Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 06:42 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,753,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Your "opinion" is ludicrous when you're making ignorant and illogical assertions. If you don't like having them challenged, don't share 'em.
Touched a nerve, did I?

Ever wonder why Hillary Clinton or any other prominent woman does not mutilate herself? Because even less people would take her seriously. Hillary Clinton does nothing without polls and focus groups. If she thought mutilating herself would get her into the White House, Clinton would look like Uma Therman in Pulp Fiction.

My opinion is definitely more popular than yours. Not that it makes any difference to me, though, but I'm sure it'll hit another nerve with you. Good luck moving up in life while looking like a freak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 06:44 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,753,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In 1975, sure. Tattoos labeled you as low socioeconomic class. In 2017, tattoos are a lot more mainstream. You're still going to bump into job/hiring barriers if you have them just like speaking a working class dialect or speaking & writing with poor grammar. It shouldn't matter but those first impressions can certainly get you flushed on a job interview unless you're off-the-charts talented.
Thank you!!!

Old 09-24-2017, 07:23 AM

1,199 posts, read 728,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
I'm 61, and I'm sorry, I find extensive tattoos on women more like graffitti than anything attractive. On legs, arms, neck, chest, etc. They can be portraits, the Declaration of Independence, skulls, you name it. I don't understand the need to presumably and permanently deface skin like this. Small, discreet tattoos I can understand, but sprawling inkmarks seem a risk if after a few years they are perhaps no longer as relevant a "statement" as before. Am I such a totally old dork thinking like this? Is it just a passing, generational thing? I hope so. I apologize to tattoo aficiandos, but that's how I feel.

Some graffiti is art bro. Like Banksy

Old 09-24-2017, 07:24 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,848,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Dating is being judgmental based on what you find attractive or not... everyone is entitled to that.

Beyond what you find attractive or would consider dating material, treating people in an unequal manner or holding something as superficial as tattoos against them IS being judgmental and certainly a reflection of your own character.
Very good. Being judgemental is a reflection of ones own character. I think that's mostly what happy people pick partners, employees, friends, etcetera based on: character.

Who wants to be around somebody who's talking about how "gross" they think someone is, or that they've mutilated themselves, and they're "damaged". The definition of judgemental, when more neutral adjectives are available.

I get a completely different sense being around somebody who would use words like: altered, or decorated, or even different...these adjectives carry no negativity.

I'd be getting up and leaving the room if I had to listen to such disrespectful comments. I certainly wouldn't hire them for a job with that kind of attitude. I prefer to be around people who are more of the Live and Let Live and actually live that, not just say it.

I don't have any tattoos but I was surrounded by people who did have tattoos working for a top 4 insurance giant as an analyst. Appearance has nothing to do with intellect, obviously.

Last edited by RbccL; 09-24-2017 at 08:29 AM..

Old 09-24-2017, 08:21 AM

15,054 posts, read 10,056,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Touched a nerve, did I?

Ever wonder why Hillary Clinton or any other prominent woman does not mutilate herself? Because even less people would take her seriously. Hillary Clinton does nothing without polls and focus groups. If she thought mutilating herself would get her into the White House, Clinton would look like Uma Therman in Pulp Fiction.

My opinion is definitely more popular than yours. Not that it makes any difference to me, though, but I'm sure it'll hit another nerve with you. Good luck moving up in life while looking like a freak.
There is a significant population in this country that is of the generation(s) that still harbor the stigma of tattoos. These people are still in positions to hire and influence a person's life. In other job markets, it isn't such a big deal. Younger companies with younger executives tend to not care.... or companies that are targeting a younger demographic for hire.

I posted earlier statistics that have shown that how people view tattoos is changing... especially among women. These things are a social construct and do change with time.

Let's take another example that has long been past....

There was a time that a prominent politician of working professional wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of blue jeans or chambray shirts. It was the "uniform" of a manual laborer and designed to withstand with its durability. Hence the name "blue-collar" originated from. Today, people of all demographics now wear jeans.. yes.. including prominent figures in society. They are a fashion item that no longer carries the stigma of "manual labor"... hence no longer consider "low-class".

And to bring this back to your comment about politicians. There are quite a number of politicians (congressional included) that have tattoos. Yeh... they are discreet about them.... but its really just a sign of the times. Certainly those that put them into office did so for other reasons beyond simply having a tattoo.

From my view, we are still a relatively close minded society that is readily looking for reasons to "classify" (and judge) people at first notice. Those that live among us have to choose our comfortable balance between personal individuality and society... it is what it is. Others (like a few of my friends) are comfortable living and working among the part of society that accepts them.... and that's their choice too.

As Rbccl said "I prefer to be around people who are more of the Live and Let Live and actually live that, not just say it." That is my preference as well.

Last edited by usayit; 09-24-2017 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-24-2017, 08:24 AM

1,199 posts, read 728,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Touched a nerve, did I?

Meh. Your opinion is an aging one that seems to have begun being phased out. I don't even have a tat.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:30 AM

310 posts, read 201,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
Some graffiti is art bro. Like Banksy

Agreed, but too bad there aren't more Banksys.

Last edited by westegg; 09-24-2017 at 09:40 AM..

Old 09-24-2017, 09:45 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,326,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
Agreed, but for every Banksy there's ugly graffitti that deface property. Not good.
Early 80s I did some graffiti in Tulsa for a bit. I did decent work...tag name was koala. Wow, hadn't thought of that in years...another life.

Anyway, I only worked on abandoned, pre-tagged buildings or train cars, condemned properties.

I know technically it was still vandalism, but I thought I was being considerate about it. Never anything overtly obscene or offensive (in fact I used to cover over more offensive graffiti with my own tag) never on a wall or other surface that didn't already have some paint, and never to deface a home or business.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:54 AM

34,183 posts, read 18,507,612 times
It is a generational thing. I am 58, so to me tattoos were exclusively for guys in motorcycle gangs, or lower class people. Today, they are very common with younger folks. The Planet Fitness gym where I work out has a lot of younger people that go there, and many if not most have tattoos. Sometimes they are extensive, "sleeves" down both arms, and the ubiquitous "Tramp Stamp", etc. I don't find it attractive, but that is due to my age, and how I was raised. It would not be a deal breaker for me though if a woman I dated had tattoos. Again, today it is so common it doesn't have the stigma previously attached.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 AM

310 posts, read 201,987 times
I like that concept, "considerate vandalism!"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships