Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long would you wait for the other party to say “I love you” back?
I would never say “I love you” first 6 50.00%
I would not wait for more than a week 1 8.33%
I would not wait for more than a month 0 0%
I would not wait for more than six months 2 16.67%
I would not wait over a year 0 0%
I would wait for more than a year 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:42 AM

242 posts, read 262,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'd never say it first. If a guy says it first, he loses any power in a relationship.
Are you serious? Do men really feel this way??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 06:53 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,026,960 times
Good grief. Just say it.

I mean, you guys all yap on and on about not finding anyone, yet you sit here and discuss this kind of nonsense. If you realize that you love someone, you simply say it. You don't play games. You simply summon up the nerve.

Of course, you don't say it two weeks in, for then you look like some kind of desperate stalker. But after several months? It's totally okay. And will, more often than not, be welcome. And if you're really talking about who has the power in a relationship, then you don't really understand relationships at all. This isn't chess.

Courage is the foundation of all happiness. If you can't summon the basic nerve to say I Love You to someone without worrying about reciprocity or whatever else, then you're not going to have love in your life.

In short, have some guts.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:03 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
Are you serious? Do men really feel this way??
Yes I'm serious and there are a LOT of men who have told me this very thing happened to them and from a logical standpoint it makes sense.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:05 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
I'm done with that kind of relationship, but I once told a guy that I loved him with no expectations of it being returned, and he didn't return the sentiment for six months. So I dumped him.

The thing was, he DID love me. When I broke up with him, he started to kind of hyperventilate and then thought he was going to throw up. I was shocked because I had taken him at his word when he'd said he didn't feel that way about me. It was so childish. For him, it was all about maintaining the power in the relationship. He was literally gaslighting me about whether he loved me or not, when he did in fact love me. Who does that? It's probably the stupidest thing I ever witnessed in a relationship. It was kind of a messy drawn-out break-up in the end, but his initial reaction to it stuck with me and eventually just left me disgusted with him. He was a very controlling guy, and I'm well rid of him.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:24 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,860,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Courage is the foundation of all happiness. If you can't summon the basic nerve to say I Love You to someone without worrying about reciprocity or whatever else, then you're not going to have love in your life.
Well said! If you've had love in your life, you know this to be true.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:28 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,321 times
Why set an arbitrary time limit on such a personal thing? Personally, I don't remember who said it first but then again that was 41 years ago and I can barely remember what I had for lunch yesterday. Seriously though why would you not say it and risk damaging a potential long term relationship? Is it some kind of ego thing?

Old 10-03-2017, 08:06 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
If a guy says it first, he loses any power in a relationship.
What??! No!!!!!

Old 10-03-2017, 08:10 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
I'd never say it first. If a guy says it first, he loses any power in a relationship.
HOw often did that happen to you?

Old 10-03-2017, 08:15 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
HOw often did that happen to you?
I'm irrevalant. This has been recurring advice from my male peers who have had it happen to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships