Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 05:31 PM

145 posts, read 203,809 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend gave me an ultimatum.

I had a female friend whom lived with me for a year, and is a bit mentally ill. We were not sexual, although she did want to be sexual. Now she lives in another state and we communicate daily. I care a lot for her.

Now, my current girlfriend doesn't want me speaking to her at all. Is this right for her to ask of me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 05:37 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,921,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumbed View Post
My girlfriend gave me an ultimatum.

I had a female friend whom lived with me for a year, and is a bit mentally ill. We were not sexual, although she did want to be sexual. Now she lives in another state and we communicate daily. I care a lot for her.

Now, my current girlfriend doesn't want me speaking to her at all. Is this right for her to ask of me?
Why would you care if it is right or wrong?
I it doesn't matter one iota if it is right or wrong.

What matters, is that your GF has an issue with it.

Nothing good can come from arguing with you GF about whether it is right or wrong.

You can either
1) accept it - and be unhappy
2) not accept it - and she'll be unhappy

or, do the really hard thing and explore her psychology and the status of your relationship and come to a mutual conclusion of what is best.

Good luck

Old 09-29-2017, 05:39 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
How long have you been dating your GF? How long are your daily conversations? How does your GF know you talk to her daily?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-29-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
How long have you been dating your GF? How long are your daily conversations? How does your GF know you talk to her daily?

We have been dating for 3 months.

My conversations with my friend are up to 15 minutes or so, some texting as well. My old friend calls me when she is around.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:09 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I think she is being unreasonable, that's your friend.

She may not be your GF for too long though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-29-2017, 06:11 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Your girlfriend has a right to be upset. Daily communication seems to me is excessive. I know I would be upset with that.

You need to evaulate who you care for the most, and proceed accordingly.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:12 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think she is being unreasonable, that's your friend.

She may not be your GF for too long though.
Seriously.

For me, it'd be a red flag if my g/f wanted me to stop talking to any long-time friend of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Your girlfriend has a right to be upset. Daily communication seems to me is excessive. I know I would be upset with that.

This I do agree with, though.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:18 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,798 times
My take on this is, if your girlfriend gets upset over talking to a long distance friend that you’ve known longer than her, then she’s very insecure. You could break things off with your friend, but I would bet money your girlfriend would find something else to be insecure about.

You have to decide who is more important to you and if you are going to be willing to make changes based on your girlfriend’s insecurities.

In your shoes, if I decided my friend had priority, I would say that my friend has been my friend longer than you’ve been in my life. I’m not throwing away friends because of your insecurities. Tell me what it is about my friendship that really bothers you and I will listen and do what I can to make you feel better. But I draw the line at getting rid of a friend.

Then let your girlfriend decide what she wants to do. Keep in mind, you might lose her.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:19 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Indeed. I understand how the girlfriend feels, but I also understand you, especially if you have only been dating for three months.

Do you think the girlfriend would soon "disallow" you from seeing other female friends as well, if you gave in on this one?

I think it is wrong and immature to give ultimatums this way -- that is, IF she didn't try to address it another way. Did she just outright give the ultimatum or did you ignore her when she wanted to talk to you before?

Old 09-29-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Indeed. I understand how the girlfriend feels, but I also understand you, especially if you have only been dating for three months.

Do you think the girlfriend would soon "disallow" you from seeing other female friends as well, if you gave in on this one?

I think it is wrong and immature to give ultimatums this way -- that is, IF she didn't try to address it another way. Did she just outright give the ultimatum or did you ignore her when she wanted to talk to you before?
I never ignore my girlfriend, I listen to her concerns. To be fair, my old friend has jealousy issues that I think stem from her mental illness, and it has caused some turbulence in my current relationship with my girlfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships