Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 08:34 AM

77 posts, read 59,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I think there's an option for Happn to set "location on" only if you're using the app, and not all the time, but I could be wrong.

Yes there is that option...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 10:29 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Still can't get a match on tinder

Old 05-16-2018, 03:21 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,284 times
Well i think a lot of women will use it a lot more sparsely, because they tend to be more selective than men. Just think of all the guys who just mass-swipe right.
I used to do this as well. Just spam-click like, passed through my 2000 profiles in half an hour before the app gets you a timeout for spam-liking and leave it for 24h and then repeat.
I mean sometimes I'd look at a couple of profiles to waste some time on a bus or train or whatever, but most of the profiles got spam-liked.

After the first 5 minutes of having the app I got a "match" we chatted a little, neithe rof us were for the other.
Then it took like 6 weeks without a single match and I was giving up on it.
Then some of the profiles I recognized from early on started matching... most of them didn't reply and some were baiting bots sending viruslinks etc, but a few did reply and every month or so I got 1 date.
After 4 or 5 or so of these dates that had all been 1 first date, no second date I got tired of it and removed the app.

Then I got it back again a few months later this January. I heard that the ratio between likes and dislikes pushes you forward or backward in the que of when people can view you, so I changed the settings so that I could view men as if I was gay and then spam-disliked men for a while. So after lets say disliking maybe 5000 or so men I went back to swiping women again and this time selectively.

Then I matched with a girl pretty quickly and now we've been dating for 4 months.

I might add that someone did a study and found that men only get some type of match about 0.67% of the time. This is also very strongly pareto distributed, meaning a very select few men get the absolute majority of all matches with the women. So maybe the bottom 50% or so of male users should never get any match no matter how much they use these apps.

I think the correct way to view especially the ones where the "main" venue is via mobile phones (as opposed to the main venue being via a computer) is that it's like a bar scene on steroids.
If you do well in a bar scene, tinder is going to be eldorado.
If you do poorly in a bar scene, tinder is going to make you feel worthless.

Last edited by SwedishViking; 05-16-2018 at 03:31 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 10:42 PM

55 posts, read 36,065 times
Same sitch here as OP. I've tried Tinder on-and-off again over the years (easily thousands, probably over 10k+) of swipes, I think I've tried Bumble twice. No matches whatsoever (in a fairly major metro area, mind you). I've got a variety of decent pictures, some head shots, full body, action shots, not all (not many, actually) selfies. Tried a variety of them. Tried a variety of bio blurbs... tried no blurb. I dunno. I don't think I'm bad looking. I'm not outta shape. Nothing. Nada. I don't "get it", I guess.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:50 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,233 times
Two rules for men on dating apps.

1. Look like a male model.
2. Don't not look like a male model.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
Two rules for men on dating apps.

1. Look like a male model.
2. Don't not look like a male model.

Is this true? I wouldn't think so many people would use them if that was true. One of my coworkers had a Bumble date not that long ago with a pretty lady (at least I thought so) and while I wouldn't say he was bad looking, I don't think he'd have a shot at being a male model. Doesn't even really have the style necessary, let alone the visage I think you'd need.

Last edited by Eastbound_And_Up; 05-19-2018 at 12:10 AM..

Old 05-19-2018, 12:08 AM

617 posts, read 1,202,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbound_And_Up View Post
Is this true? I wouldn't think so many people would use them if that was true. One of my coworkers had a Bumble date not that long ago with a pretty lady (at least I thought so) and while I wouldn't' say he was bad looking, I don't think he'd have a shot at being one. Doesn't even really have the style necessary, let alone the visage I think you'd need.

There will always be exceptions to the rule, but a study showed that women swipe right only 14% of the time on Tinder.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
There will always be exceptions to the rule, but a study showed that women swipe right only 14% of the time on Tinder.

14% of all men (i.e. 86% of men are never ever swiped right), or they swipe right '14% of the time', which with different women swiping different men would yield a likely higher result. In fact, all the guys I know who have used Tinder have had matches and dates from it. They're ALL exceptions to the rule, then?

Also, I'm pretty sure the percentage of men who are working as male models is well below 1%. I've never met one in my life. I dated a couple of women who did some pro modeling (one did stuff for Target, the other did some shoots for gothic magazines), but not as a primary career.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:34 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
The one match I received on bumble she lives 60 miles seay

Old 05-19-2018, 09:04 AM

947 posts, read 1,186,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The one match I received on bumble she lives 60 miles seay
It's just a 1 hr drive, why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships