Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 07:30 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
Nah, I'm just on a front porch sipping another bottle of Snapple.

I'm astounded how this topic has blossomed into so many responses. I should offer another grumpy rant such as my objection to people who wear silly caps to cover their baldness. Wait, that's me!

LOL, I picture Forrest Gump talking about "Sweet Tea" when you mention the front porch. LOL.

Yeah, this subject comes up every so often and it can get a little bit spirited at times. I'm not sure why people get so hot about tats. I've been posting throughout this thread that they are pretty common these days, of course that may be because I live in the So Cal area and there are lots and lots of people here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 07:37 PM

310 posts, read 202,839 times
I'm the type that doesn't even wear a watch--I have no urge to adorn myself in any manner, but that's me. That's why I'm intrigued by those who take it to a whole other level of self expression.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:40 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You are taking this far far too personally.
And yet again you're making assumptions about how I take this. I'm addressing and challenging the points made in this thread. Don't mistake that for "being so sensitive."

Quote:
I think tats are trite and sorta done, whatever. If you bother to read my posts here I've actually defended people who get tats when rude and uncalled for comments were made, but whatever, my comment about the banality of tats stuck out in your mind. Did you not see the far worse and mean spirited comments people have made here???
It wasn't just that comment that I was responding to. I've followed your other comments. You've made others. In response to Zen:

Quote:
I think overall people should try to aim for a "professional" look as much as possible. People can have tats or some piercing but keep it discreet as much as possible.
And I get that you've been fairly neutral, which is why the above was unusual to read coming from you. You say it's no big deal, and mean no ill, but say people should aim for discreet and professional appearance, which, if it's no big deal, as you've said, why should "people" keep them discreet and aim for a professional look? Unless I misunderstood you or you're addressing a different context. Like a boardroom meeting, or just in general.

Quote:
Whatever, I'm bored talking about it and I'm sure others are bored reading it. I know when two people go back and forth it becomes a major borefest. So I'll bow out and you can hit me with another zinger if you care to.
What!? This is one of the most exciting non-zombie threads we've had lately. If not this, it will be about the sad, disgruntled single men that sulk in the corner because they can't get dates with females, or something.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:40 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
How could one know what impression they've left if it's not brought to their attention, and who actually spends their time wondering how random people perceive them?

Are you saying the dealer or court personnel would walk up to someone with brightly colored hair or this or that cosmetic work and tell them they've made a grave mistake? Yeah. Doesn't happen. Most people who aren't all up in everyone's business move through life not paying much attention to the doings and happenings of random people.

And once again, you ignore the issue of region and culture influencing people's perceptions. You claim it's more of an issue than it actually is, in such places where it just isn't.

So...that doesn't include a cocktail dress? And here I was beginning to think there was some other way professionals of all stripes are supposed to present themselves in their place of work. So, not in a cocktail dress baring full sleeves. That's not middle-upper management meeting attire. The more you know!

Pointless anecdote is pointless. Men who sport long locks, tattooed rebels, etc., hang in rough circles, like strong drink and drive while intoxicated.

Maybe that's what I'm missing to complete my Tatted Rebel image. A rough band of misfits and rebels, a motorcycle, a leather jacket, and a pack of cigs.

A minivan just doesn't cut it.
You'd know if someone doesn't take you seriously because of the way they treat you.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:41 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
I'm the type that doesn't even wear a watch--I have no urge to adorn myself in any manner, but that's me. That's why I'm intrigued by those who take it to a whole other level.
I'm not a big jewelry/watch guy myself. I have to work with electricity at times for my job so that sorta just cemented my no jewelry deal.

We recently celebrated our 25th "anniversary" so for that we went and both picked out some nice silver jewelry for the occasion. I got a ring and she got a couple of necklaces. I wear the ring sometimes and it's taking some time to get used to wearing it. But I keep trying....

Old 09-24-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I'm the type that doesn't even wear a watch--I have no urge to adorn myself in any manner, but that's me. That's why I'm intrigued by those who take it to a whole other level of self expression.
I mean, you could always ask them if you're curious.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:48 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Nah, I'm just on a front porch sipping another bottle of Snapple.

I'm astounded how this topic has blossomed into so many responses. I should offer another grumpy rant such as my objection to people who wear silly caps to cover their baldness. Wait, that's me!

I have to ask the motivation for starting a thread on something random that irritates you. If I did that I would bomb the forum.....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-24-2017, 07:49 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
I would think "intrigued" is different from "doesn't like."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-24-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
You'd know if someone doesn't take you seriously because of the way they treat you.
And yet, I've never been treated in such a way that would make me think an individual didn't take me seriously. No one has vomited in disgust, acted overly pious, rolled their eyes, refused service, or dismissed me with a wave of the hand. And no "bless her heart." I'm sure many others share a similar experience.

But maybe you're talking about visible tattoos in business attire.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:56 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
California must be very different from Long Island, NY then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships