Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 09:44 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,148,200 times

Advertisements

Probably due to past abuse and being hurt in other ways by partners (cheating, or other crummy or below par treatment) I feel safer if I ever date again being with someone who we both like each other and have a mutual need for the other but not one in which I'm head over heels in love... that way it's less to lose...in a way I think there's more long term security and chance of long term relationship with mutual need as opposed to the romantic in love stuff.. there's reasons for that that make sense to me as I've seen it myself play out that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 09:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,331,331 times
It would probably work out well...unless/until one or the other or both decide they've met somebody where the romantic component is there, and decide that just "admiring one another, getting along well, and enjoying stability" is no longer enough.

What I'm saying is, it wouldn't necessarily protect you from heartbreak.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:51 PM

61,263 posts, read 86,169,461 times
Or... it could work out just fine. You will learn to know and trust that person, and with the time develop love and need for intimacy.
Many years ago dating was just about like that...

Old 10-14-2017, 10:15 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,745,093 times
Go for an arranged marriage. My parents and grandparents had one and they're still together.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:57 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,148,200 times
I could be like one of those mannequins on the Disneyland ride "Pirates if the Caribbean " the part where it shows the pirates auctioning off women for purchase as brides "take a wench for a bride"-- yea maybe I could get arranged into a marriage that way-- I just need to look off the coast for a pirate ship and flag them down

Old 10-16-2017, 05:48 PM

11,137 posts, read 7,872,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Probably due to past abuse and being hurt in other ways by partners (cheating, or other crummy or below par treatment) I feel safer if I ever date again being with someone who we both like each other and have a mutual need for the other but not one in which I'm head over heels in love... that way it's less to lose...in a way I think there's more long term security and chance of long term relationship with mutual need as opposed to the romantic in love stuff.. there's reasons for that that make sense to me as I've seen it myself play out that way.

If you wear your heart on your sleeve.... you're probably not going to fair any better whether it's a good friend or someone that you're head over heels for... just sayin.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:58 PM

8,919 posts, read 7,676,753 times
The fact of the matter is.....when you shut out pain, you shut out everything else too.

Having one foot in and one foot out completely defeats the purpose of an intimate relationship, IMO.

No matter which way you go about it you risk getting hurt, being disappointed, or both.

If you don't feel like you can deal with that or you're tired of downs in relationships, then don't try to get involved with other people on an intimate level.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:33 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,717,738 times
FWB is this.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:06 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,891,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
I could be like one of those mannequins on the Disneyland ride "Pirates if the Caribbean " the part where it shows the pirates auctioning off women for purchase as brides "take a wench for a bride"-- yea maybe I could get arranged into a marriage that way-- I just need to look off the coast for a pirate ship and flag them down
I'm not sure what you want.

If you do not truly love the guy it won't get you through the tough times.

However, hanging out and fulfilling each others sexual needs..... I'm in. lol

Old 10-20-2017, 08:30 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,326,351 times
“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”

C.S Lewis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships