Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 06:34 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

So we're told. How can we verify any of this? It comes down to who you trust. I don't trust the official story on global warming. Ever notice how centralization of power is proposed as the solution to every problem in the world (including, but not limited to global warming)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 07:08 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I wonder why people are in denial of scientific facts?

Just one child can produce 20 times more greenhouse gas than a person will save by driving a high-mileage car, recycling, using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, etc.

Reproduction and the carbon legacies of individuals

HUMAN POPULATION GROWTH AND CLIMATE CHANGE
I don't know, it's not fun and yes it's true ignorance is bliss. It's not always fun being so conscientious!

Old 09-16-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
So we're told. How can we verify any of this? It comes down to who you trust. I don't trust the official story on global warming. Ever notice how centralization of power is proposed as the solution to every problem in the world (including, but not limited to global warming)?
It isn't just about global warming. Like I said over population is about soul sucking nightmare traffic jams, not being able to see the milky way at night, only being able to see wildlife at the zoo because their natural habitats are being destroyed, not being able to swim in many rivers and lakes, etc.....

Old 09-16-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
You're not "better" just more "conscientious". LOL. Yeah, nice word change there....but you still think you're superior and that your way is best. Most of us are at least a little bit that way. But at least own it.
No being more conscientious doesn't make me superior, it makes me just what the word means, more conscientious. The majority of people don't see or understand the big picture, and are living in their own little bubbles of fairy tale religions and communities and ignore all the destruction and bad things about our human society.............. Nationalism is no better. Who cares if Japan dumps radio active nuclear waste in their seas or pollutes their air to the point they need air masks to breathe right? Well the earth is really not that big and what they do effects us and vice versa....

Old 09-16-2017, 11:54 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If someone doesn't want children, they should not foster, adopt or anything else. It's not fair to the child. OP and his wife love their money and free time. It should remain that way.
Yes, I just meant people sometimes might change their mind after it is maybe beyond prime timing for them to have biological children. Also, some couples may do better fostering children who are already out of infancy or toddlerhood. It was just a thought.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:38 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
It comes down to who you trust.
No it comes down to being able to understand data. Heck it really comes down to taking a good look around our planet...the effects of climate change are well documented for the past 25 years...this is nothing new and the predictions made by scientists are unfolding just as predicted.
Quote:
I don't trust the official story on global warming.
I don't know of any official story. However there are multiple independent labs all over this world that have collect climate change data and it's no coincidence that they are all getting the same results.

I posted a very good educational website link in the Science forum. It's a great course for those who really don't understand what climate change is. It's a 6 week course offered by the University of Queensland.

I find it refreshing to hear people like the OP actually thinking this through and deciding not to have kids...the world does not need more people. Human activity is destroying ecosystems which destroys lives.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Just curious - do a majority of young couples feel guilty if they don't want kids?
I wonder why they would feel guilty?
Quote:
I'm older but always knew I didn't want them and never had regrets.
Same here...I knew at a very young age that I never wanted to live that lifestyle and have never felt any regrets. There is nothing to regret about knowing what you want and making a wise choice for yourself.
Quote:
These days I wouldn't think it's a big deal but, maybe young folks still feel guilty if they make that decision?
Again, I can't think of any reason why young folks would feel guilty for making the choice to be childless.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:20 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I think that given the reality that the majority of people do end up having kids means it's reasonable for most people to assume that if they have kids, they will eventually become a grandparent. Maybe some people don't care either way but the majority of people I know adore their grandkids and believe in the says that "grandchildren are your reward for having kids." None of that means that they are entitled to demand their children reproduce, or to be rude in asking about it, but I also think that if an adult child has made a choice to not become a parent, it's reasonable to convey that information to their own parent rather than letting them think that grandkids will be coming along at some point. And yes, it's also reasonable that the parent might feel a loss and need to grieve the fact that they won't ever become a grandparent.

Some of the rest of this thread has gone a bit to the extreme side. No one in a Western developed country is more conscientious for not having kids - these places are already experiencing negative population growth. I mean, sure, don't have kids if you don't want to be a parent, but don't delude yourself that you are saving the planet by doing so.

And besides, if everyone stopped having kids, that doesn't do much for our future as a planet. My kid and other people's kids are going to be the ones who cure cancer and colonize Mars and solve world hunger and pollution, not to mention being the doctors and nurses and firefighters and cops who continue to protect and care for everyone including those who haven't created new humans to help keep society going.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think that given the reality that the majority of people do end up having kids means it's reasonable for most people to assume that if they have kids, they will eventually become a grandparent. Maybe some people don't care either way but the majority of people I know adore their grandkids and believe in the says that "grandchildren are your reward for having kids."
That's a really silly reason to have kids. Grand kids are a fleeting experience...once the grand kid becomes a teen most don't care to hang out with granny and grandpa.
Quote:
I mean, sure, don't have kids if you don't want to be a parent, but don't delude yourself that you are saving the planet by doing so.
I don't think anyone has said they are saving the planet by not having kids. However those who chose to be childless are certainly not contributing to the problem.
Quote:
And besides, if everyone stopped having kids, that doesn't do much for our future as a planet. My kid and other people's kids are going to be the ones who cure cancer and colonize Mars and solve world hunger and pollution, not to mention being the doctors and nurses and firefighters and cops who continue to protect and care for everyone including those who haven't created new humans to help keep society going.
I don't recall anyone suggesting that everyone should stop having kids.

People really need to understand what carrying capacity means. At the rate we are going is not sustainable. Human overpopulation has already left it's mark on many ecosystems. 100's of species have gone extinct due to it and 100's more are on the verge of going extinct because of it. Human overpopulation will never cease and the effects are not pretty.

I am thankful that I am not a newborn in this world today...I can't imagine what life will be for a newborn 40-60 years from now.

Carrying Capacity

Old 09-16-2017, 03:18 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
It's ok to not want children.
Even after you just had your first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships