Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:52 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

OP is either into younger women or hippies/artists. Average women 50+ are not tatted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 10:54 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
I think your age could be a factor. In my completely unscientific example, someone very close to me who just turned your exact age, says the same thing almost verbatim. He doesn't like tattoos on women & feels they look dirty, particularly anything extensive. He has the same caveat as you though, that a one very small tattoo, doesn't bother him (the old heart on an ankle or breast type tattoo). Lucky for him, I don't have any tattoos.

I'm 10 years younger & they don't bother me at all, on men or women, as long as it's not on the face or neck - just my preference. I do think age plays a part, as I grew up in the 70's & 80's when tattoos were starting to become quite common, he did not.
Generation, culture, religion, and region play a significant role in how tattoos are perceived. My not-so orthodox relatives from So Cal, in their 50s and early 60s, don't think much about tattoos. Some of their kids have them. My mother has a couple that she got in her 40s. She's non-religious and was born and raised in So Cal and has lived in progressive cities all her life.

My in-laws were raised in very religious households that associated tattoos with worldliness and ungodly secular behavior, and military service. But my FIL, in his early 70s, has a small one he did himself way, way back. I know they were none too pleased when SIL got her first tattoo, which is pretty discreet and small, but their perceptions based on their upbringing was that it would be difficult to get a job. I mean, she's a PhD candidate in neuroscience, so I guess her two tattoos haven't been so detrimental.

I have a whole bunch and plans for many more. They've never been an issue.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:10 AM

310 posts, read 202,839 times
Been interesting taking in these various views.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:13 AM

9 posts, read 8,366 times
I think tattoos are attractive in a lustful sort of way. Girls with tattoos - especially garage tattoos (instead of artful, well-thought out tattoos) always induce a sort of immediate, sexualized response from me. But it makes me question their judgement. So in terms of a long-term attraction, it's a turn off for me. Excessive tattoos are a deal breaker.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:16 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Tattoos are gross and ugly on anyone. I see a person with tattoos and a lower class of people as one and the same.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:18 AM

"Excessive" is the word here, especially if it's a patchwork frenzy. Some look far more thoughtfully planned out and designy as an overall effect. Still not my cup of tea, but true artistry can go a long way in making it worth the ostensible lifetime investment.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:01 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
"Excessive" is the word here, especially if it's a patchwork frenzy. Some look far more thoughtfully planned out and designy as an overall effect. Still not my cup of tea, but true artistry can go a long way in making it worth the ostensible lifetime investment.
How often does this issue arise for you IRL? In your search for a partner?

Old 09-23-2017, 12:24 PM

Just casually, in observing the populus.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:28 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Tattoos are gross and ugly on anyone. I see a person with tattoos and a lower class of people as one and the same.
I wish you would quit beating around the bush and just say how you feel.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
OP is either into younger women or hippies/artists. Average women 50+ are not tatted.
Yes they are and some quite extensively.
Your assumption is just that and assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships