Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 12:27 PM

118 posts, read 625,158 times

Advertisements

How do you personally feel? Do you feel good, as if they were complimenting you personally? Or maybe its the same as if someone was complimenting your new wheels? Physical feature can be their hair, eyes, and the rest you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 12:35 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
if you take it as a "compliment" when someone else is given the compliment, then that says to me you see them as a possession or an object, also that you have really poor boundaries, can't separate what's them and what's you.

your sweetheart is not your car, and to even draw the similarity indicates you do see them as something you "show off" or have for status or are flaunting your "good taste" or whatever. creepy to me. i'd say the person is into superficial appearances and trying to impress others and building their ego in some way.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:44 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,224,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRed View Post
How do you personally feel? Do you feel good, as if they were complimenting you personally? Or maybe its the same as if someone was complimenting your new wheels? Physical feature can be their hair, eyes, and the rest you know.
I don't take it as them complimenting me personally because the compliment was directed at my fiancee who is his own person. I do feel good about it but more in a sense of "yeah, I'd have to agree with you on that" LOL.

I've had people tell me, "wow, he has a really nice smile" or "he has a great personality"... I smile and feel good when someone tells me that but it comes from a place of loving him for those very same qualities and more. I may say to them "yeah he does doesn't he"... or "thank's he's a great guy".

Mari

Old 03-17-2008, 12:45 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,703 times
I think that depends on what they are complimenting.. I mean if someone said "you have a nice looking wife". Take it at what it is worth. If they say she has nice "taa taa's" then that to me is totally different. It is all about your self-esteem. You can sit there and think they are thinking something other then what they are saying or just "trust" that what they are saying is truly what it is.. "a compliment" and move on.. or try to dig into a statement and try to figure out wether it is "a compliment" or a "move on your significant other". To me if you choose the later of the two.. then you have some issues with your trust and maybe it is time you check out your relationship. (of course this depends on wether they complimented your wife's appearance or her taa taa's). Most sane people wouldnt compliment her taa taa's in front of the SO. They may have issues (or you may have issues in the long run).

Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
also it's disturbing that you are asking about "physical features" compliment, again points to you seeing them as an extension of your, or your possession, or an ojbect of yours you own and are are showing off as part of you. For instance you didn't ask about if they are complimented on their LSAT scores, or their latest article published in the New York Times, or getting that promotion at work....your post brings to mind more like instead "hey great a*s on that one" or "nice rack, way to go"

Old 03-17-2008, 12:51 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
It really depends on how the compliment is made and also by who is making the compliment.

I met a really cool old WWII veteran working out at the beach and when he saw my wife he went on and on about how beautiful and sexy she was and was using old terms like "gams" (legs?) and told me I should keep her close because he'd steal her from me, and I thought it was cool. I thanked him for the compliment, but if some young person would have said the same thing it probably would have been "lights out".

Old 03-17-2008, 02:18 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
I would feel good and also good for my boyfriend. He is not a vain person. He doesn't consider himself a handsome man nor does he fish for compliments. I would want him to feel good about himself, so compliments to him would be welcomed by me. I also trust that those compliments wouldn't turn his head nor cause him to stray from me.

I've always felt my boyfriend to be a diamond in the rough. And I'm pleased to have discovered and appreciated this wonderful man way before any other woman got her claws in him. lol.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:57 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
Of course I would feel good. Who wouldn't? They're complimenting someone that I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships