Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 08:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times

Advertisements

It's good to know you are also considering and remember, when he brings up the idea that he doesn't think he can do a LD relationship and how you might not be able to see each other again easily...not that he's wrong, but those are also arguments to use to influence you to solve the problem by marrying him.

Is he sad about those prospects or trying to manipulate?
You know him, we don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 08:46 AM

28 posts, read 17,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It's good to know you are also considering and remember, when he brings up the idea that he doesn't think he can do a LD relationship and how you might not be able to see each other again easily...not that he's wrong, but those are also arguments to use to influence you to solve the problem by marrying him.

Is he sad about those prospects or trying to manipulate?
You know him, we don't.
I am very suspicious about everything (with or without reason) and I think that he doesn't give me reasons to not trust him but I can't help it (it's either my personal issue or just the timing of all these events makes me question everything).
He was very sad when I first told him I won't be able to go through with it. His first thought was about going back to his country so I was under impression that it was the top thing he cared about. Then he said he was upset because he is losing me and (while going back to his country is undesirable) he is most sad because of us breaking up essentially.
Right now he is trying to enjoy the time we have left. He doesn't talk about marriage and doesn't seem to try and change my mind (at least not directly, but I guess manipulation - as you mentioned - is a possibility).

Old 07-27-2017, 08:54 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
OP: Our Son married a girl from China, they were long distance for a couple of years then he went to China and they got married in China and he came back to the USA and she stayed in China. They were married for about 2 years before she was able to come to the USA permanently so I know if you really love someone and want to be with them you do not have to rush into marriage. You have to be patient and wait for things to go through all of the necessary approval.
He visited China 4 times in 2 years after they were married and she was able to come to the USA 2 times in 2 years.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
OP: Our Son married a girl from China, they were long distance for a couple of years then he went to China and they got married in China and he came back to the USA and she stayed in China. They were married for about 2 years before she was able to come to the USA permanently so I know if you really love someone and want to be with them you do not have to rush into marriage. You have to be patient and wait for things to go through all of the necessary approval.
He visited China 4 times in 2 years after they were married and she was able to come to the USA 2 times in 2 years.
I am definitely curious to see if my boyfriend will be open to long distance relationship. That's a very good point.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:57 AM

UPDATE:

After I told my bf that I won't be able to marry him at this time, things have slightly changed. I tend to attribute it to him being disappointed, however, he says that it's me that changed my attitude and my behavior. I have to admit, it is a very different feeling when you think you'd spend the rest of your life together and now realizing you won't.

I am not as emotionally invested into this as before, and it is noticeable. What upsets me is that my bf does not try to talk about us (not) marrying, he has never mentioned that he wants me in his life as a wife. Maybe it is just him accepting that I made a decision and it's done, or maybe loosing me wasn't that important after all.
He said that he noticed things about my character that he didn't notice before, particularly, me blaming him for every small thing (dirty dishes, something broken, etc., small stuff) and that it makes him feel like a push-over. So he now speaks up every time I say something and tries to fight me on everything I say. I think this is him way to show that he is not a push-over. I never thought he was, and I did not treat him that way (at least not intentionally), but anyway, it's more than unpleasant to be around each other now.

To me it seems like he accepted the fact we will no longer be together. It was also a bit disappointing that he did not try to fight for us. I am going through a lot of other issues (that he is very aware of), and I am definitely more stressed and less fun to be around, and I tried explaining this to my bf. I think he tried to be there for me but at the same time my overall stress, lack of time and attention to him, irritability and backing off the marriage thing essentially broke everything we had. I take the blame for everything that went wrong. Just disappointed that he gave up so quickly.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:33 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wia021 View Post
UPDATE:

After I told my bf that I won't be able to marry him at this time, things have slightly changed. I tend to attribute it to him being disappointed, however, he says that it's me that changed my attitude and my behavior. I have to admit, it is a very different feeling when you think you'd spend the rest of your life together and now realizing you won't.

I am not as emotionally invested into this as before, and it is noticeable. What upsets me is that my bf does not try to talk about us (not) marrying, he has never mentioned that he wants me in his life as a wife. Maybe it is just him accepting that I made a decision and it's done, or maybe loosing me wasn't that important after all.
He said that he noticed things about my character that he didn't notice before, particularly, me blaming him for every small thing (dirty dishes, something broken, etc., small stuff) and that it makes him feel like a push-over. So he now speaks up every time I say something and tries to fight me on everything I say. I think this is him way to show that he is not a push-over. I never thought he was, and I did not treat him that way (at least not intentionally), but anyway, it's more than unpleasant to be around each other now.

To me it seems like he accepted the fact we will no longer be together. It was also a bit disappointing that he did not try to fight for us. I am going through a lot of other issues (that he is very aware of), and I am definitely more stressed and less fun to be around, and I tried explaining this to my bf. I think he tried to be there for me but at the same time my overall stress, lack of time and attention to him, irritability and backing off the marriage thing essentially broke everything we had. I take the blame for everything that went wrong. Just disappointed that he gave up so quickly.
Classic behavior of a user. You aren't immediately giving him what he wants, so he is now moving on.

You dodged a bullet.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Classic behavior of a user. You aren't immediately giving him what he wants, so he is now moving on.

You dodged a bullet.
Frankly, I am still hesitant about my decision, and a big part of me wants to be with him and even take a risk of getting married so soon. But the passive approach that he has taken to this is very alarming and disappointing.
I think he has feelings for me, but I think this is not his priority. He's been really great to me, we shared a lot and never had serious fights or conflict till a few weeks ago. I had a very serious relationship before (no visa issues), and that guy tried to get us back together and did not give up on us for a long time. Maybe people are just different in how they handle things, and maybe I just don't trust my bf enough but I am definitely surprised he is not trying to work things out and go "together through anything".

Old 08-03-2017, 07:54 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Even IF he didn't just want the green card, his behavior with you now might very well indicate how he would have treated you after marriage if you displeased him in some way.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:11 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Even IF he didn't just want the green card, his behavior with you now might very well indicate how he would have treated you after marriage if you displeased him in some way.
Yep. OP, he wanted you primarily for his way into the country. I know that you really want to think the best, but that's apparent.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:04 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
I think he assumed you were at the point where you was ready for it, but all in all I agree it's certainly nothing to jump into. However it seems like part of the issue is you here, not just him wanting to get married "now". It's not an overnight process anyway you have to apply for a fiance visa for him and he has to do something at the U.S. embassy in his country I believe. Income is also taken into consideration.

Did you ask him to simply wait another year or did you just say no I don't want to marry you at all? Seems like there's some missing conversations here and/or key points of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships