Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:26 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As it is with the N word. Civilized, educated, considerate non black people make a huge effort to never use the N word. And because it offends blacks to hear it, I and other non black people respect their feelings and don't use it. I don't make a "huge effort" to never use it. It just doesn't cross my mind at all. I can't remember a time when I even thought about saying that word much less making an effort to stop myself from using it. I just don't think that way.

But I don't think it cool, hip or acceptible for blacks to use the N word or the variations. Then they allow their non black close friends to use the N word and its variations like they are part of some exclusive club. For them, the shock value makes its use appealing. And it's got that shock because of the rest of us nice people that don't use it. You mean the ones who thought it but had to make a "huge effort" not to say it? Those nice people? You know it's possible to hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.

There shouldn't be this double standard, and if it persists, then the blacks should not be surprised when the N word gets more common usage by the rest of the population. And if this happens, they will have to understand that they will be mostly to blame for any future common usage of the N word by the general populace. The whole "I'm black so I can use the N word but you non blacks can't" is garbage.
THAT argument is garbage to me. Race CANNOT possibly be an issue in that scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 07:49 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
The "N" word is not in my vocabulary, nor any other racial slur but I know other's use these words none the less. How would you feel if a friend said this word while with you one day? Would it change the way you felt about them or viewed them?
OMG, I can't imagine a friend ever using that word. It would definately change my opinion of that person. And make me question my judgement!

I have a couple of relatives that use it. They know how I feel, but slip up on ocassion and use it in front of me. I just say, "What?" as if I didn't hear them. Then they have to repeat what they said and it's awkward for them and for me. And then I find a reason to leave or get off of the phone.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 PM

5 posts, read 16,399 times
Please understand the difference in the word "******" and "*****". The term "******" was used by white slave masters as a derogatory reference and distorted use of the word "negro". Of course it's use by a Caucasian in present day broods horribly nostalgic feelings of the black experience. We use the term "*****" as a term of endearment. It is actually our way of converting what was once used as a negative word to a positive reference to one another. It's our way of minimizing it's pain.

The word "*****" used by a white person is too closely related to slavery and would not sit well with a black person. It's not a double standard. Keep in mind that white people do not have a history of slavery or a word associated with it to remind them of the harsh and painful lives of their ancestors.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:47 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
THAT argument is garbage to me. Race CANNOT possibly be an issue in that scenario.
I don't care if blacks use it affectionately with one another. And yes, we all know about those big bad white slavemasters, but it's really time to move forward. By your way of thinking, the blacks now own the N word and can use it in anyway they wish... so they can say it, but it's okay to order whitey not to use it. And that's ridiculous. No one, no race, no culture has sole ownership of any word. And what about Asians or Native Americans using the N word? They had nothing at all to do with black enslavement or segregation.

And why would black people want to be associated with slavery forever? Because that is what will happen the longer anyone uses the N word. Plus what percentage of all blacks in America have ancestors that were enslaved in the south? So the continued use of the N word is really unfairly branding all African Americans as having descended from black slaves. In addition, there are a number of blacks that object to the use of the N word by everyone including blacks. So the blacks that still use it are also disrespecting their wishes. What happened to that grand ceremonial burial of the N word back in July of 2007 headed by the NAACP? How quickly everyone forgets that event.

I just don't get it. I dislike the word ch*nk and g**k, and I don't enjoy hearing it or even saying it. And no way would I consider using those words with any of my Asian friends or family as a term of endearment. An ugly sounding word is ugly everywhere and in all contexts.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:55 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
I agree. That argument is very much garbage. It's OK for someone to say that they personally don't use the word, and then be pompous enough to say that because blacks use it, others are justified as well. Incredibly condescending without the slightest insight into the history or mindset of black and white relations in this country. Such backwards logic.

Whites can NEVER use the word. Neither can Asians or any other race seeking to emulate the white racist. It would be considered offensive, historically and rightfully so.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:04 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I agree. That argument is very much garbage. It's OK for someone to say that they personally don't use the word, and then be pompous enough to say that because blacks use it, others are justified as well. Incredibly condescending without the slightest insight into the history or mindset of black and white relations in this country. Such backwards logic.

Whites can NEVER use the word. Neither can Asians or any other race seeking to emulate the white racist. It would be considered offensive, historically and rightfully so.
You're completely misrepresenting her argument though. She isn't saying it's okay for whites to use it because blacks do. She's saying it isn't right for ANY OF THEM to say it.....

The argument is more, "How can you expect anyone to have respect for 'your history or mindset' when you allow the propagation of such a horrifically derrogatory word within your own culture...".

Old 03-22-2008, 04:06 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't care if blacks use it affectionately with one another. And yes, we all know about those big bad white slavemasters, but it's really time to move forward. By your way of thinking,

I had to cut in here.....when you refer to my way of thinking, after conveying such indifference and insensitivity in your first two sentences. The way you said things like "I don't care......" and "those big bad white slavemasters".....the sarcasm of the "And yes, we all know"........all those things just sound sarcastic and condescending to me. Especially after Misunderstood stated, "We use the term "*****" as a term of endearment. It is actually our way of converting what was once used as a negative word to a positive reference to one another. It's our way of minimizing it's pain."
Your choice of words and how you chose to convey your thoughts not only minimizes but overlooks and potentially disrespects what Misunderstood just said. So please refrain from inferring anything about my way of thinking.

the blacks now own the N word and can use it in anyway they wish... so they can say it, but it's okay to order whitey not to use it. And that's ridiculous. No one, no race, no culture has sole ownership of any word. And what about Asians or Native Americans using the N word? They had nothing at all to do with black enslavement or segregation.

And why would black people want to be associated with slavery forever? Because that is what will happen the longer anyone uses the N word. Plus what percentage of all blacks in America have ancestors that were enslaved in the south? So the continued use of the N word is really unfairly branding all African Americans as having descended from black slaves. In addition, there are a number of blacks that object to the use of the N word by everyone including blacks. So the blacks that still use it are also disrespecting their wishes. What happened to that grand ceremonial burial of the N word back in July of 2007 headed by the NAACP? How quickly everyone forgets that event.

I just don't get it. I dislike the word ch*nk and g**k, and I don't enjoy hearing it or even saying it. And no way would I consider using those words with any of my Asian friends or family as a term of endearment. An ugly sounding word is ugly everywhere and in all contexts.
If no one "owns" the word, then how can someone bury it?

Old 03-22-2008, 04:29 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,170,686 times
It's basically a "let's take a negative and turn it into a positive" type thing among the younger blacks. It happens with blacks all the time. Being black myself, I witness these types of things happen. For example, back in the 90's, all the whites hated it when people referred to the southern U.S. as being "dirty". Although hip-hop was around since the late 70's, up until the 2000's the only groups were either from California, New York, or New England. When southern artists broke into the mainstream, they said they represent the "Dirty South", which is still said to this day.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:40 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,535 times
I guess I missed that. The "Dirty South".

Old 03-22-2008, 06:41 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,426 times
Even though I am African American, I have never used the N word in my life to show affection to another African American or to publicly diminish them. I think that anyone who uses the N word lacks education and lacks respect for others. That also stands for any other racial slurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships