Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 01:23 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,732 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will thank you in advance.

I have not dated in years as I have been busy raising a child and going to grad school following a divorce. In addition, I moved around a lot.
My friend encouraged me to join a dating site and I did. I met a man and we have been talking and texting for quite a few months. We reside in different states from one another.
This man will be in town this week and is speaking at two conferences (maybe a third too) and it was implied that I would spend the weekend with him. Now he told me that he does not take dates to his conferences because they have gotten mad at him because he is unable to pay attention to the date. I am outgoing so I doubt this would bother me. Whatever.
I asked when we can get together and he said, "I was thinking Saturday for lunch." I am irritated because I was under the impression we were closer than that.
In his defense, I mentioned that I had only ever "been with" six men due to being in long term relationships and that I am nervous to jump in the sack (basically). He said well let's take it slow if you are conflicted, and then when you come to visit me we can go to dinner, talk, laugh and have fun. We can get to know each other better.
I have asked two close male friends and they both said to go to lunch with him. One stated something fishy is going on and the other suggested he wants to take it slow.
I feel hurt and confused because I have become a Saturday lunch girl instead of the the event date and evening lady. I have been told I look very young (I am 46) and that I am beautiful by many people including teenagers. He has only seen my pictures and says the same. He is about ten years my senior and looks 20 years my senior, but I really like him.
Should I go to lunch with him? Another issue is my son has a sports tournament on Saturday at 11:30 AM so it would need to be a late lunch. Also, I don't want to drive the 56 miles to meet him around his hotel. If he is going to make me the Saturday lunch girl he can drive and meet in the middle.
Any insight from men and women would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 01:25 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
You've only been texting and talking for a few months? You've never met in person?

Old 10-11-2017, 01:26 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Lunch is perfect. That way it is not awkward if you find there is no connection when you first meet. And there is a good chance there won't be. Texting isn't the same. Planning a whole weekend with someone you've never met just sounds insane to me.

I just drove 40 miles to meet a man for lunch Monday. It was fine.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Lunch is perfect. That way it is not awkward if you find there is no connection when you first meet. And there is a good chance there won't be. Texting isn't the same. Planning a whole weekend with someone you've never met just sounds insane to me.

Exactly, that's why I asked if they ever met in person. If they didn't, I can't see spending a weekend together. Nothing wrong with meeting in person for the first time and having lunch.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:40 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Nothing wrong with lunch

Old 10-11-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
You've only been texting and talking for a few months? You've never met in person?
Yes. I know, I'm new to this.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Thank you! We just feel closer than this, but I am demanding!
How'd your date go?

Old 10-11-2017, 02:00 PM

123 posts, read 120,830 times
I'd only want lunch vs. being on the hook as a date to an event with a person I've never met too. Seems reasonable to me.

Edit: But yes, if he has transportation he should be up for meeting in the middle.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Exactly, that's why I asked if they ever met in person. If they didn't, I can't see spending a weekend together. Nothing wrong with meeting in person for the first time and having lunch.
Thank you...we do talk a lot, so I figure at least dinner. I guess I am so new to this that I have unrealistic expectations.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Thank you...we do talk a lot, so I figure at least dinner. I guess I am so new to this that I have unrealistic expectations.
I think it's normal to feel that but do keep it realistic I've had great conversations with people then in person all the chemistry was gone. Sometimes it just happens.

For me, the best thing is to not have expectations. Let things happen naturally. See how lunch goes then take it from there. Maybe lunch will turn into dinner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships