Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 02:24 PM

1,178 posts, read 685,373 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, How long do you date someone until you are sure you want to take things to the next level? Next level being committed relationship. For me, I would prefer to date for quite some time--six months or so--but that does not appear to be the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 02:32 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,405,909 times
Difficult question to answer since each relationship is different. Also depends on how many times you see each other a week, and talk.

For me, I think 6 months would be way too long, though. I'd say 2-3 months of consistently dating and enjoying each other's company. I'd bring up being exclusive around that timeframe.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:34 PM

Hmmm. Let's say once a week, for about three hour dates IRL. Perhaps a call or email on between the dates (so aprox 24 dates)?. Would that stay the same for you?

Old 08-18-2017, 02:35 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I have this odd deep feeling that might depend a bit on age and experience. A young inexperienced person might be really idealistic, and just jump in pretty quick. One who has seen some things, might have a better idea of what could go wrong if they move too fast... Or, alternately, I've known older adults who just can't stand to be alone and are in a rush to secure the next serious partner and escalate matters with them. Depends on how independent they are capable of being, I suppose.

I wasn't even thinking about commitment for the first 9 months or so I was involved with my current BF. That was when I made some promises to be exclusive with him (I was poly, so not operating under normal parameters there)...then it was about over a year into the relationship we started talking about moving in together. We're approaching the 2 year mark, later this fall, and we're getting ready to actually move in together. Only a few months ago we discussed if marriage might eventually be a good idea (we agree that it might, but want to take our time getting there, and plan to consider doing it in about 3 years or so.)

I cannot speak to what is normal. I can only say that this is the most successful, happy relationship I've ever had, and this is how it has gone.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:48 PM

888 posts, read 555,517 times
My husband and I didn't talk commitment until around the year mark. I like to take things slow. I just enjoyed dating here and there and getting to know each other.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
My husband and I didn't talk commitment until around the year mark. I like to take things slow. I just enjoyed dating here and there and getting to know each other.
Ok. I was mainly curious to know if anyone else preferred this kind of dating. This is how I like to date.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:26 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,405,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
Hmmm. Let's say once a week, for about three hour dates IRL. Perhaps a call or email on between the dates (so aprox 24 dates)?. Would that stay the same for you?
Once a week for 3 hours, and daily calling/texting? 2-3 months would still be good, but maybe more towards the 3 month mark (or a bit more).

Like I mentioned, it's not easy to answer since there are variables at play. If I saw a woman I was dating 7 times a week for example (2-3 hour dates), then maybe something like 1 month would probably be okay, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
1 year mark would be way TOO long for me, I think. It might make me wonder if she's really into me, or is just enjoying dating around.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:29 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Before going out exclusively? If you'd gone out a couple times a week, I'd think you'd be able to tell by a month or two...otherwise it seems you're really just FWBs. I mean we're not talking about getting engaged...just not seeing others.

Keep in mind that MANY people on city-data don't think you should EVER date more than one person at a time so this should be interesting. Maybe those folks start out dating exclusively and then either get engaged or break up after a month or two?

Old 08-18-2017, 03:53 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
You should be able to tell rather quickly, but each person you date will be different. I try and feel it out and hint at it, see what there response is. Within two months you should know for sure. Or at least have a good idea its going somewhere.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:54 PM

888 posts, read 555,517 times
[quote=

1 year mark would be way TOO long for me, I think. It might make me wonder if she's really into me, or is just enjoying dating around.[/quote]

Well, I consider dating to be just that. Getting to know someone and dating around. Being really into someone in the beginning doesn't mean anything, it's all excitement and being hot for someone. It takes much longer to actually know the person, and know if you like them as a person. That's just how I am. I have a friend who leaps into relationship after relationship, because she so wants a relationship, and it's always a disaster. I may also be a bit different, in that I was happy single, and wasn't in any rush to settle down, and honestly didn't have any real desire to be married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships