Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:30 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
You're not trying to understand. You just keep saying 'why'...you seem to lack fundamental understanding of what an actual discussion entails
An actual discussion doesn't involve asking people to explain something you understand?
okey dokes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 09:16 PM

926 posts, read 673,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
An actual discussion doesn't involve asking people to explain something you understand?
okey dokes
Yeah, but even when people actually EXPLAIN to you in DETAIL when they answer your questions, you STILL come back with "why?". I understand why Foggy has you iggied.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:37 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
Yeah, but even when people actually EXPLAIN to you in DETAIL when they answer your questions, you STILL come back with "why?". I understand why Foggy has you iggied.
You're delusional

Where did you answer the following questions?

Why do people sometimes just want to part with an ex forever?
Why would you not date a guy who's friends with his exes?
Why wouldn't someone want to be friends with someone want to be friends with an ex who wasn't hurtful towards them?

Old 10-05-2017, 10:56 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,232 times
Being friends with your ex, really only can work out only if BOTH parties no longer have any romantic feelings whatsoever for the other. If one of them still likes the other, wishes to be with the other, still would take back the other, it's not a good idea to be friends with them.

If both people have come to terms with it being over, for good, and are content with that, then go ahead and be friends.

Anything else, leave it alone, for good...

Old 10-05-2017, 11:04 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Quote:
You're delusional

Where did you answer the following questions?

Why do people sometimes just want to part with an ex forever?
Why would you not date a guy who's friends with his exes?
Why wouldn't someone want to be friends with someone want to be friends with an ex who wasn't hurtful towards them?
Sometimes it’s not strictly about you or them.

It’s a consideration to others who you may be (or become) involved with or a consideration towards a situation/circumstance.

How a prior relationship ended may have some barring on if you personally want to keep in contact, but it’s not an ironclad rule that parting on good terms means remaining on good terms moving forward.

Some people seem to think no ill will means the go ahead and in the clear for further contact.
While that may be the case for some, not all circumstances will benifit from this way of approach.

It’s “appropriateness” depends on many factors, not just how well you get along with one another once romance is cut away.

Last edited by rego00123; 10-05-2017 at 11:18 PM..

Old 10-05-2017, 11:42 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,232 times
Let's also not forget, because I'm not sure if it's been said or not.

Sometimes people NEED to move on from an ex, just to get them out of their mind. And if that's the case, trying to be friends with them isn't the best thing for that person. This is not always an indictment on the ex as a person. It doesn't mean they're a terrible person, or a ****ty friend.

It's just what one must do, A LOT of the times in these situations, in order to move on.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:25 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
I was good friends with an ex for the past seven years! But then suddenly five months ago, it just wasn't working any more - so I stopped talking to him.

I don't know if we'll ever start talking again. We might, but I can't quite picture it.

I was with him as a boyfriend-lover for eight years a long time ago. And then seven years ago, we re-established contact and started being platonic good friends, having lengthy phone calls of 2 hours and 2.5 hours a couple or 3 times per week.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:34 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
lol Ok, you're one of those types that just likes to be contrary. People are going to do whatever they want to do in their lives. No one has to explain it to you and frankly I don't see why you even care. If you're just going to keep parroting "why" over and over again then there's no point in even trying to reason with you. Good luck with your idiocy. Have a good night!
Nailed it.

It doesn't take the new folks long to figure it out.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:34 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Why?

Here's why.
And here's why and why I find people who have this kind of mindset to be people I'm less likely to want to date.
This is just not a sign of a mature relationship or breakup.

It seems like there's a lot of people who are opposed to the concept.
Or they aren't good at expressing themselves.?
What the hell is a mature breakup anyway? I think we dont want to be together, end of sentence. I think it is best to help the process of moving on we conduct our own lives completely independent of each other. I can't move on if you are in my airspace. I need that space to mourn the ending of the relationship and get my together and the mature thing to do is for us to allow that space for each other.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:41 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
For those who can access it, here is a truly amazing story about remaining friends:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/29/s...%2Fmodern-love
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships