U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 AM

Location: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
88 posts, read 189,658 times
Cool Female Sexuality: A Fetishized Commodity?

"Objectification makes sexuality a material reality of women's lives, not just a psychological, attitudinal, or ideological one. It obliterates the mind/matter distinction that such a division is premised upon. Like the value of a commodity, women's sexual desirability is fetishized: it is made to appear a quality of the object itself, spontaneous and inherent, independent of the social relation which creates it, uncontrolled by the force that requires it. It helps if the object cooperates: hence, the vaginal orgasm; hence, faked orgasms altogether. Women's sexualness, like male prowess, is no less real for being mythic. It is embodied. Commodities do have value, but only because value is a social commodity arising from the totality of the same social relations which, unconscious of their determination, fetishize it. Women's bodies possess no less real desirability - or, probably, desire. Sartre exemplifies the problem on the epistemological level: "But if I desire a house, or a glass of water, or a woman's body, how could this body, this glass, this piece of property reside in my desire and how can my desire be anything but the consciousness of these objects as desirable?" Indeed. Objectivity is the methodological stance of which objectification is the social process. Sexual objectification is the primary process of the subjection of women. It unites act with word, construction with expression, perception with enforcement, myth with reality. Man ****s woman; subject, verb, object."

The foregoing observations are an excerpt from Catherine MacKinnon's essay "On Coercion of Women's Sexuality" from THE SIGNS READER, Abel & Abel eds. University of Chicago Press.

1. Are MacKinnon's views excessively determinist?
2. To what degree would the elimination of both the vaginal orgasm and the faked orgasm affect the sexual desirability of womankind?
3. Exactly what is, as MacKinnon writes, "the force that requires it"?
4. Do our traditions and media cause our attitudes toward the weaker sex?
5. Indeed, are human actions merely conditioned reflexes?
6. Would it surprise you to learn that MacKinnon is a bull dyke? Or a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model?
7. To the degree that women's sexual desirability is "fetishized," does it enrich our lives?
8. MacKinnon claims, "Sexual objectification is the primary process of the subjection of women." Corollary: Sexual objectification of women is the primary process of the manipulation of men. True or false?
9. Is not a woman's sexual desirability in fact inherently "a quality of the object itself"?
10. What do you think is MacKinnon's agenda?

Old 03-14-2008, 09:52 AM

8,002 posts, read 13,023,795 times
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Good lord, I got a headache just reading that. I'll respond later after taking a couple Excedrin.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:53 AM

14,872 posts, read 24,702,769 times
My guess...he's not getting any.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:56 AM

2,238 posts, read 6,347,736 times
Sounds like a bunch of self-stroking pseudoscientific psychobabble hoohah to me.

(Yes, I said "self-stroking" and "hoohah", you know I did.)

Old 03-14-2008, 02:13 PM

5,004 posts, read 5,116,076 times
That's one way to make sex boring - over-intellectualize it!

That...is so heavy...

Old 03-14-2008, 02:14 PM

24,781 posts, read 26,159,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian Enigma View Post
"Objectification makes sexuality a material reality of women's lives, not just a psychological, attitudinal, or ideological one. It obliterates the mind/matter distinction that such a division is premised upon. Like the value of a commodity, women's sexual desirability is fetishized: it is made to appear a quality of the object itself, spontaneous and inherent, independent of the social relation which creates it, uncontrolled by the force that requires it. It helps if the object cooperates: hence, the vaginal orgasm; hence, faked orgasms altogether. Women's sexualness, like male prowess, is no less real for being mythic. It is embodied. Commodities do have value, but only because value is a social commodity arising from the totality of the same social relations which, unconscious of their determination, fetishize it. Women's bodies possess no less real desirability - or, probably, desire. Sartre exemplifies the problem on the epistemological level: "But if I desire a house, or a glass of water, or a woman's body, how could this body, this glass, this piece of property reside in my desire and how can my desire be anything but the consciousness of these objects as desirable?" Indeed. Objectivity is the methodological stance of which objectification is the social process. Sexual objectification is the primary process of the subjection of women. It unites act with word, construction with expression, perception with enforcement, myth with reality. Man ****s woman; subject, verb, object."

The foregoing observations are an excerpt from Catherine MacKinnon's essay "On Coercion of Women's Sexuality" from THE SIGNS READER, Abel & Abel eds. University of Chicago Press.

1. Are MacKinnon's views excessively determinist?
2. To what degree would the elimination of both the vaginal orgasm and the faked orgasm affect the sexual desirability of womankind?
3. Exactly what is, as MacKinnon writes, "the force that requires it"?
4. Do our traditions and media cause our attitudes toward the weaker sex?
5. Indeed, are human actions merely conditioned reflexes?
6. Would it surprise you to learn that MacKinnon is a bull dyke? Or a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model?
7. To the degree that women's sexual desirability is "fetishized," does it enrich our lives?
8. MacKinnon claims, "Sexual objectification is the primary process of the subjection of women." Corollary: Sexual objectification of women is the primary process of the manipulation of men. True or false?
9. Is not a woman's sexual desirability in fact inherently "a quality of the object itself"?
10. What do you think is MacKinnon's agenda?
Why is that academicians seem incapable of writing in clear, understandable prose? Why must they hide behind such polysyllabic nonsense?

Catherine MacKinnon is a moonbat of the first order, and the less you read of her writings, the better. Remember this is the person who maintains that all sex between men and women is rape.

Camile Paglia is a lesbian feminist as well. But she doesn't adopt this shrill, adversarial viewpoint of relationships between women and men. Plus she can actually write a readable sentence.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:03 PM

779 posts, read 1,780,848 times
I'm tired already after reading the op.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 PM

17,694 posts, read 16,899,837 times
I cannot read that. I tried, really, I tried....

Old 03-16-2008, 01:31 PM

11,764 posts, read 17,942,844 times
Does anyone have Cliff Notes?

Old 03-16-2008, 01:33 PM

3,674 posts, read 6,935,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
My guess...he's not getting any.
Darn it!

I laughed so hard at your one-liner I spit my soda all over the place. Now my wife is making me clean it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships