Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 12:12 AM

218 posts, read 172,017 times

Advertisements

I have a friend, 26 who had been dating a woman, same age for two years, neither of them had any education or good jobs, she works at wal mart and he keeps switching jobs but has trouble due to a back injury. He ended up getting her pregnant and just 4 months later got married. I didn't pry into it but he said he and his wife just thought it was the right time, they both have lots of debt as well. She eventually had the kid and she is 6 months old and he is still trying to get a job. Just recently he informed me that his wife has asked for a divorce though apparently it at least seems to be amicable. He lives with one of his friends and to his credit does look after his daughter while the wife is at work, and there doesn't seem to be much hostility between the two.

I asked him how he felt and he just said "It is what it is". He doesn't seem to upset about it. Funny thing is this kind of scenario seems quite common. Two people get together, have no education let alone good jobs/careers, end up having a kid then soon after think getting married is a good idea only to divorce shortly after. In my friends case neither he nor his wife have any kind of assets at all though she is the only one working currently though he is getting a security job.

Though I have had past relationships I have never been married or have kids but even so I definitely made sure not to get any woman pregnant and do have an education with a good job. I just find it strange how common this kind of scenario is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 12:17 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Short-sighted thinking is what it is.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:47 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I kinda like that the woman has managed to be the same age for two years - if she can put that in a bottle, she'll make millions.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:27 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
I have a friend, 26 who had been dating a woman, same age for two years, neither of them had any education or good jobs, she works at wal mart and he keeps switching jobs but has trouble due to a back injury. He ended up getting her pregnant and just 4 months later got married. I didn't pry into it but he said he and his wife just thought it was the right time, they both have lots of debt as well. She eventually had the kid and she is 6 months old and he is still trying to get a job. Just recently he informed me that his wife has asked for a divorce though apparently it at least seems to be amicable. He lives with one of his friends and to his credit does look after his daughter while the wife is at work, and there doesn't seem to be much hostility between the two.

I asked him how he felt and he just said "It is what it is". He doesn't seem to upset about it. Funny thing is this kind of scenario seems quite common. Two people get together, have no education let alone good jobs/careers, end up having a kid then soon after think getting married is a good idea only to divorce shortly after. In my friends case neither he nor his wife have any kind of assets at all though she is the only one working currently though he is getting a security job.

Though I have had past relationships I have never been married or have kids but even so I definitely made sure not to get any woman pregnant and do have an education with a good job. I just find it strange how common this kind of scenario is.
You sound sensible.

I think what you describe is something that has been foisted upon many, due to pregnancy and "religious reasons". I hate to see some forced into this and many barely know each other. Birth control should be seen as a necessity and is a waste to bother marrying, many times. It seems to me, SEX causes a lot of problems - pregnancy, forced relationships / marriages, divorce, the interfering with education or employment, lack of income, not getting ahead, the stress of supporting others. People get together for sex, then when time and interferences alter things between them and sex becomes secondary, it may begin being sought elsewhere, then may start all over again with another. Then, there is Child Support and the connection to a child for life. Besides there always being housing demands, competing for jobs, smog, etc., all due to overpopulation.

It's 2017, time for some new "rules".

Old 08-21-2017, 04:22 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Why do people think getting married right after having a kid is a good idea?
The main issue is responsibility, accountability.

Marriage is a legal contract that implies certain court-enforceable care-giving responsibilities and accounting.

Many people marry in the scenario that you describe out of a sense of responsibility towards the consequences of their actions, i.e. the child, legal responsibility, financial, moral, emotional and otherwise.

To be sure, though marriage is a legal contract, the concept is shrouded in lots of emotion.

Sometimes the marriage lasts, sometimes it doesn't.

At the least, the legal and financial responsibility remain, marriage or not, because parenthood, marriage or not, also implies legal responsibilities, among other types of responsibilities.

In some cases one or both the parents try to evade even those responsibilities.

So what you are really asking is what do parents do to live up to their responsibilities?

What you are really asking is whether there should be legal institutions and/or other social institutions to enforce performance of such responsibilities in the case of unwillingness, negligence and/or incapability on the part of one or both?

It seems to me we live in a society where there already is a variety of tools to employ in a certain number of scenarios, but with only varying degrees of success because there is an any number of scenarios in dealings involving two or more human beings.

Are you looking for the single perfect tool that works perfectly in every scenario?

Or are you looking for a specific tool for your specific situation?

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 08-21-2017 at 04:53 AM..

Old 08-21-2017, 05:22 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Dumb to have the kid in those circumstances but if he has any interest in getting a good custody arrangement he has a better chance in a divorce than he would have had in a custody battle as an unmarried father.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:01 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
This is not a common scenario among people I know or any of my sons' friends.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:06 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Why do people think it's a good idea to have kids without being married?

Old 08-21-2017, 06:52 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
A holdover of old-fashioned ideals that baby must equal marriage.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:23 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
A holdover of old-fashioned ideals that baby must equal marriage.
Yes and it makes social, economic and operational sense.

I've been seeing a number of married couples whose relationship has quickly dissolved AFTER having a kid.
It seems like a full-blown trend to me. I'd have to take my shoes off to count them all. So that question is more interesting to me (why do many married couples divorce or separate shortly after having their first child?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships