Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 02:13 PM

390 posts, read 379,780 times

Advertisements

OK wait so I am confused. Like if you are sitting at the dinner table:

"Please pass the salt MARY"
"Thank you MARY"
"I'm going to the men's room MARY"
"I would like dessert how about you MARY?
"Can I come in for a nightcap MARY?"
"Thanks for the nice evening MARY"

I mean I don't get it. Like, "Hey Mary how are you?". Then how many more times do you need him to say your name in that conversation or through out the evening? Or even "Hi beautiful how was your day?" You feel disrespected because he didn't say "Hi Mary"?

Old 08-24-2017, 02:17 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewithin View Post
So I am 1 week away from a month trip out of the country so I am just relaxed and also besides that he's really a great guy so that's why I keep seeing him. The thing here is that if he told me that I would try to fix it but he doesn't .
He's a really great guy, but he won't say your name, in how many weeks of dating him and chatting at the gym? He's a really great guy, but won't say your name ever, even after you ask him to? Yeah, we know what "the thing here is"; it's that he doesn't get that it's important to you to be acknowledged in this way, and he avoids doing it, even after you explained how important to you it is. What some of us are saying is that you need to think about the implications of that.

By continuing to hang out with him, you're sending him a signal that in fact, it's OK with you that he doesn't use your name when speaking to you. You're signaling that you've decided it ISN'T important to you, after all.

Make up your mind about what's really important to you, then act accordingly.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:33 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieosage View Post

"Thank you MARY"

I mean I don't get it. Like, "Hey Mary how are you?". Then how many more times do you need him to say your name in that conversation or through out the evening? Or even "Hi beautiful how was your day?" You feel disrespected because he didn't say "Hi Mary"?
Probably once per conversation would be enough, don't you think? Do you really think the OP is asking for something extreme? I don't believe you do. This is just a typical C-D response of taking things to extremes.

Probably something like, "Hi, Jane" at the beginning of a conversation at the gym, say, would be enough. Vs. simply walking up to her and saying "Hey" every time. Maybe she doesn't like being called "Hey". If that's a thing with her, it's an effortless adjustment to make. She's not asking him to part the Red Sea for her. It's not unreasonable.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:35 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Prehapes knowing each other for only three weeks in a sortsmenship-like setting is a factor in why he speaks to you this way?

Have you ever spoken outside of basketball or outside of the gym alone?

Old 08-24-2017, 02:43 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is just a typical C-D response of taking things to extremes.
You're the one who, given the options of,
1) assume the worst
2) maybe he's, like other people, just not used to using people's names in conversation
chose 1.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:47 PM

33 posts, read 30,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieosage View Post

"Thank you MARY"

So, that's the thing. Instead of using my name he'll be like:

"Please pass the salt"
"Thank you "
"I'm going to the men's room "
"I would like dessert how about you ?
"Can I come in for a nightcap ?"
"Thanks for the nice evening "

He's just talking like that, never using my name. I find that really weird too since I will talk to people the way you mention in your example.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Prehapes knowing each other for only three weeks in a sortsmenship-like setting is a factor in why he speaks to you this way?

Have you ever spoken outside of basketball or outside of the gym alone?
Yes, we did many times. I thought the same thing, maybe because we don't know each other well, but in fact we see each other 3-4 times a week at games at least which is not that bad

Old 08-24-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Probably once per conversation would be enough, don't you think? Do you really think the OP is asking for something extreme? I don't believe you do. This is just a typical C-D response of taking things to extremes.

Probably something like, "Hi, Jane" at the beginning of a conversation at the gym, say, would be enough. Vs. simply walking up to her and saying "Hey" every time. Maybe she doesn't like being called "Hey". If that's a thing with her, it's an effortless adjustment to make. She's not asking him to part the Red Sea for her. It's not unreasonable.
Thanx. This is exactly how I feel. I don't want him to use it in every sentence but mentioning it once in a while would be nice.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewithin View Post
Thanx. This is exactly how I feel. I don't want him to use it in every sentence but mentioning it once in a while would be nice.
It's obvious he's not planning on doing that anytime soon.

This is common enough that there are pages about it online:

https://www.google.com/search?q=he+w...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Apparently it's a common sign that he could be a womanizer.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's obvious he's not planning on doing that anytime soon.

This is common enough that there are pages about it online:

https://www.google.com/search?q=he+w...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Apparently it's a common sign that he could be a womanizer.

Thanx . I did google it before but couldn't find a solution of my problem. Obviously when it becomes a habit is difficult to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships