Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,250,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Hardly, I'd say it distorts things more than anything else. You may have a small crush on someone, but if you drink, that can be amplified and you could tell them you love them. Or if you're annoyed by something, when you drink it could cause you to go into a rage. There's a reason people often regret things they say and do when they're drunk and it's usually not because what they said/did was so refreshingly honest.

It's pretty simple, drinking clouds your judgement and you don't have the same decision making capabilities as you do when you're sober. The best rule of thumb is to take what someone drunk (or buzzed) says with a grain of salt.
Yep.

I'd rather have the sober truth than a drunken "confession" any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Just remember, actions speak louder than words.
Very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 10:32 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Why do you ask, OP?

Old 10-20-2017, 11:43 AM

5,313 posts, read 6,088,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why do you ask, OP?
Perhaps I'll update the last encounter I had with my friend in the thread I made about her soon..it's kinda related

Old 10-20-2017, 01:58 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,801,433 times
I wouldn't know. I never drank but I will tell you that when I'm really tired it's like I am drunk. That's one reason why I stay away from drinking. I'm crazy enough sober ha.
I get really loopy when I'm tired enough but also I feel like I have courage to say things that I would not otherwise. I've often been too honest anyway but when I'm tired I think it gets more intense and I'm normally reserved IRL (probably partially because I know better than to say what is on my mind esp when I feel the energy) so I talk more is the main thing. Sometimes it ends bad because there was a time at the yard sale when I said "f---" in front of a woman with a baby because I thought it was my phone ringing. Needless to say I think I scared her away and she didn't want to buy anything but I know there are times I need that lack of inhibition because I overthink EVERYTHING.
Considering all this it would be interesting to know what it would be like if I drank but I would never want to personally experience it. I remember one time I accidentally sipped a beer can and I thought I had a hangover..started freaking out. HSPs don't do well with substances so if I could see myself drunk...like I'm looking through glass in an alternate dimension that would be awesome. I know that's not possible but I like the idea.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:10 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
en vino veritas.....

in wine (alcohol) there is truth

...line from the movie TRAFFIC

Old 10-20-2017, 02:23 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,391,467 times
I truly believe alcohol gives you the courage to say what you normally wouldn't.. I tend to have no filter when I'm drink... I just can't shut up lol.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:52 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,285,738 times
Drunk and angry words speak sober thoughts. They mean it and they can deny it all they want but the fact of the matter is that they really mean what they say about you. I get rid of people like that in an instant.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:02 PM

691 posts, read 417,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Drunk and angry words speak sober thoughts. They mean it and they can deny it all they want but the fact of the matter is that they really mean what they say about you. I get rid of people like that in an instant.
i agree, im not a stranger to getting drunk and often ashamed that i use it as a crutch at the end of the day. when i speak with my wife about whats upsetting me she says i express more anger but it is how i feel, and that doesn't change when i get sober again- what the drinking does is stop me from thinking twice before i speak.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:52 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,854,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
You always hear people say they didn't mean it when they said something drunk to somebody. But a lot of times drinking imo makes you say something you just didn't have the guts to say sober.
Maybe.....and that is one of those reasons why I don't drink at parties. I don't want to wake up the next morning wondering if what I did, said the night before was due to party energy or alcohol.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:11 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,175,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I truly believe alcohol gives you the courage to say what you normally wouldn't.. I tend to have no filter when I'm drink... I just can't shut up lol.
But thing is, does the TRUTH reside in that? Drunk lowers inhibitions. But really, it messes with your ability to be rational.

We all know driving drunk is stupid & can result in serious consequences. But when you actually are drunk, you won't be thinking of that. You'll get in your car, and try to drive right home. lol Not because it's who you really are, or because deep down, you wanted to. But because you're not in a rational state of mind to make sound choices.

Like the example oh-eve used. You may get drunk and sleep with someone you normally wouldn't sober. Doesn't have to mean that you're sub-consciously attracted to them. Just that you were too drunk to care, or think "why not." lol

So that's the thing. Some pronounce being drunk as your true self. When really, it's your irrational / unthinking self. Sometimes some truth may be in it, but not always. Just because you can do it drunk doesn't automatically mean it's your real self, or a sub-conscious desire / truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships