Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 05:20 PM

204 posts, read 129,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Not really.

On the surface, sure, it seems like that's it. But what you're really doing is fending off any potential interaction AND absolving yourself of any responsibility for relationships.

No one asked you to tell us time and time and time again how ugly you are. You just keep coming here and repeating it, like it's a compulsion. Reading back through your posts, which is very easy to do with a laptop and CD's "search" function, it's like you think that literally is all there is to say about you.

Multiple people have offered examples over the years of truly ugly guys who manage to "get women" because they have a personality or outlook that attracts, but you don't really care. You don't appear to be at all interested in change. You seem very comfortable in this little "ugly guy" space you've created.

Of course, you aren't REALLY comfortable, deep down. But you pretend you are.

I mean, reading back over those posts, would you want to spend ANY time with a person who would write that kind of stuff about themselves? I wouldn't.

At some point you are gonna have to take a risk and let go of this idea that your looks are what's keeping you from love.
There's some on here that just have some massive self-esteem issues going on. The only way to get past that is to do something about it. I hesitate to even try to tell them that though because they fixate on the "woe is me" so much they refuse to hear anything but that. I know, I've been there, but a key difference is I also don't go around thinking I'm some hideous quasimodo. I just grew up in an area where I stuck out like a sore thumb and that got to me over time.

But you know what I did that these guys refuse to do for themselves? I got the hell over it!! Especially when it came to women. I just started talking to them and you know what, you win some, you lose some, but if you never try you don't get anywhere regardless. But they have to want it, and they don't. As you so succinctly pointed out, you can read it with every post they make. It's a true self-fulfilling prophecy because even when they have a chance to get a woman's interest they find a way to sabotage themselves just so they can reinforce their already negative opinion of themselves. And that kind of mindset you just cannot reason with.

I wish those guys the best, but until *they* want to change themselves, it won't make a difference what they're told. They won't look beyond their box of misery that they're so comfortable in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 06:18 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
I am not afraid to talk to men... there are just some men ( who approach me) that I don't want to talk to.
If they want to take it as a sign that I am afraid to talk to them.... it's all good. A win for them and a win for me.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:36 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I am not afraid to talk to men... there are just some men ( who approach me) that I don't want to talk to.
If they want to take it as a sign that I am afraid to talk to them.... it's all good. A win for them and a win for me.
If they weren't so scary, you'd probably want to talk to them.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:32 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
If they weren't so scary, you'd probably want to talk to them.
Thanks for proving my point... He thinks I think he's scary and won't talk to him... it's not him, it's me.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:30 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
There's some on here that just have some massive self-esteem issues going on. The only way to get past that is to do something about it. I hesitate to even try to tell them that though because they fixate on the "woe is me" so much they refuse to hear anything but that. I know, I've been there, but a key difference is I also don't go around thinking I'm some hideous quasimodo. I just grew up in an area where I stuck out like a sore thumb and that got to me over time.
Over the years we've seen this particular compulsion a lot. It's like, 5-6 different guys. Some come back again and again under different usernames, but some have kept the same handle for awhile.

Like WMs said, they post nothing but self-flagellating posts. They contribute little else. I came to the conclusion some time ago that there is some form of perverse pleasure in this. They humiliate and debase themselves before us, and get off on the response. Some have admitted this compulsion.

They don't want help at all. It's odd but maybe it helps them somehow.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:48 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Over the years we've seen this particular compulsion a lot. It's like, 5-6 different guys. Some come back again and again under different usernames, but some have kept the same handle for awhile.

Like WMs said, they post nothing but self-flagellating posts. They contribute little else. I came to the conclusion some time ago that there is some form of perverse pleasure in this. They humiliate and debase themselves before us, and get off on the response. Some have admitted this compulsion.

I think they get a kick out of clapping each other's backs in commiseration. It's empowering to know someone else out there is -just -like -them.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:39 PM

212 posts, read 159,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I have seen a lot of threads on forums about women marrying men they're not physically attracted to but settled for because they liked their personalities and ended up getting divorced.

I imagine that happens a decent amount. It is something I'd be worried about
You have to get a date first before you can start talking about marriage.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:25 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screami View Post
You have to get a date first before you can start talking about marriage.
Hopefully not all in the same day.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:51 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Quoted for truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post

But you know what I did that these guys refuse to do for themselves? I got the hell over it!! Especially when it came to women. I just started talking to them and you know what, you win some, you lose some, but if you never try you don't get anywhere regardless. But they have to want it, and they don't. As you so succinctly pointed out, you can read it with every post they make. It's a true self-fulfilling prophecy because even when they have a chance to get a woman's interest they find a way to sabotage themselves just so they can reinforce their already negative opinion of themselves. And that kind of mindset you just cannot reason with.

I wish those guys the best, but until *they* want to change themselves, it won't make a difference what they're told. They won't look beyond their box of misery that they're so comfortable in.
Very well said!

Old 10-20-2017, 01:24 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
I don't know how to answer your question, but i suggest that if you find her attractive, talk to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships