Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 02:21 PM

1,178 posts, read 685,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
If this is the guy with anxiety, that's surely a factor in his dating history.
This is a different guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Doesn't mean he is necessarily a player.

But a man in his 40s whose longest relationship was less than a year .... red flag. Why do YOU think you are "better" than all the other women he had? You think he was waiting all his adult year for you because you are so different? Probably not.

No offense.

When I see on POF that guys state their longest relationship was less than 4 years and they never married, I don't contact them. I rather have a divorced dude with a crazy ex than a guy who was never able to commit.

If someone is older but never had anything long term, chances are high, there is something severely wrong with him or he just likes being a bachelor.

No offense taken. This is exactly what I was wondering--why has no one been "good enough" for him yet?

Old 09-01-2017, 03:07 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
He's just picky...
Sound like me. a few serious relationships but haven't found "the one"

Old 09-01-2017, 04:04 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
He's just picky...
Sound like me. a few serious relationships but haven't found "the one"
OP, here is the other side of the story ... no one good enough.

Thinks THE ONE exists and also wants him back and then they live happily ever after

Old 09-01-2017, 04:07 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
I didn't say no one was good enough

Old 09-01-2017, 04:11 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
No offense taken. This is exactly what I was wondering--why has no one been "good enough" for him yet?
I don't see how or why this would be an automatic red flag. If anything, it should be a positive since he was self-aware enough to realize that those women weren't the one for him instead of getting into marriage with them. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

Now, granted, he might be very picky, and that's something you should potentially look out for. Otherwise, only way to know for sure is to keep dating him.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:49 PM

581 posts, read 455,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
Went out with someone, several dates so far. We talked about the past relationships. I'm divorced (he cheated). He is 44ish. I asked about his past and he said he has had a few serious relationships. All have been less than a year. Two were about nine months but he didn't see marriage with them and they wanted to be married, as does he. He said he broke up with the women because they were getting more serious about him than he was about them and that he just hadn't met the right woman for him.

On the one hand, he didn't string them along indefinitely. On the other...it seems like he has never been in a long LTR and it seems as though he has always been the break-upper.

Is this a potential red flag or is he someone who just hasn't met the right one?
In general he is very nice and chivalrous as well as plans great dates.
That's a tough call. It's kind of weird a guy that age hasn't been able to find a suitable woman, especially if he really does want to get married. It sounds like he breaks up with them right when things are about to get serious, and then justifies it by saying "she just wasn't the one." Either that, or he has ridiculously high standards and a few unrealistic expectations when it comes to relationships.

I'm not saying not to date him, but I would just tread carefully.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
That's a tough call. It's kind of weird a guy that age hasn't been able to find a suitable woman, especially if he really does want to get married. It sounds like he breaks up with them right when things are about to get serious, and then justifies it by saying "she just wasn't the one." Either that, or he has ridiculously high standards and a few unrealistic expectations when it comes to relationships.

I'm not saying not to date him, but I would just tread carefully.
Yeah I will yellow flag it.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:41 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
When I see on POF that guys state their longest relationship was less than 4 years and they never married, I don't contact them. I rather have a divorced dude with a crazy ex than a guy who was never able to commit.
I used to be on the receiving end of this type of judgment. I had never married and some people saw that as a "red flag" while a divorce was considered just fine. I never could figure out why a failed marriage was better than no marriage. I wasn't unable to commit, it just took me longer than most to find the right person and I chose unwisely a few times along the way. I found it to be really flawed thinking, but I suppose everyone has their prejudices.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I used to be on the receiving end of this type of judgment. I had never married and some people saw that as a "red flag" while a divorce was considered just fine. I never could figure out why a failed marriage was better than no marriage. I wasn't unable to commit, it just took me longer than most to find the right person and I chose unwisely a few times along the way. I found it to be really flawed thinking, but I suppose everyone has their prejudices.
For me divorce is also a yellow flag. I'd have to know the circumstances which led to it. I wonder about the length of the relationships more than the unmarried status. None of them have been truly long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships