out that some boy with ideas has his eye on my daughter. I will flip out and before its all said and done, I'm sure the police will be called. I get a cold chill even thinking about it.

I'm not ready for her to grow up, she still sleeps with me, plays with Barbies and colors with crayons.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
miu

12,992 posts, read 21,778,067 times
I think another problem is that physically, our youth is reaching sexual maturity at an earlier age. The current average age of a girl's first period is 12, but the normal range is anywhere between the ages of 8 and 16. And one theory is because of all the traces of hormones in our foods.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think another problem is that physically, our youth is reaching sexual maturity at an earlier age. The current average age of a girl's first period is 12, but the normal range is anywhere between the ages of 8 and 16. And one theory is because of all the traces of hormones in our foods.
That's true, and might be a contributing factor.

I think society plays a role too. They say that TV content in 2006 or 2007 had twice as many sex scenes or sexual relationships or something along that line as in 1998. And on the radio now it seems like every hot rap or R & B song (the most popular music with youth?) is either based around a overt sexual theme, or if not, finds some way to insert one into the song. You have Akon's trashy "I wanna f$#k you", which hit #1 last year, "Sensual Seduction", or a some of Rihanna's songs like "Don't Stop the Music", which is basically a song about dancing to a song she loves, but she puts a sexual part in it. I don't think hearing one of these songs once is going to irreversibly turn one's daughter or song into a ****, but when they hear songs like that over and over again, and are exposed to all the other over-sexed garbage society has to offer (Victoria's Secret, MTV, teen movies, etc.), and especially when they're not critical of, it's probably going to have an effect.

I wrote this above but I figure I'll repeat it: I graduated from high school in 2005. I was 15 (9th grade) between 2001 and 2002. That's right in the throes of puberty, probably one of the most sexualized times of a male's life. But I don't think more than a third of my classmates lost their virginity by the end of the freshman year (though one girl I knew became pregnant and aborted her child). I'd suggest 17.2 as the average for Hermantown. And before that, in middle school? I doubt many at all were having sex. But the world seems even more oversexed today than then.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:51 PM

549 posts, read 1,197,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I am brainwashing my daughter into believing to wait for sex until marriage, not for religious reasons, we are not religious, but because most girls (and maybe guys) seem to regret and even become heart broken from their first sexual experience.
Just another perspective...

If your daughter makes the "mistake" of having sex before she's married after your lectures and influence, she will then regret it There's no greater influence than a parent and if expectations aren't met, serious damage/shame can be done. I'm not telling you how to raise your kids but just giving some food for thought that you may not have considered.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:57 PM
miu

12,992 posts, read 21,778,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
That's true, and might be a contributing factor.

I think society plays a role too. They say that TV content in 2006 or 2007 had twice as many sex scenes or sexual relationships or something along that line as in 1998. And on the radio now it seems like every hot rap or R & B song (the most popular music with youth?) is either based around a overt sexual theme, or if not, finds some way to insert one into the song. You have Akon's trashy "I wanna f$#k you", which hit #1 last year, "Sensual Seduction", or a some of Rihanna's songs like "Don't Stop the Music", which is basically a song about dancing to a song she loves, but she puts a sexual part in it. I don't think hearing one of these songs once is going to irreversibly turn one's daughter or song into a ****, but when they hear songs like that over and over again, and are exposed to all the other over-sexed garbage society has to offer (Victoria's Secret, MTV, teen movies, etc.), and especially when they're not critical of, it's probably going to have an effect.

I wrote this above but I figure I'll repeat it: I graduated from high school in 2005. I was 15 (9th grade) between 2001 and 2002. That's right in the throes of puberty, probably one of the most sexualized times of a male's life. But I don't think more than a third of my classmates lost their virginity by the end of the freshman year (though one girl I knew became pregnant and aborted her child). I'd suggest 17.2 as the average for Hermantown. And before that, in middle school? I doubt many at all were having sex. But the world seems even more oversexed today than then.
We have become a society that encourages instant gratification. If you are hungry, then go ahead and eat. And that's how we end up with so many overweight people. See something you want to own? Just go ahead and whip out a credit card. Now our country is having a severe credit crisis. Want to prove how pretty and popular you are and want to show everybody that you are ready to be an adult? Then have sex.

I think that young people need to know that relationships aren't all about sex. And it takes several tries before we know the kind of person we want to love and spend the rest of our lives with. Sex isn't the only way to show affection and prove your love for someone. And someone that is fun to party with, isn't always the best person to have a baby with. Also, having a baby isn't the way to keep a couple together.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
We have become a society that encourages instant gratification. If you are hungry, then go ahead and eat. And that's how we end up with so many overweight people. See something you want to own? Just go ahead and whip out a credit card. Now our country is having a severe credit crisis. Want to prove how pretty and popular you are and want to show everybody that you are ready to be an adult? Then have sex.

I think that young people need to know that relationships aren't all about sex. And it takes several tries before we know the kind of person we want to love and spend the rest of our lives with. Sex isn't the only way to show affection and prove your love for someone. And someone that is fun to party with, isn't always the best person to have a baby with. Also, having a baby isn't the way to keep a couple together.
That's so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships