Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 10:56 PM

115 posts, read 91,926 times

Advertisements

OP, I work in the IT field. I should be the one asking for tips and getting make fun of instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 10:53 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I dated a guy who was specializing in nursing in the Army, and spent plenty of tours in Iraq. He was going to get his schooling to become a nurse afterwards. He was in no way less manly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-11-2017, 11:43 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Male nurses, teachers and/or social workers are not that uncommon, I can't believe that women are going to hold that against you.
You would be surprised, then. I work in social services and men and women both make assumptions about men in this field. I think when wanting to date one of those women, her assumptions are at least a small hurdle you have to overcome. I personally keep my feet on the ground so eff hurdles, but some men I work with feel a little anxious about eliminating anyone as a potential partner and seem willing to jump.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:55 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
You would be surprised, then. I work in social services and men and women both make assumptions about men in this field. I think when wanting to date one of those women, her assumptions are at least a small hurdle you have to overcome. I personally keep my feet on the ground so eff hurdles, but some men I work with feel a little anxious about eliminating anyone as a potential partner and seem willing to jump.
I can understand there could be hindrances, but would view it as a good screening method for those one may not want to date anyway. People who stereotype as lazy thinkers (IMO) and best get them out of the way from the get go.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-11-2017, 01:59 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I bet a single person wouldn't look down on a guy like Desmond Doss for being a "medic" and refusing to carry a weapon. He was probably one of the bravest guys in a generation and he was basically a nurse.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:52 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I wouldn't try to be attractive to the women I work with. I'm there do my job not get a date.

Gosh...has everyone forgotten what it was like to be a certain age, and checking out EVERYONE? Work was a GREAT place to meet the opposite sex, and friends had friends, etc.

For me, when I was that age, I figured out that women were attracted to, or noticed what they weren't used to.

I worked in a professional environment, so all the guys wore shirts and ties. Now...guys are guys, and I surely noticed, but yeah...some guy comes in to do some painting, wearing painters pants and a tight tshirt? Oh my my! What's THIS new diversion? LOL

I would guess if someone is used to seeing guys in nice tuxes every day, you get used to it, and appreciate the different look from time to time.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:08 PM

358 posts, read 208,064 times
How attractive you are to women, has nothing to do with what field you work in. Yes, being a great provider plays a role but it really doesn't matter what you do, as long as you are proud and passionate about what it is that you do. I wish people stopped giving the "just be yourself" advice. Obviously someone asking for it, has been themselves their whole life and more than likely that hasn't gotten them anywhere. Maybe, "be your best self" is a better phrase.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:09 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I bet a single person wouldn't look down on a guy like Desmond Doss for being a "medic" and refusing to carry a weapon. He was probably one of the bravest guys in a generation and he was basically a nurse.
I had an uncle who was drafted during the Vietnam War. He responded to the draft by saying he was a Buddhist, so he wouldn't carry a weapon, but he would serve. They made him a medic. He earned a couple of medals for bravery, in spite of not carrying a weapon. Never had any problem with the ladies, after serving. Got married, had kids, lived a good life, but died before his time, around 60 years old, unfortunately.

I wonder if the OP's concern is mainly theoretical. Has he suddenly started having trouble socially, due to a career choice? Or have other guys been giving him a hard time? Plenty of male nurses and teachers have no trouble finding a partner and having a family...

Old 09-11-2017, 10:27 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Gosh...has everyone forgotten what it was like to be a certain age, and checking out EVERYONE? Work was a GREAT place to meet the opposite sex, and friends had friends, etc.

For me, when I was that age, I figured out that women were attracted to, or noticed what they weren't used to.

I worked in a professional environment, so all the guys wore shirts and ties. Now...guys are guys, and I surely noticed, but yeah...some guy comes in to do some painting, wearing painters pants and a tight tshirt? Oh my my! What's THIS new diversion? LOL

I would guess if someone is used to seeing guys in nice tuxes every day, you get used to it, and appreciate the different look from time to time.
No woman is worth my job and no I don't check them out either when I'm working. When we interact it's usually about work and nothing more. I am a full believer of never mixing business with pleasure, ever.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:40 AM

12,822 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdifferentseasons View Post
Hi,

Generally speaking, men who work in male dominated fields (construction, finance) are seen as attractive to women. These are seen as masculine careers, and usually pay pretty well. I'm making more of a general statement, not an absolute one.

My question, for guys who work in female dominated fields (such as, nursing, social services, teaching), any tips on how to be more attractive to females. Typically, these fields excluding nursing do not pay as well as the above careers, and may view the guy as less masculine compared to if he worked in a career such as, construction.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Just be yourself
More or less this.

I work in Communications/PR for the Mental Health field (largely dominated by women). I don't see any disadvantage to working in this field vs. Construction, Finance, etc. For starters, the money is definitely better than construction for most people above the entry level (though few fields are more lucrative than finance- at least at the higher tiers). So that's not an issue mostly. I just think that generally speaking, it doesn't matter if you are just yourself and you're happy with what you do.

There are always going to be women who are aiming for the finance guys or other top-level executives. There are always going to be the women who want the "manly" construction worker or laborer type. You probably won't ever win one of those women over regardless. But if you're employed in a respectable profession, you'll probably do just fine even if it's not as lucrative as finance or "manly" as construction. Just be happy/confident about your career and be yourself.

Also, working in a female dominated field has its perks. Namely, you work with a lot of women- all of whom have a career path in common with you. That's a big plus on the dating front. Interacting with women frequently on a professional level also helps with communication and establishing relationships outside of work too. Because I'm in PR/Comms., I'm at almost every conference and event related to our field. They're almost always 75-80% women. It could not be easier to meet women because of the fact that we have work in common. Worst case scenario, you have a professional conversation with a peer. Nothing wrong with that. But there's the potential for more in many cases. If you work in healthcare, social services, teaching, etc. go to conferences. Worst case you end up doing some serious networking to boost your professional career. They're great places to meet someone too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships