Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:14 AM

5 posts, read 3,890 times

Advertisements

Okay, I need to air this out somehow someway and I can't talk to anyone close to me because they'll judge the situation to harshly (there's a story for that too-_-)

I have a boyfriend. We actually have a lot of history, he was my first 'boyfriend/crush' back in grade school, but then I moved to another part of the city, we lost touch. 7 years and we're rekindling again. We started talking in the beginning of July and made it official right before he went to jail (violation of probation--nothing serious). He didn't stay in long, but while he was there we really got to know one another and it was actually really great.

Now that he's out, he's working a lot, and he has two children from previous relationships. I understand, that's all fine and dandy but I can't help the feeling that he doesn't care about me like he said he did when he was away.

For one, his car stopped working--no biggie life happens, been there--but he'll make promises like "i'm going to see you after work" but not establish the how part in that. I mean he has no car, so when he says things like that, I'm under the assumption that he has a ride to see me (he works second shift and I work an 8-5, so we don't have time to hang until late at night, but I'm too tired around this time to be flying around the city).

Or worse yet, when he's off, and I'm off--say a weekend--he'll say come see me. I drive over, let him know I'm either there or on my way, but then when I get there it's always something came up and he didn't let me know before I got there. **** like "Oh, I was having issues with my bm" or "I had to take my son here and such".

Excuses. I feel like people make time for the things they want to make time for, and as his girlfriend, I would hope to be one.

I bring this up (passive aggressively, of course) and he always says I'm being a cry baby, but am I really? Am I a bad girlfriend for wanting to spend time with him? I let my emotions boil over and then I start doing irrational ****, which makes me seem crazy but honestly it's just residual resentment.

How can I really get through to him? More communication? Should we make actual solid plans, instead of relying on touch and go meetups? Should I let the relationship go? Is he too prideful to admit that he's jealous? --woah, I know random but part of me also feels like he's being this way because I'm doing better (financially) than him...he's so focused on working and making money.

Help. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 07:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I think this man has a lot on his plate and his kids (who he didn't even bother giving a stable family to) should take every bit of priority over you and everything else.

Find someone else.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
To answer your question, you aren't a "bad GF" for wanting to see your boyfriend. You're a bad GF for doing stuff like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW2020 View Post

I bring this up (passive aggressively, of course)

I let my emotions boil over and then I start doing irrational ****, which makes me seem crazy but honestly it's just residual resentment.
But he's no catch. I love how you gloss over "probation violation" since that means he has priors lol.

Yes, you should break up.

Until then, please use reliable birth control.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:20 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
He's fresh out of jail.
Two kids.
A job.
No car.

This behavior is unlikely to change in my eyes. His kids will always be more important. If you can't deal with it, you might need to move on and find someone who is in a better situation.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:22 AM

Right, lol. I don't mind that he's all about his kids, but I know he's lying because then I see him on social media doing all kinds of other things that have nothing to do with his kids. One of the main reasons I liked him was because he came off as a responsible adult. I see your point, I don't make it better but it probably isn't meant to be. Thanks

Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Not forgetting all of the other problems/deal breakers this guy has, but any boyfriend or girlfriend that responds to a legitimate complaint with name calling (cry baby) is not worth it. That's not how mature adults react--ignoring the complaint and blaming it on some "flaw" with the other person.

Any person that is jailed for a probation violation is not a responsible adult. Any person that has 2 kids from 2 previous relationships is questionable.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:45 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,460 times
You already know he's not worth the effort so why not break it off now? It's not like he's a real gem or for that matter anything close to resembling a responsible adult so why keep trying? He ain't worth it.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,592 posts, read 17,927,273 times
JW, as you write this down here, is it making you aware of how inappropriate he is for a relationship?

He had a brief moment before being jailed where he seemed to care a lot.

Now he doesn't. Also, he's a loser.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:57 AM

Yeah, I just really wanted it to work. Tough pill but I'll find better I guess.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,592 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I'm curious, JW, why you so wanted that to work. If I were falling for a guy who has a felony conviction, is on probation, has two kids and no car, I'd be trying hard to suppress my feelings for him and trying to focus on getting over him. I wouldn't be really wanting it to work.

Why do you want this guy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships