Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:17 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheMack2017 View Post
well, if you approach it with the idea that 80% of men are below average, what you say makes perfect sense!
I think there was some study stating that women think 80% of men are below average while men tended to rate women almost uniformly on a bell-curve. Men that are actually on the low end of "hot" are seen as "OK" or "cute" by women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 10:33 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
I would not waste money on PoF don't give them one cent. It's a very low quality site even just at the design and format level. If you have to use a free site use OKC they all suck in my opinion but at least OKC does more interesting things.

Match is the king of fake profiles generated by people in third world countries pretty sure they are on Match's payroll can't believe they haven't been sued again by now.

The guy that started PoF is a multi-millionaire now which is basically the equivalent of someone becoming a
multi-millionaire off of selling cold, straight out of the package, Oscar Mayer hot dogs to homeless people on the street.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
My brother met his wife on there. Ironically they were going to delete there accounts around the time I think my brother would message her. The person who sold my neither his engagement and wedding rings meet his wife/girlfriend in it. I would try it and not get far with it. I only had one girl I dated from it and she was a total catch. She was a flake. I don't blame POF for that but it isn't the best dating website out there at all and quite possibly the worst.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:23 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I would not waste money on PoF don't give them one cent. It's a very low quality site even just at the design and format level. If you have to use a free site use OKC they all suck in my opinion but at least OKC does more interesting things.

Match is the king of fake profiles generated by people in third world countries pretty sure they are on Match's payroll can't believe they haven't been sued again by now.

The guy that started PoF is a multi-millionaire now which is basically the equivalent of someone becoming a multi-millionaire off of selling cold, straight out of the package, Oscar Mayer hot dogs to homeless people on the street.
It's not a good plan, homeless people don't have much money.
But I agree, don't pay for POF, and use the format to filter out people you're obviously not attracted to.

Try that, message the few that you're excited about. Don't don't waste any time looking through every profile, of every lady, within 20 years of your age. It's a better experience to just concentrate on those that may interest you.

If you get no response, work on your profile or messaging. Still no response? Try something else.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:37 AM

365 posts, read 258,245 times
I've pretty much decided I'm not going to pay for POF.

The more I look at the profiles the more frustrated I get and paying isn't gong to change that one bit. The writing and photos are sub-par for the most part. Yesterday I got contacted by a lady - her message consisted of "Hi, There!". Photos were of her cat, art work of some type, her photos were obviously from years ago (or she has aged VERY VERY well!!!) and what I think are current photos had her wearing big sunglasses in every one. Not one clear shot of her face today. Not one clear full body shot. Not a one.

I easily understand why the women who write a good profile, have great photos of themselves are flooded with messages. Note I did not say fabulously good looking, just good writing and good photos. They are a very small percentage.

I think I will go vacuum my carpet, it would be more fun than meeting this person.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:30 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
The more common ones I see on PoF:

Don't message me if....
-You're living in your parents' basement
-You don't have a college degree
-You're not making $xxx/year
-You're missing teeth, or wear dentures
-You don't have a car, or even a driver's license
-You have joint custody of your children

And speaking of children, believe it or not, I saw one profile that said: "If you have X number of kids with X number of women, get lost!"

Old 07-31-2017, 03:42 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
The more common ones I see on PoF:

Don't message me if....
-You're living in your parents' basement
-You don't have a college degree
-You're not making $xxx/year
-You're missing teeth, or wear dentures
-You don't have a car, or even a driver's license
-You have joint custody of your children

And speaking of children, believe it or not, I saw one profile that said: "If you have X number of kids with X number of women, get lost!"
The long lists of expectations are the "always looking for the better deal" catalog shopping phenom taking the humanistic natural element out of dating and meeting people. I couldn't imagine passing up an awesome woman just because she didn't have a Master's degree or something. My list has like 4 things on it. ...see attached thumbnails of the skewed M:F ratio in my area :

Parameters :

10 mile radius, Age 30-40, 3 body types, no children. Same parameters, for both genders. I merely switched male looking for female, to F to M.

Male seeking Female : 262 hits
Female seeking Male : "over" 700 hits , maximum results not given since there was too many and PoF has a limit set on hits given at once.

My area is probably worse than a lot I'm totally in the middle of a sausagefest, however it's probably fairly similar in much of the country.
Attached Thumbnails
Plenty of Fish Upgrade - Worth the $$'s???-mtof1of2.png   Plenty of Fish Upgrade - Worth the $$'s???-ftom2of2.png  

Last edited by wanderlust76; 07-31-2017 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 04:07 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
The long lists of expectations are the "always looking for the better deal" catalog shopping phenom taking the humanistic natural element out of dating and meeting people. I couldn't imagine passing up an awesome woman just because she didn't have a Master's degree or something. My list has like 4 things on it. ...see attached thumbnails of the skewed M:F ratio in my area :

Parameters :

10 mile radius, Age 30-40, 3 body types, no children. Same parameters, for both genders. I merely switched male looking for female, to F to M.

Female seeking Male : "over" 700 hits , maximum results not given since there was too many and PoF has a limit set on hits given at once.

My area is probably worse than a lot I'm totally in the middle of a sausagefest, however it's probably fairly similar in much of the country.
I'm wondering why you use the exaggeration and straw man argument in highlighted black above. No one is passing up an interesting person because they do not have a Masters degree. Why the exaggeration? No one demands or requires that the people they date have a Masters degree. But being college educated and having a Bachelors degree is not an outlandish wish, if the seeker of dates also is college-educated.

I do agree with the following and it is well-said from you: "The long lists of expectations are the "always looking for the better deal" catalog shopping phenom taking the humanistic natural element out of dating and meeting people.

And why the "believe it or not" on this wish: "And speaking of children, believe it or not, I saw one profile that said: "If you have X number of kids with X number of women, get lost!" I do not think it is a particularly outlandish wish - to avoid complications. But I do agree some fine people might have this situation

Old 07-31-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

And why the "believe it or not" on this wish: "And speaking of children, believe it or not, I saw one profile that said: "If you have X number of kids with X number of women, get lost!" I do not think it is a particularly outlandish wish - to avoid complications. But I do agree some fine people might have this situation

I think it is the wording and tone. It's hostile and makes me wonder what other things will trigger her to tell me to 'get lost!'????

Old 07-31-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Parameters :

Just did a similar search in my neck of the woods. Results

Females - 271 listed
Males - 389 listed.

Or 1.4 men for every female.

I guess I need to move somewhere else.

Or find an OLD service that the women feel more comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships