Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:40 PM

1,178 posts, read 685,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
It just doesn't seem you two are compatible. This post I'm quoting just speaks volumes to me.

If anything materialized out of this with you and him, I'd be very shocked, lol.
I'm not asking if we are a good match, I'm just asking if these little flags are adding up. I'm trying to discern if my intuition is on pointe, or if I am overanalyzing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 08:42 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
I'm not asking if we are a good match, I'm just asking if these little flags are adding up. I'm trying to discern if my intuition is on pointe, or if I am overanalyzing.
While he might be trying to slightly manipulate you, I just think he's very awkward, lol.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, when you spell it out, it sounds like he may want you to be exclusive with him, because he's concerned about how far you're going with any of the other guys. But you've explained to him that this is your dating style--to take things slowly, while getting to know the guys. So he should trust that if you decide you're really hitting it off with someone, and they're dependable and into you, that you would call off the dating with everyone else, before diving into the deep end with your preferred guy. But he's not comfortable with trusting that.

Have any of the other guys mentioned exclusivity?
Yes, one, after about six dates. He is longish distance (2 hrs) and I said I wanted more face to face time and more frequently to really assess (we were averaging about once a month in person). He happily agreed and also said he felt I was being entirely reasonable. He has not put pressure on me the same way, in fact he hasnt mentioned it again.
We have been out a few more times sinceI then. I am going to be meeting his mom this upcoming weekend and I expect the pace to pick up with him as he is moving closer to me (not for me--for his job--but now we will only be about forty minutes apart).

I'm considering him for a relationship and feel that, if I meet his mom, see their relationship, and all that checks out, I might seriously consider it. But we have talked about most of the big things and I have grown more comfortable, not less. He's asked me a lot more questions than science guy.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:48 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
I'm not waiting for him to be someone he isnt. I'm trying to discern if the signals he is sending are signals that indicate a pattern of red flags indicating controlling or abusive behavior, or if I am over analyzing. Basically if I am overreacting or not. .
I think you need to discuss with your therapist your inability to trust your own judgment. That's worrisome. I can see why you'd think you could be overreacting, but you've listed here quite a few incidents. And you're asking us if they're all insignificant, and you're misinterpreting? IDK, it seems that the sheer number of small (as well as at least one big) issues would speak for itself. At the very least, even if it doesn't mean he might be a potential abuser or controller, I think at this point it's pretty clear you two aren't compatible. You're not clicking, after 2 months of giving it a good try.

Again, how long do you want to drag out this painful process? It seems to be raising more questions for you, the longer it goes on, rather than resolving your concerns, and settling into a nice, comfortable thing. That, on its own, is significant. It's not something you can sweep under the rug.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:51 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
This is one reason I like to take some time. These things don't show patterns unless you have been dating long enough for them to repeat themselves. I prefer this happens before being exclusive, not after.
I wouldn't wait to assess a pattern of orange or red flags. The avocado nonsense would have put me off immediately and wouldn't have bothered with another date, and same for the insistence on keeping interactions and the 'getting to know you' phase of dating surface-level. His pushy and odd behavior, coupled with everything else, would signal a nonstarter.

Quote:
I'm not waiting for him to be someone he isnt. I'm trying to discern if the signals he is sending are signals that indicate a pattern of red flags indicating controlling or abusive behavior, or if I am over analyzing. Basically if I am overreacting or not. I really didn't like the insuinuation that he didnt trust "what i was doing" when not with me. First. Im not actually obligated to tell him anything unless he asks--and he already knows I am going out with others--and second, it implies that he doesn't find me trustworthy OR can be a red flag of abusive behavior, neither is good.
His behavior is off-putting. That's enough to determine it's a failed endeavor.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I think you need to discuss with your therapist your inability to trust your own judgment. That's worrisome.
Yep.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I wouldn't wait to assess a pattern of orange or red flags. The avocado nonsense would have put me off immediately and wouldn't have bothered with another date, and same for the insistence on keeping interactions and the 'getting to know you' phase of dating surface-level. His pushy and odd behavior, coupled with everything else, would signal a nonstarter.

For me, one or two things like that could just be 'odd'or awkward. The guy is incredibly smart, and is also an INTJ. They can be blunt people. So once or twice won't necessarily non-start since I know everyone comes with their quirks. But now I'm seeing more and starting to wonder if it's a problem of control.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

This. OP, a lot of women wouldn't have continued dating for weeks, and now--months. The fact that you've continued it this far most likely relates to your confusion about trusting your feelings. It's a symptom of your lack of trust in your gut reactions, due to past experience with an ex.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
This. OP, a lot of women wouldn't have continued dating for weeks, and now--months. The fact that you've continued it this far most likely relates to your confusion about trusting your feelings. It's a symptom of your lack of trust in your gut reactions, due to past experience with an ex.
Good point. Though my at minimum to assess anyone is four dates. To see how consistent they are. But perhaps I should trust myself more too.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
For me, one or two things like that could just be 'odd'or awkward. The guy is incredibly smart, and is also an INTJ. They can be blunt people. So once or twice won't necessarily non-start since I know everyone comes with their quirks. But now I'm seeing more and starting to wonder if it's a problem of control.
Refusing to share personal info with someone he's dating is not a "quirk". It's a deal-breaker. Or should be.

Refusing to buy a little side dish of avocado slices for one's date, when one is only splitting a main dish anyway, is not due to being an INTJ, or "awkward", or any other excuse you can come up with to dismiss red flags. It's being a jerk. He can afford the $1 side dish. He's simply unconcerned about making a good impression on you, and unconcerned with your enjoyment of the food/evening/his company. This could be his passive-aggressive way of taking out on you the fact that you haven't agreed to be exclusive with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships