Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 06:57 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
It almost sounds like you're defending women like this.
Nope. Just explaining some things to the OP. Not all women who have affairs with married guys are interested in wrecking homes. Nor are they always the ones who start anything, contrary to what the OP seems to believe. He has a strong tendency to think in black-and-white, and to buy into stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screami View Post
I can't wait for virtual reality it will put the real world to shame.
True. Then you'll never have to get out of bed! Hey, what's not to like?

Old 10-26-2017, 07:14 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Technically, they're not "women" though; they're girls, as that's mainly an attitude found in highschool.
It's a trait that's fairly common throughout the animal world
So, it's not a stretch that humans, being animals, might also share that trait.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
It's a trait that's fairly common throughout the animal world
So, it's not a stretch that humans, being animals, might also share that trait.
Humans have a far greater capacity than animals to learn from experience, and to use their intelligence, though. Most do, once they get through adolescence, give or take a few years.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Humans have a far greater capacity than animals to learn from experience, and to use their intelligence, though. Most do, once they get through adolescence, give or take a few years.
There's evidence that humans do find other humans with a partner, more attractive.
Quote:
Abstract
Mate-choice copying occurs when animals rely on the mating choices of others to inform their own mating decisions. The proximate mechanisms underlying mate-choice copying remain unknown. To address this question, we tracked the gaze of men and women as they viewed a series of photographs in which a potential mate was pictured beside an opposite-sex partner; the participants then indicated their willingness to engage in a long-term relationship with each potential mate. We found that both men and women expressed more interest in engaging in a relationship with a potential mate if that mate was paired with an attractive partner. Men and women's attention to partners varied with partner attractiveness and this gaze attraction influenced their subsequent mate choices. These results highlight the prevalence of non-independent mate choice in humans and implicate social attention and reward circuitry in these decisions.
And that this is more prevalent in women than in men
Quote:
Women Show Stronger Mate-Choice Copying than Men

Both female and male participants showed mate-choice copying. Specifically, the willingness of a participant to engage in a long-term romantic relationship with a mate (our proxy of a mating decision) varied with the attractiveness of the mate's partner. Participants were more willing to engage in a long-term romantic relationship with a mate when the mate was paired with an attractive partner (F2,109 = 85.68, p<0.0001; n = 60 (30 women 30 men); Figure 2). This change in the willingness of participants to engage in a long-term romantic relationship with a mate varied with the initial mate score (F1,6357 = 395.46, p<0.0001) and tended to vary with the sex of the participant (F1,58 = 3.47, p = 0.07).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2817731/
emphasis mine

If you have evidence that this is more prevalent in younger women, which it may be as younger women have less experience to draw on so thus may be more likely to use the wisdom of others, please present it.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:03 PM

926 posts, read 673,138 times
Quote:
Nope. Just explaining some things to the OP. Not all women who have affairs with married guys are interested in wrecking homes. Nor are they always the ones who start anything, contrary to what the OP seems to believe. He has a strong tendency to think in black-and-white, and to buy into stereotypes.
Ahhh, I see. Gotcha

Old 10-26-2017, 08:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
A lot of women won't date a 30 year old man who still lives at home with his mom, but those same women will date a man who still lives with his wife.

They should find a nice man to make a life with, instead of trying to horn in on someone else's life.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:35 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,312 times
Quote:
There's evidence that humans do find other humans with a partner, more attractive.

And that this is more prevalent in women than in men

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2817731/
emphasis mine

If you have evidence that this is more prevalent in younger women, which it may be as younger women have less experience to draw on so thus may be more likely to use the wisdom of others, please present it.
Eh, I've been single my whole life, and I don't really buy this.

And in my case, I don't care if a woman has a boyfriend or not. If I'm not attracted to her, nothing will change that, lol.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They should find a nice man to make a life with, instead of trying to horn in on someone else's life.
I don't see any reason to assume this is a conscious decision people are making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Eh, I've been single my whole life, and I don't really buy this.
What does your being single your whole life have to do with you ability to accept scientific research?

Quote:
And in my case, I don't care if a woman has a boyfriend or not. If I'm not attracted to her, nothing will change that, lol.
LOL
What does this have to do with anything?

Old 10-26-2017, 10:01 PM

276 posts, read 178,568 times
Quote:
I don't see any reason to assume this is a conscious decision people are making.

What does your being single your whole life have to do with you ability to accept scientific research?

LOL
What does this have to do with anything?
Because this is a trait particular to women. Men simply don't care if other men like the same woman. It's not bad, it's just human nature. Just like men prefer the looks younger women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships