Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 11:13 PM

926 posts, read 673,138 times

Advertisements

I couldn't believe it when I saw this in Yahoo News, but there it was!

The dating app is called "Taffy" and it's for people that are average or below average in looks who are tired of dating other people that place too much importance on physical appearance instead of on basic personality traits of a person.

Mod cut: copyrighted image.

The app blurs your face and the face of a person whose profile you're looking at and are interested in. The app forces both people to get to know each other first BEFORE each of their profile photos are unblurred and finally revealed to the other person.

I honestly think this is a ridiculous app....I mean, what's the point in them blurring out the person's face? So you can "kind of see" what they look like before you start exchanging messages with them? This same process can be achieved by going on a regular dating site and NOT showing your photo OR you can "blur" your own photo and then post it on the dating site so people can "kind of" see what you look like.

I can understand the spirit in which this app was created; but still. They could've reworded the purpose of this app so as not to insult unattractive people. I don't think this app will take off or gain as much momentum and popularity as other dating apps out there, but ya never know!

What do you think of this app? Would you use an app like this so you could get to know a person first before you both see each other's photos?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-11-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 02:48 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
If it's being marketed as for Unattractive People then it's going to be assumed the user is unattractive.
Sure, some that are or think they are might think it's where they belong but doubt many will want to be there.
Now, if it was being marketed something like "Personality First" it could maybe draw a little more interest but , like you say, I can't personally see that there's a hole big enough that it would be filling to be successful..

Old 09-02-2017, 06:16 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,769,668 times
Wow what a judgy app. What's unattractive? If you have only one eye and no nose? Beauty is subjective anyway. And anyone with an ounce of self-esteem would not admit to being unattractive. They really screwed up with the marketing.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:39 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
This reminds me of one of those spoof ads they did on SNL many years back for an OLD site called "Lowered Expectations."

I don't think it's necessarily a terrible idea for there to be something like this. Why not, I guess? :shrugs:

Old 09-02-2017, 07:57 AM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
I'm unattractive but I wouldn't use it because I'm not attracted to unattractive women..

Old 09-02-2017, 09:03 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,168 times
I think it's being marketed toward people who value chit-chat conversation over looks, not necessarily those who are of average or less than average good looks.

Still, there's always a chance that after you exchange 10 messages and the photos are revealed, you may not like what you see, and for some people, a day's worth of casual chit-chat probably won't change your attraction to the other individual.

I hesitate to say the app favors personality because little can truly be revealed in a chat based app with only a headline and not much else. And 10 or so messages don't exactly reveal a lot about a person's personality or other possible areas of compatibility/incompatibility. If I were single, this wouldn't be my M.O., but neither is Tinder and the like. This is definitely marketed toward a younger demographic.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:11 AM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
I could see good looking guys coming in and cleaning up on there especially with women who aren't bad looking just have low self esteem

Old 09-02-2017, 09:51 AM

426 posts, read 351,477 times
That's crazy lol and what in the hell is a name like taffy. That reminds me of that candy laffy taffy. 😂

I think anyone can seem attractive or unattractive it doesn't matter how hot the person might seem to others. For example most women go crazy for a guy like Channing Tatum but I am not really attracted to him.
If they had an app that said only for hot people believe me not everyone would be "hot" either. Some people can be so full of themselves and think they are the s*** but they could be far from it. There's know reason apps should be created for only a certain group of people I wouldn't see that working out well.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:18 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,541,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
I honestly think this is a ridiculous app....I mean, what's the point in them blurring out the person's face? So you can "kind of see" what they look like before you start exchanging messages with them? This same process can be achieved by going on a regular dating site and NOT showing your photo OR you can "blur" your own photo and then post it on the dating site so people can "kind of" see what you look like.
I am excited. I have a particular problem... when I am confronted with 5000 men, I start finding them all looking alike and un attractive. Also doesn't help they don't know how to get their photo. I find that I am more likely to be attracted to someone that I can see -- for who they are... and then, when revealed. I literally cannot see them as unattractive.

While the other way.. if I form a view of them from their photo, I have a hard time shaking that view from talking to them.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:20 AM

1,265 posts, read 970,579 times
Great, now whose gonna come on here and whine they cant get date. Its the end of this forum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships