Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 08:47 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Its on you, Bro but

At 38, with the goth stuff, if its like a "on the weekends thing" to have fun , not so bad, but full-time goth, shaking bones in a bowl, play pretend, that will get old quick. At that age, their is no room for full-time pretend paganism? . As a professional look, its not impressive. In public, getting stared at, like weirdos, can you deal with the attention?

This is not much different than the 38 years old, always wearing a bow in her hair, wearing little girl outfits, 24/7, like a Mimi Boebek from the Drew Carey show. Not everyone is up to the challenge with an eccentric.
True, not everyone is up to the "challenge" of being with an eccentric...some people are not up to the "challenge" of someone who just wants to blend into society, either. We all get to choose these kinds of things. I've always found conformity unappealing, but I've learned as I've gotten older that the ones who really look weird aren't always the most interesting beneath the surface. Some of the oddest souls I've had the pleasure of getting to know have LOOKED fairly normal. But whether it's on the outside, inside, or both, I could never be happy with someone who just wanted to toe the line of normal behavior and who was happy adhering to socially normal things most of the time. The whole "House in the burbs, khaki pants, mow the lawn, walk the dog, go to church, watch the game, 9-5, vanilla sex, meatloaf Thursdays, rinse repeat until you die" life is not my idea of happiness. A guy might LOOK like that person (my current boyfriend does) but have a whole lot of surprises under the hood. That's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
No and here is why. I remember looking for a book in the library once, when a goth girl said to me, "If we had an eugenics program, you'd definitely be a breeder." It was the first time a woman creeped me out and it forever turned me off from goth girls forever.
While I stick to the belief that it's completely fine to like what you like and one's dating choices should not be seen as any kind of discrimination... I could say that a guy who was into football once said some disgusting offensive thing to me, and it put me off that kind of men forever, and ask do you think it's fair to judge all by the choices of one? But of the two notions I present in this paragraph, the first (date who you want) takes precedent, I think. *shrug*

Personally I think it would be cool to own a hearse. I had a chance to buy one cheap once, but it looked like an old vehicle and I just worried that there might be a lot of work needing done on it that I might not know about at first, and I didn't want to have a money-pit of a junk pile on my hands. It wasn't a chance I was willing to take, and did not seem practical, so I passed on it. But I imagine you could, if you had the time, money, and/or skills, really trick out the back of one of those things. Think of the speakers you could fit in there! We've got an annual event around Halloween up in a little mountain town near here, where a bunch of hearses, most of them sporting a lot of cool custom mods, come out as part of a parade. It's fun.

I do draw the line with grown adults who take their expression to a pretentious or dysfunctional place, and certainly some do--regardless of the nature of their passions--but otherwise, I don't think it's really that big a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 01:18 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Anyone done it? I have been on a few dates with one and though nice she has some odd quirks. For one, she is 38 seems a little old for it? Secondly, she drives a hearse. Not because she works at a funeral home, either. She is really into paganism as well. Not sure if any of this matters but I find it all odd.
38 a little old for it?

Who do you think invented the Gothic phenomenon?

Clue ... I can remember some things from my high school days.

That was back in the Pre-Cambrian.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:27 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times
As for the age thing I only have one question--

How much has she grown as a person from who she was 15 years ago?

I have a good friend who is a punk rock chick about this age. Still dresses the part. Still has the exact same underemployed job, still living in a crappy apartment infested with roaches. Still dating guys who she would have been interested in in high school. Trouble is now she has a few kids and no idea how to parent, change or sacrifice. She is arrested in her early 20s and has not grown at all. The way she dresses and what she is interested in helps keep her in that era and space. And its a signal to everyone who knows her what she is all about, so it attracts like minded people who are also arrested developmentally. She is very unhappy but won't change a thing.

If that is not the case with your friend, go for it! If she is stuck in her high school persona, run like the wind.

Last edited by emotiioo; 08-22-2017 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 02:25 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Has anyone besides me raised one eyebrow, Spock-like, at a poster who has chosen the name, "Gothick" questioning whether it is appropriate for another human to be goth at whatever age, and whether they are someone he ought to date? Color me curious...

Old 08-22-2017, 03:55 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Has anyone besides me raised one eyebrow...
At the opening post of any new user? Yes. Always. More of you should.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:29 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Has anyone besides me raised one eyebrow, Spock-like, at a poster who has chosen the name, "Gothick" questioning whether it is appropriate for another human to be goth at whatever age, and whether they are someone he ought to date? Color me curious...
"Fascinating, Captain."

Old 08-24-2017, 02:08 AM

100 posts, read 81,301 times
Quote:
LOL was to lazy to think of some other name, being she is a Gothic chick I figured it would be an easy name.

Anyway, I have decided to continue dating her and see where it goes. She seems fun enough.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:25 PM

926 posts, read 828,578 times
This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read on here. First time she pulled up in the hearse I would've been like "Wtf awww hell no" she probably a devil worshiper.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:57 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
I once came close to dating someone Gothic, after I messaged her on a dating site. I was 25; she was 23 or so. I didn't really expect a reply; I mostly wanted to compliment her on her off-the-wall profile. To my surprise, she responded, and seemed pretty enthusiastic. About 7 days and 20 messages later, we met for frozen yogurt.

Wow! I thought she'd wear something like a black T-shirt or Ed Hardy, and that's about it, but she went all out! Clothes, hair, jewelry, tattoos, piercings, the whole nine yards. I went through with the date to be polite; and honestly, I was intrigued by the outfit. She seemed cool and fun; we had a lively conversation non-stop the whole time. But it ended there. I couldn't do it! <shrug> Perhaps I cared too much about what people thought, because I was younger. And truth be told, I'd have had a difficult time integrating her into my social circle back then. (My social circle today is much more nonchalant about people's individual quirks.)

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 08-27-2017 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships