Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 10:06 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

My grandfather married a virgin and they stayed married into their 90s.
While my father fooled around a lot and had 8 marriages.

My grandfather tried to teach me that promiscuity will lead to failed marriages.

If your wife knows there are men who are 'better at sex' than you are, she will be more tempted to quit the marriage. Whereas if her entire knowledge of sex, is with you, then it removes much of the motives for her ever wanting a divorce.

btw, I am a devout Christian and I do not believe there is anything 'spiritual' to marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 10:40 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

My grandfather tried to teach me that promiscuity will lead to failed marriages.

If your wife knows there are men who are 'better at sex' than you are, she will be more tempted to quit the marriage. Whereas if her entire knowledge of sex, is with you, then it removes much of the motives for her ever wanting a divorce.

Seriously, how insecure does one have to be to want a situation where your partner is ignorant, so you feel she won't cheat. Why did your Grandfather teach that about women, and not men?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-30-2017, 10:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Seriously, how insecure does one have to be to want a situation where your partner is ignorant, so you feel she won't cheat.

Seriously, I wouldn't want someone to stay with me because they don't know any better, or they're fearful of the unknown. That's messed up.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:47 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
It would probably work the other way round. She would have a secret yearning to experience other men.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:48 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:

btw, I am a devout Christian and I do not believe there is anything 'spiritual' to marriage.
Or you could just be so darn good at sex, that she knows she won't find better than you.

*shrug*

I mean, since I've been around the block so to speak, when I say that the one I am with now, pleases me in EXCEPTIONAL ways, there is zero mystery and I know what I'm talking about. I know for a fact that no one else has anything to tempt me with, I've been there and done that with plenty of men. Most of them were "meh" and none were so good as this. So...no temptation to stray.

A woman who has only had one...there might be mystery and curiosity about others, but it will only matter if she isn't happy with her husband. Ultimately, virginity or no virginity, people continuing to bring love and joy to one another over time is what matters. Not just in bed but in life.

As a woman, I have to think I'd feel sorry for my male partner if he got me as a virgin and kept me for the long haul. Because as a virgin, I did not know my own body or desires that well, and I was unwilling to explore more adventurous sexual activities. I was not very playful, I was too serious about it. Whatever thrill from having a nervous or shy virgin bride, would have given way to a wife who laid there, closed her eyes, and thought of England (so to speak.) It took a certain amount of experimentation and exploration with different partners to really expand my horizons, in terms of enabling me to enjoy myself and also my willingness to be "good, giving, game" and try practically anything at least once.

However, as a woman who has had plenty of male virgin partners, as that has been nearly a fetish for me in my life... I think virgin guys are great! I have a similar feeling to when you're sharing an old favorite movie with a close friend or loved one who has never seen it before, and on top of that, they are usually fun because they don't assume they know what "women" (as in prior partners who are not me) want. They can be enthusiastic and very giving bedpartners.

Mostly though...I simply have no interest in attaching shame or morality to sex. Others can do as they please, but I know what is or isn't compatible with my life and value systems. As for STDs, yeah, you had better not count on virginity as a guarantee there, folks. It helps your odds, that's all. Did you know that a large portion of the cases of genital herpes out there are in fact HSV-1? And you can catch HSV-1 without having ever had sex, it's the mouth kind with the cold sores, but you can also get sores down south from this virus...and I have in fact met a virgin who has it. He's not a kissless virgin, just a sex virgin, and if he goes down on ya, you could catch an incurable STI. Poor man.

Unfortunately a lot of the stigmas and shame surrounding all things sex in our culture, increase the odds that people will fail to disclose STDs, too, and make people far more ignorant of the facts of these matters.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:55 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Seriously, how insecure does one have to be to want a situation where your partner is ignorant, so you feel she won't cheat. Why did your Grandfather teach that about women, and not men?
It really upset him that my father went through so many women.

My grandparents firmly believed that since I was from a 'broken' home, my chances of having a long-term marriage were minimal.

When I was 22 I got married [my wife was orphaned at 12 and grew-up bouncing between cousins], a few years later I introduced my wife to my grandparents. At that event, later in the day my wife and I overheard my grandparents talking [they both wore hearing aids and usually shouted to each other]. They were convinced that we would soon be divorced. Because in their worldview, I and my wife were both lacking whatever skillset a 'normal' nuclear family provides.

So far we have been married for 36 years.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:04 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
It really upset him that my father went through so many women.

My grandparents firmly believed that since I was from a 'broken' home, my chances of having a long-term marriage were minimal.

When I was 22 I got married [my wife was orphaned at 12 and grew-up bouncing between cousins], a few years later I introduced my wife to my grandparents. At that event, later in the day my wife and I overheard my grandparents talking [they both wore hearing aids and usually shouted to each other]. They were convinced that we would soon be divorced. Because in their worldview, I and my wife were both lacking whatever skillset a 'normal' nuclear family provides.

Congratulations, that is really good to hear!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-30-2017, 11:11 AM

1,257 posts, read 888,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The ones that wait usually do nothing else after marriage. Morning, noon, and night like they are trying to make up for all that time they never had sex. Then they have 9 kids, homeschool, and dress weird. Or was that a TV show?
Oh brother.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:17 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightTL View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5PNw9kuwYs

I really respect those who are waiting, and I get that it makes it special...what else?:
You get the chance that your wife says "wow, I really hate sex". And the thrill of knowing that for the next 40 years, its same old-same old. Sounds great.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:58 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
To be fair, he's not entirely wrong. Promiscuity while being married will likely cause that marriage to fail.

Quote:
Quote:

Your grandfather's view was antiquated but that was the norm for that generation.

My grandfather had affairs while married to my grandmother. At one point, she decided to confront him and he had her committed to the psychiatric ward because of her "hallucinations". She stayed married to him, likely because divorce was taboo for their generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships